Help!... 1996 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Help!... 1996 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4

ok so please bear with me as this will very much come out sounding like chick talk.....
so i have a 1996 F250 xlt 7.3 4x4 a couple weeks ago pulling a loaded horse trailer down interstate. The truck was seeming to run fine. i did have some trouble with gear shifting (its a manual and im rusty) so i didnt think much of it.
but all of a sudden it makes a loud sound (almost felt as if we hit something) similar sound to when a transfer case jumps out of gear or whatever. (forgive me im female and truck knowledge is slim but i love my truck) all the while we basically lost power while the RPM shot way high. Now the truck cranks and runs fine but no gears so to speak it will go into 5th and still try to pull if you rev the rpms up enough but nothing with the lower gears or when clutch is pressed in. please help. Trying to figure out whats wrong with it.
I was told it could be the fly wheel, the clutch, or something with a transmission sensor??????
need i mention she has 360K miles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img].jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	127230  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:54 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would suspect the flywheel/clutch.

Do you know if it has ever been changed out? I know 360K miles is a lot if it is the factory clutch but even if it is on it's second or even third it is something to look at.

The transmissions on these trucks are fairly robust, and there are no sensors on a 5 speed manual.

By the way I'll have a moderator move this up to the 96 7.3 forum since it is a Powerstroke.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Im not really sure. Im not very truck/engine savy. i bought it only about a month ago to pull my horse trailer and get better fuel mileage than my chevy gas burner and it did do that. ive been doing tons of research and im not scared of dirty work just need a place to start . but i will try to ask the previous owner. and thanks for the tip on the sensor as well as having the post moved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:10 PM

It might be hard for to to see what is happening but it might give you a clue but you can pull the inspection cover off of the bellhousing under the truck where the transmission attaches to the engine.

If the clutch or flywheel is or started to come apart there will be pieces of material in the pan type cover. There are only 4 bolts that hold this pan on and it should come right off.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
It might be hard for to to see what is happening but it might give you a clue but you can pull the inspection cover off of the bellhousing under the truck where the transmiss

If the clutch or flywheel is or started to come apart there will be pieces of material in the pan type cover. There are only 4 bolts that hold this pan on and it should come right off.
Welll..... i know exactly what part you’re talking about as that cover is missing..... 😐 if i can get this to cooperate I’ll post video of it running and flywheel spinning (it threw sparks there right after it happened)

The truck cranks and runs but it only seems to catch in 5th gear.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 PM

If it is throwing sparks it sounds like it is still the dual mass flywheel and it is starting to come apart. It is held together with springs and the springs coming loose could be what is throwing the sparks as the grind away.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 PM

My Photos: (19)
Take a good look at the transmission bellhousing to make sure it hasn't cracked, which does happen with dualmass flywheels that go bad. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in