E4OD Overheating - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E4OD Overheating

Hi guys, I've been fighting some overheating issues with my 97 F350. Trans was rebuilt about 3 years ago, maybe has 30k on it now. When I am pulling a trailer the temps like to climb towards 240ish in the summer. Leading me to not really use the truck in the summer anymore. It'll climb to 190-200 just cruising empty/no trailer as well.

I had lots of issues with the trans rebuild initially. Kept eating TCs at first, but the builder finally got that squared away. Everything shifts good and there's no blatant signs of issue. It'll pull like an SOB when I'm using it and drives great. I have good flow out of the coolers (factory and aftermarket hooked in tandem). Guess the builder decided he didn't want to warranty his work anymore because he dodged me for the last year of warranty when I was trying to get it to him to look at.

I've never let it get higher than 240 on the gauge and its never thrown any trans codes. Any thoughts?

1997 F-350 Ext. Cab Dually- Tymar Intake, RiffRaff 4/4 Comp Wheel, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Cat Delete, Muffler Delete, 160cc Stage 1 Rosewoods, 6.0 I/C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Where are you measuring the temperature?

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Where are you measuring the temperature?
Drivers side just above pan.

1997 F-350 Ext. Cab Dually- Tymar Intake, RiffRaff 4/4 Comp Wheel, EBPV Delete, 3" DP, Cat Delete, Muffler Delete, 160cc Stage 1 Rosewoods, 6.0 I/C.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 PM

How many coolers do you have? Your description isn't clear.

When you say you have good flow, what does that mean?

Is there anything blocking the airflow to or through the grill?

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Factory cooler in the radiator and I have a second cooler that I installed. Mounted in front of intercooler, down inside the bumper where the air holes are.

Truck has been intercooled, but I did not see a noticeable difference in trans temperature once it was installed. So I do not think its blocking airflow.

If I disconnect the return line from the coolers and have someone fire the truck up. I immediately get a solid stream of trans fluid. Have not actually flowrated it though.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFlansky View Post
Factory cooler in the radiator and I have a second cooler that I installed. Mounted in front of intercooler, down inside the bumper where the air holes are.
Did you remove the original air to oil cooler? Do you have two or three coolers?

Quote:
Truck has been intercooled, but I did not see a noticeable difference in trans temperature once it was installed. So I do not think its blocking airflow.
Has some debris been caught between the coolers? That will restrict airflow.
Quote:
If I disconnect the return line from the coolers and have someone fire the truck up. I immediately get a solid stream of trans fluid. Have not actually flowrated it though.
Here is how to tell if you have good flow or not.

1. Get two containers, each at least a gallon. Get a friend to help.

2. Warm up the trans.

3. Remove the cooler line where it attaches to the rear of the trans. Point the line into the first container.

4. Have your friend start the engine, leaving it at idle in park.

5. As soon as the flow is steady (should only be 2-3 seconds) move the line to the second container. NOTE: If there is fluid spraying out of the transmission SHUT THE ENGINE OFF. This indicates the test has failed. A small drip or even a few drips out of the trans is normal.

6. Keep the line in the second container for EXACTLY 15 seconds, then move it back to the first container and shut the engine off.

7. If there is at least one quart in the second container it passes and the flow is normal. If there is less than a quart, or there was a spray coming from the trans it fails the flow test.

A failed test means one of three things.

a. There is a restriction in the cooler circuit. This could be a damaged/kinked/pinched hose, debris in one or both coolers, or a damaged cooler.

b. The bypass valve on the side of the trans has failed. Rebuild kits are available. They are inexpensive and easy to install.

c. The pump is worn out. This is not very common, but it can happen.

Mark
Former

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I removed the small factory air-to-air cooler and replaced it with a larger one. So there is 2 coolers on the truck.

No debris between radiator and IC. Pretty religous about keeping it clean.

Looks like rain here today so I won't be doing any harvesting. So I'll re-test the flow using the procedure you have listed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in