FUEL PRESSURE REG LEAK/ NO START - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FUEL PRESSURE REG LEAK/ NO START

I found a large fuel leak at the fuel pressure reg assembly (truck still ran great minus the fuel soaked intake valley. I cleaned out the valley, was putting my hands under the pressure regulator to better determine the leaking fitting/source. The wires to the fuel bowl/harness wiggled a slight amout as my hand was moving around there. The truck would intermittantly cut in and out. I never had any problem with loose connections before. I thought it might be due to fuel saturation on the connectors, or the ICPR (The sensor was getting dripped all over from the previous day and is very wet). I removed the fuel regulator, replaced an o-ring, reconnected it and went to start the truck. It blew the 25 AMP ECM Fuel heater fuse. I removed the fuel heater wire, isolated and insulated it from the fuel bowl, changed the fuse and went to restart. Dead. I wiggled the wires and managed to get it to fire again, no problem. The fuel press reg is still dripping a bit (I think the housing is seeping from somewhere). I turned the truck off, tried another o-ring) and went to start the truck. Dead. Checked all under dash and under hood fuses. All good. So what now? Could the ICPR fail due to saturation? What if the fuel press reg is faulty itself? How do I know? the fuel bowl is full. It was dark and I was getting very tired... what if the two large threaded fuel lines were reversed? (I REALLY doubt I would mix those two up but I have to ask to cover all basis). It cranks, it doesn't blow fuses, but its a dead no start. Any suggestions?
Thanks

96 FORD SUPERCAB, 5"LIFT, 315 BFG M/T'S, 10 000LB WARN WINCH, BUSH BUMPER, GUTTED EBPV, CUSTOM AIR INTAKE, OPEN EXHAUST AFTER DOWNPIPE, UPGRADED IDM, WAITIN FOR $$ FOR MORE MODS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

also, forgot to mention.. I do have a tach reading when engine turns over, and I do have oil pressure on the gauge... all that was fine right before I had my hand down in the intake valley area near the wiring.

96 FORD SUPERCAB, 5"LIFT, 315 BFG M/T'S, 10 000LB WARN WINCH, BUSH BUMPER, GUTTED EBPV, CUSTOM AIR INTAKE, OPEN EXHAUST AFTER DOWNPIPE, UPGRADED IDM, WAITIN FOR $$ FOR MORE MODS.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:03 AM

I'd next check the ipr connection/wires. They are right there also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 F250 PS. Stock with 190k. Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:05 AM

The threaded fuel lines are return lines from the fuel galley back to the fuel regulator. I wouldn't think it would matter. I'll take a look at mine.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM

On mine the passengerside fitting on the regulator goes to the passenger side head.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

How does the fuel system flow- fuel pump to fuel filter, thru the heads, to fuel press regulator to return line right? I'm over thinking things now I think... what are the four fuel connections on the fuel pressure regulator?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:00 PM

from the tank via hard line>upper, diaphragm pump though flex blue hose>fuel bowel/filter>lower high pressure pump> out to the heads through the solid lines to the rear of the heads> through the fuel galley to the front of the heads> out the threaded fuel lines to the front of the fuel regulator> back to the tank through the black hose to the hard fuel line.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Update: I looked carefully at the wiring, and one of the two wires on the IPR harness looks as if it has pulled out of the connector, but wasn't obvious. This makes perfect sense as to when I moved the wiring harness it would cut in and out because that wire harness for the fuel bowl branches off to that connector also. Being covered in diesel make it that much more slippery if the crimp on those wires was weak to begin with, it allowed the wire to slide out of the connector.

So does anyone know the ford part number of that connector? I'm trying to find a doorman product for it (rather not pay ford prices and limited availability). I will fix the connector and hopefully that is the problem.

Then I hope the fuel leak is solved. keep you posted.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 05:07 PM

International sells the pig tail or I believe you can use the connector from the ebpv. Diesel Orings also sells the harness.

1995 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 XLT 5 speed 63k miles, 6637, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, exhaust brake, gauges, 2.25" PMF RSK, v codes, 325/65/R18s

Sold: 1997 F250 Supercab 4x4 XLT (California Model) 178k miles 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, AFE intake, Swamps AD injectors, Beans Fuel System, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, International Bellowed Up Pipes, Stancore GPR.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

IPR connector was the issue. Truck now starts. Now the fuel leak. I'm looking to the the tightwad modification but I want to use an aftermarket regulator with my stock mechanical pump. Now researching that if anyone has info or links.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 PM

I believe diesel orings.com offers a regulator rebuild kit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in