Good Deal? 1994 7.3L that needs work - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good Deal? 1994 7.3L that needs work

Hi All,

I've got a 2003 7.3, CCSB Lariat 4x4 with 211K miles on it. I love it but it's been a project and it's an extra vehicle so I'm thinking of selling and going to an older body style, maybe back to a gas F150 but still would love to have a diesel.

I happened to find a 1994 F250, long bed, extended cab 4x4 which is exactly what I want. It's got the 7.3 turbo so it must be a late 1994 - I'm going on a trip tomorrow and may check it out while I'm driving because it's on the way and saves me another two hour trip.

My question is whether the guys on this forum (that know much more than I do) think it's a good deal. It's got 280K on it and has some issues. The owner had trouble getting it started and after putting a lot of parts in it with no success it sat for about a year and half. Recently when he decided to sell, he got it started by pouring fuel directly into something (not sure what he's doing exactly). He says doing it this way will get it started and then it will run from the fuel in the tank but it will not start on its own from the tank. Otherwise he says the tranny is good, 4x4 works well, overall it's in good shape.

He's asking $2700 and sounds like he's got a few hundred dollars worth of negotiating room AND is willing to tow it to me since I'm traveling (coincidentally he'll be coming my way in two weeks so he said he'd bring it to me if I come up and decide I want it).

Supposedly a diesel mechanic came by interested in buying but never came back - he told the current owner/seller that he thinks an upper injection something or other needs to be rebuilt or some other injection system. This isn't anything I'm familiar with and I don't know if this guy knows what he's talking about.

Bottom line - would you guys roll the dice for say $2500 to get a 1994 F250, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 with 280K and the turbo 7.3 based on what I've noted above? I'm pretty handy with a wrench and would do the work myself, I just don't want to get into TOO much of a project.

Any ideas what may cause a no start issue (seems fuel related)? Strange that whatever the issue is, it's only stopping the truck from starting but not from running.

Any input is appreciated. I'm not in a hurry to "downgrade" to an older truck but happened to see this one and it looks like it may be exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 PM

94 7.3 came in 2 turbo flavors. Idi or di(powerstroke) the idi has a spider injection pump up top where the powerstroke has the fuel filter housing. As far as I know the powerstroke only came with a zf5 in 94.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwester03 View Post
94 7.3 came in 2 turbo flavors. Idi or di(powerstroke) the idi has a spider injection pump up top where the powerstroke has the fuel filter housing. As far as I know the powerstroke only came with a zf5 in 94.

Okay that makes sense. The current owner talked about turbo vs PS and auto vs manual. He said it has a ford turbo on it and is automatic (which it was manual).

So if that means it's not a powerstroke, I guess I'm in the wrong forum. Any suggestions on where I can look for advice on whether it's a worthwhile buy?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What are the 8th and 10th digits of the VIN?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
If you don't have the vin and have popped the hood the IDI Turbo will have the injector lines outside of the valve covers where the Powerstroke will all be under the valve covers.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

I haven't seen it yet. I'm going on a short trip tomorrow and plan on making a detour tomorrow to see the truck. Otherwise, I'll have a 4 hour round trip just to see the truck vs tacking on 45 minutes to my road trip already planned.

I'm going to see it either way and will see how he starts it and how it runs. Based on my initial research in the forums tonight it seems like it could be that the fuel injection pump is going out and/or injectors. For the right price this still seems like a worthwhile buy to me - I want a good solid truck for as cheap as I can get it (who doesn't, right?) without it being too much of a project. If I have to spend $500 on a new fuel injection pump that puts me at $3000, figure miscellaneous other stuff and I end up at $3500 total.

So for $3500, is a 94 DI Turbo 7.3 F250 with 280K, ext. cab long bed 4x4 a good deal?

(pretty sure it's the DI Turbo 7.3)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 11:52 PM

Mines a 94.5 powerstroke with the old school turbo diesel badge on the side. See if you can get a hold of an underhood pic before you make the ride.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwester03 View Post
Mines a 94.5 powerstroke with the old school turbo diesel badge on the side. See if you can get a hold of an underhood pic before you make the ride.

Not sure I'll get the photo before I hit the road, it's about 20 minutes out of my way so not a big deal to check it out and I can snap some photos then. I'm going to look today and just have to decide by next weekend which is when he'd be delivering it to me.

Seems like there's a catch though - if you're wondering about the specific model? What would make or break the decision to buy it, if it were you?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:56 AM

In my opinion the price is a little high for a vehicle that is going to need work.

As for the differences, a IDI is a good engine. It is mechanical and power can be brought up to close to the first generation of stock Powerstroke.

The first generation Powerstroke is computer controlled. It needs it's PCM and IDM to run and to fire the injectors. With a chip it will out horsepower the IDI quite easily.

It all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. If a gas F150 is all you need I would look at it real hard before I made up my mind to buy it.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
In my opinion the price is a little high for a vehicle that is going to need work.

As for the differences, a IDI is a good engine. It is mechanical and power can be brought up to close to the first generation of stock Powerstroke.

The first generation Powerstroke is computer controlled. It needs it's PCM and IDM to run and to fire the injectors. With a chip it will out horsepower the IDI quite easily.

It all depends on what you are planning on doing with it. If a gas F150 is all you need I would look at it real hard before I made up my mind to buy it.
Thanks bugman. I'm going to check it out today but found a nearly identical F150 with 225K for $2000 OBO. That truck is also about 2 hours away in the opposite direction (of course).

I'm hoping to check out both - since the diesel isn't going anywhere for a week I have time to think it over, I love having a diesel but rarely do I really need the power.

Will a 1994 diesel get better MPG than a 1994 gasser? That's one of the biggest advantages in my mind with the newer power strokes, I got nearly double the MPG with my 2003 F250 7.3 than I did in my 2003 F150 4.6 Triton truck.

Thanks again.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:58 PM

The diesel should get better mileage but then diesel cost more than regular gas and the overall maintenance is more expensive with the diesel

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:47 PM

My Photos: (2)
94 and automatic makes it an IDI. They only offered the stroker in the manuals of the 94.5 year.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:58 PM

I'd keep the cash and invest it into your 03 to straighten out whatever "problems" are occuring
NickKent likes this.

Gunga galunga...gunga -- gunga galunga.

97 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD E4OD
99 F-250 CC 4x4 7.3L PSD ZF6 E99 CALI DELETE
ROTELLA 5W-40, MOBIL1 ATF, PENNZOIL SYNCHROMESH
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSEIA View Post
94 and automatic makes it an IDI. They only offered the stroker in the manuals of the 94.5 year.
AaronSEIA

After 24 years anything might be possible.

The only sure way to tell is by the vin # but even that might not help after this long

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:16 PM

My Photos: (2)
Good point bugman. A picture of the engine in the truck will answer the question.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in