Fuel pump, please educate me for fight with stealer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
m4d

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pump, please educate me for fight with stealer

New to the forum here, best thing I've found to go with my beloved '97 HD F-250. Issue: took truck to local stealer with minor fuel leak. Figured it could be one of 3 scenarios. least $$, loose clamp/hose. Next, bad o-rings on fuel/water drain vavle. BTW, after spending an hour searching and reading here, I figured that was most common. Most $$$$, fuel pump, only because I've heard that they will "weep" like a water pump before going out. Question: If it is true they will weep,where do they wet? I had wet fuel pretty much front to back in the top valley of the motor. Of course stealer calls me and says it's the fuel pump. $630.00 later, I drive it 4-5 miles home, still smell diesel pop the hood and clearly the top valley has been all nicely degreased and a fresh new pool of diesel sits in front of the fuel pump near the fuel filter housing. Call stealer really P.O.ed now, take it back in only to be told "nothing wrong, just residual fuel" I say B.S., any thoughts and THANK-YOU, sorry for the rant, I never believed it was the fuel pump in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 AM

Re: Fuel pump, please educate me for fight with stealer

I had a problem with my fuel filter housing. same senario, fuel on the top of the motor thought it was the fuel pump removed the fuel filter housing and upon inspection i noticed a small hole in the bottom. After removing the filter, tube and heater out of the housing i could see that the whole bottom of the housing was porus and i was able to push four new holes in it while i was cleaning it. new fuel filter housing and no more leaks.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 AM

My Photos: (19)

There's a lot of places for leaks to occur on these things! Like was mentioned, the bottom of the filter bowl can rot out, there are three hoses to/from pump and filter, the regulator to bowl joint, fuel heater connection, fuel restriction sensor, water in fuel sensor, fuel drain, filter lid, banjo bolt on the aft end of the pump, the pump itself and a few others! Actually you will probably find that the most common is the pump leaking at the weep holes and maybe the banjo bolt. The restriction sensor also likes to leak. If it is the pump, the price looks about right. If you could do it yourself, the pump is only about $79 at AutoZone. If you have a California model 1997, it will be harder to change the pump due to the extra pulse dampener that those models have. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
m4d

Thank-you Patrick Feeley, is there any particular pattern to the wetness from a weep hole on the fuel pump? Where is/are the weepholes on the pump?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thank-you Patrick Feeley, is there any particular pattern to the wetness from a weep hole on the fuel pump? Where is/are the weepholes on the pump?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right now a clean up should be first.
We are lucky diesel doesn't ignite like gas. No excuse for them leaving raw fuel after a repair. Not Blue Oval certified work there. You could clean up mess and build a paper towel dam around suspect leak areas mentioned to narrow the leak down and test. Weep hole should be bottom on Ford pump. Fuel pump area leak should go back and out a drain hole in back of intake. Drips by starter etc. Can't rule out poss differances in CA model. Ford parts have 1 yr war. even if bought over the counter. If there is still a leak, a friendly chat with the Ser Manager explaining 2 visits is in order since you went back once and up the line if needed. Be nice [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]. If a fight is in order, there is a district Ford Corp manager the dealers answer to. On edit: Bad news, no way to prove pump wasn't leaking if other leak is found, but a labor adjustment like free to be leak free is something. There is a DIY if it is the bottom of housing also. Regards.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:02 PM

Sorry to hear about the mess. I agree that a good wash job is the first order. Just take and spray everything down with a good degreaser with the engine cold. Let it sit for a few and then spray it down with water, let the water run with pressure for a while in the valley and get all residue and gravel and crumbs and stuff out of there. Then you have to get all the water out. You could park on a steep uphill slant, wait till morning, or blow it out with compressed air. Then take the truck for a fast drive and get it hot to dry the rest. Once hot, you should be able to look in there real good with a light and see where the leak is. Don't drive for too long as you don't want the fuel to spread all over.

FWIW, I've had fuel leaks from a bad pump. (reletively easy fix). A bad hose leading to the pump, blew a pinhole in the filter housing (mad crazy amounts of fuel drained (1/4 tank in a few miles), Drips from the water drain shaft thing, and most commonly is that little black disc thing that screws into the FPR. Can't remember what it's called but it's gone bad twice on me.

Well loved
, New 4.10s (PRECISION GEAR), Truetrac (DETROIT LOCKER), Hubs (WARN), 4"/7" lift (SKYJACKER), 35x12.50 (PRO-COMP), 100 Gallon VO Tank (greasel.com), Dominator 66 Turbo, Stage 1 Injectors, 6 Position (BDP), Clutch (LuK), 6.0 Intercooler (4WP Dumpster), DP & Guages (SCHEID DIESEL), 4" exhaust - properly loud (BD-POWER), 203' Tstat (dieselsite.com), Prerunner bar (N-FAB), DIY Electric Fuel, Raptor-150 Pump, HID headlamps, spots, and fogs, 225000 (s)miles,
, 2002 HPOP not installed
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM

nospark, if you end up needing a new filter housing i have a brand new one i need to get rid of, let me know, thanks, scott. its also listed here in the for sale section under powertrain.

97 f350 cc 4x4, srw ,tde1, 4.10 gears,head studs w/ factory gaskets' bts tranny mobil 1 synthetic diesel site full pull injectors h2 turbo, 02 hpop ,twin tymar intake ,beddins custom fuel system ,custom ladder bars,turbo life saver,dead kitty, ,dp tuner 4 position chip,hypermax innercooler,oil filler extension,,maghytec pan,4inch exaust w/ 4" stacks, aux tranny filter,dual aux tranny coolers, autometer a-pillar 3gauge,295 nitto at's,4inch lift,ranchhand bumpers front&rear

If you are reading this, THANK a teacher. If you are reading this in ENGLISH, THANK a soldier!!!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
m4d

Thanks very much to the replys. ALL very good info. Teaches me one thing for sure. Enough! Don't go play hockey, don't go fishing, don't go jet-boating. First, fix your truck yourself!Born and raised in Detroit, always fixed my own. Got a lot older{pronounced lazy}and gave it up. Update, service mgr. called me, says sorry, there's a%% to be chewed. Thanks again, love this forum!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 08:06 AM

My Photos: (13)

Hopefully you paid with a CC. If so make a stop payment. They did not fix the problem so refuse to pay.

1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in