E4OD not locking up the torque converter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD not locking up the torque converter

Hello everyone.

My E4OD in my 1997 has performed flawlessly for 240K and today it acted up.
The truck is all stock except for slightly tall tires (31"?) The speedometer has been adjusted for the tires. During general city driving it will normally lock up the torque converter at about 38MPH. Today, I was driving down the HWY with the OD enabled & even with no load load it did not lock up the torque converter or shift into OD at up to 55 MPH. After the next stop light, it shifted perfectly with the converter locking at about 38 MPH & OD kicking in at about 41 MPH. Of probably ten stop lights, it shifted correctly eight times and incorrectly twice. I did not get any flashing OD light & except for the no-locking torque converter it does not appear to be slipping or doing anything funny. Is there something simple to look at? Problematic electrical connection to clean or? I'm about to drive home & we'll see what it does.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1997 F250 XLT SC/LB AT Powerstroke 4X4 all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 AM

The only time my torque converter failed to lock up was when I had a trailer plugged into the electric connection and I had the lights on. When I turned the lights off, still hooked up, the torque converter resumed working. The trailer must have had a wiring problem and was providing some type of backfeed.

I don't know how this would relate to your problem, but it's all I can offer from personal experience.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 AM

check your high mount brake light bulb. The smart guys at ford tied a lot of functions into that. (cruise control, transmission shifting... intermittant wiper delay ) lol not the last but some benign stuff. Cruise control is part if the torque convertor lockup....try the bulb...

A Ford man all my life.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

From left to right:
My 86 F700 Dump Truck 370 Lima engine
92 F-250 4X4 W/ 35 in mudders 5.8 gas
TC 45 New Holland tractor Diesel
Old green 20 ft goosneck stock trailer
97 F-350 7.3 4 door dually
NOT pictured are the 68 Ford 2000 Tractor that I grew up on, and the 73 F100 of my son's. I also have a new addition, an 92 E-350 in 5.8 gas
Of all the things I've ever lost I miss my mind the most!

97 F-350 Dually
Superchips 1705 (does anybody do this one anymore?)
K&N Intake
Hayden Tranny cooler (The Biggest they make!)
Boost Relief (not that I have needed it LOL!)
GlowShift A pillar gauges
Straight Piped (Not yet Illegal in my neck of the woods!)

Want:
Big Injectors
More Power
More Reliability
More Mpg
(An oxy-moron I know!!!)

Last edited by GA Farmer; 05-29-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in