fuel filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel filter

Hello,
I need to change the fuel filter on my 95 7.3 TD and I am not really sure where it is. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction? Actually if any one has the picture step by step instructions that would be great; than you much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 AM

My Photos: (9)
It is dead center on top of the engine. Basically where the carb would sit on a gas engine.

If you have the decorative cover on the engine, you flip the lid up to expose the filter housing.

In this pic,

FuelBowlConnector pictures from cars photos on webshots

it is the round black item. Use a long screwdriver or similar and just twist off the lid between the tabs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by STurbo90; 04-25-2008 at 03:00 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:30 PM

I have not personally changed mine, but it has been part of routine maintenance. I have an additional question. When the cap/cover is unscrewed to change the filter and inspect it will the fuel system loose its prime and have additional air in the lines. Are there any additional tricks to changing it out? How often should it be changed? Thanks

1997 F-350XLT CrewCab,4x4,7.3L Diesel,Auto,California Truck,Roll-a-long package,95K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
I have not personally changed mine, but it has been part of routine maintenance. I have an additional question. When the cap/cover is unscrewed to change the filter and inspect it will the fuel system loose its prime and have additional air in the lines. Are there any additional tricks to changing it out? How often should it be changed? Thanks
The fuel system is self-priming. Any air will be purged back to the fuel tank. The filter element is kinda "Clipped" to the lid so it comes out of the filter canister as You remove the lid. Save Your lid of Your new filter already comes with it's own lid. The tapered sealing ring included with the new filter should be wetted with fuel before You tighten the filter cap. Make sure the seal ring is positioned properly before Your tighten the lid. Make sure You tighten the lid securely.

As far as how often it should be changed..... Well that depends. I run My filters 50,000-60,000 miles, sometimes a bit more and they look fine when I take them out. If You buy fuel from someplace with filthy tanks and aren't careful about using clean fuel nozzles You could need to change the filter every 5000 miles. I think the owner's manual recommends 12,000 or 15,000 miles. But it's only a Guideline.

Denny
'96 F-250 Reg. Cab 4X4 5-sp POWERSTROKE
298,500 mi & NO Problems, LUK Clutch
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When you change the filter it is best to drain the fuel into a container under the truck. If you look up on the front passenger side of the engine you will see a tube ending above the front end. Place a piece of 3/8" hose on this tube and drain the fuel into a container. The valve to do this is located on the filter housing with a yellow tab on it. Just move it 90 degrees and loosen the cap and it should drain. This is also the way that you get the water out of the housing where it has been separated out from the fuel.
There are also two types of filters that you can buy. One has a lid attached to the filter already and the other uses the stock lid. If you get the one with the lid already attached and the one on your truck has one that separates keep the old one just in case you need it later.
As far as mileage it depends on how clean the fuel you are buying is. I change mine once a year but I think that 15,000 is the factory recommendations and the system is self priming in that all you need to do is crank the engine over until it fills the housing and the truck starts.
Another thing that you should check when you have the filter out is the fuel heater element at the bottom of the bowl. It has a habit of coming loose from its mounts and shorting out, so if it looks like it is loose you may have to deal with it since when it shorts out it will blow a fuse and the truck doesn't run until it is disabled or repaired.

Jim

Jim

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:45 PM

Thanks for all the help, one more question. How long will the engine crank in order to fill the fuel bowl?

1997 F-350XLT CrewCab,4x4,7.3L Diesel,Auto,California Truck,Roll-a-long package,95K miles
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

got it done

Thanks for the help. I just did not know where to start looking. Thanks again.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonA View Post
Thanks for all the help, one more question. How long will the engine crank in order to fill the fuel bowl?
Just turn the key on for the WTS light and wait a 10 count, the fuel pump will purge the system and it will crank right up. Just don,t forget to close the fuel drain lever, that you opened to drain the bowl prior to changing the filter or you will make a heck of a mess in your driveway. I only did it once.

2004 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4 FX4, DRW
Dark Toreador Red/Silver, 6.0L, Torqueshift Auto, ESOF, 4.10 LS, Camper Package, Dual Alternators. Build Date 6-8-04, Eng 5-28-04, Lance 9.5 Ft Camper.

Past 2002 F-350 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, Toreador
Red, 7.3L, Auto, DRW, Fully Loaded.

Past 94.5 F-250 Lariat, Supercab 4X4, 5 spd 7.3L PSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in