E4OD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark Kovalsky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD

Hay guys...

My 97 2 WD dually went into limp mode yesterday. It was shifting a little funny - then the OD light began blinking. It shifts hard - but good through the gears as I limped home.

I have an edge towing programed into the PCM.

I noticed that PO had installed an in line filter on the trans coolant line...

The fluid looks and smells a slight bit burnt -

I'm going to remove the in line filter (might be the problem) - and change the internal filter and fluid.

I changed the VSS just in case - but my speedo was working right...

I don't have a scanner.

It has a new TRS / NSS

If that in line filter is restricting flow - would that cause limp mode? - or what else could I be looking at as the problem?

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
No, the filter cannot cause the problem.

Do you want to know what the problem is? I don't know. If I knew what codes were stored in the PCM's memory I could tell you how to go about this. Without the codes, my best advice is that I'll give you a list of everything that it could possibly be and you'll start changing parts until you run out of money.

You can get Forscan for free from www.forscan.org. You can buy an ELM327 for under $30 on Amazon, among other places. I think that's a far cheaper way to fix this than to try and fix it without the codes.
ford_doctor likes this.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

ďThe good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.Ē ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

I have ordered the ELM327 scanner.

I removed and bypassed the inline filter - started the truck - still had flashing OD. I put the truck in drive and it's ok -but when I put it in reverse it died.

I talked to my local diesel mechanic and he said he remembered a bulletin years ago from ford that if the E4OD dies when putting it in reverse that the pan filter and fluid needed to be changed.

I changed the pan filter and fluid - and now the OD is not blinking - and it seems to be working right - forward and reverse.
I'm taking it to the mechanic later today for a scan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Just got it scanned. No codes. It drives and shifts like usual.
The mechanic said he remembered back in the day - these trucks and vans coming in to his shop with OD flashing - hard (limp mode shifting) and they would die when put in reverse.
He said they changed the filter & fluid and that was all that needed to be done...???
I guess I'll know after a couple of trips next week...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:52 PM
RT

My Photos: (0)
If the OD is flashing, there are transmission codes. If the scanner didnít see them, thatís just an indication his scanner isnít compatible with your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

He uses a big bulky one with blue tooth connection (from snap-on or the other tool dealer) - it has always worked before...

BTW - when I pulled the pan off the transmission - the filter fell down into the pan without me touching it -
That may have played a significant role in my issues????

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:24 PM

My Photos: (19)
If the filter fell out, that could cause the stall in reverse. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3Ē DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Took it on a 200 mile trip Monday.
Pulled and shifted good - but I noticed that when in 3rd and pushing a little hard (slight incline / etc.) - the shift into OD has a longer "pause" before actually shifting than I remember. But when in 3rd and just regular acceleration the shift is quick as I remember.
I need to change the fluid again. The darker fluid trapped in the TC and other parts has lightly darkened the almost 8 quarts I changed.
I know the entire system takes somewhere around 16 quarts. I changed 8.
I'll do it asap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in