Engine died suddenly while driving - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine died suddenly while driving

This my first diesel ive owned. I have a 1997 f350 "california" with a 7.3 with 180k miles. Ive experienced the engine cutting out while driving, cranks but no firing. ive had glow plug system issues lately resulting in replacing the glow plug solenoid with the White Rodgers upgrade which solved the check engine issue. Also replaced fuel filter and changed oil. Another concern i have is my OBD port is dead, ive pulled codes in the past with no issues and now it wont even register on the reader that is hooked to a port. Nothing wrong with the reader, works on other cars. Ive order a cam shaft position sensor and replaced all fuses hoping to solve this, im stumped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:26 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Start with the basics,

Do you get the WTS light?

Do you see RPM's on the tach?

Did you test the fuses or just replace them? That can get expensive with the maxi fuses under the hood. Check fuse 22 under the hood again and make sure that it isn't blown, if it is disconnect the fuel heater off of the filter housing. Also fuse #9 which supplies power to the PCM.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

What ive discovered so far:

-So I have no WTS light. Checked all connections on PCM and bolts are tight, nothing burnt when i pulled connection off. Wires under dash are good.

-My RPM jumps when i crank, but no fire. Guess that rules out cam shaft sensor.

-Discovered oil in my glow plug connections at the valve cover gasket and harness on left cover

-Discovered a burnt/melted glow plug connection on the harness plug connecting to right side valve cover gasket. Towards back of engine. Guess thats the sourse of my orginal glow plug problem.

-Looks like ill be replacing 1, possibly 2 valve cover gaskets and and harness plug.

-All my fuses are good, tried disconnecting the heater plug on the bowel and still not firing.

-With a dead OBD port, no WTS light and all connections to PCM solid. Did I fry the PCM?

Sorry if im throwing alot at you, thank you for your time thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:17 PM

My Photos: (19)
I would check the 5V Reference voltage to see if you get it. See this post: https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...cation-610145/
Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Update on my current situation. Replaced Glow plug solenoid, cam sensor, fuel bowel heater, valve cover gasket/ inner glow plug wiring and burnt harness plug. Still not firing. No wait to start and rpms jump. Check enging light comes on. Are my problems pointing at the PCM?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 PM

My Photos: (19)
It could be pointing towards the PCM, but I would check the 5V reference signal before trying another PCM (see my previous post for the linked post info). The Cali DPC-312 PCMs are hard to find! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in