Help! Chance to buy this '97 F250 7.3L 4x4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to DAH7
Help! Chance to buy this '97 F250 7.3L 4x4

Yes, I'm new to this forum so I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way, but hopefully i'll find a truck soon and i'll be here to stay

Here it goes:

I live in the Southwest and I have a chance to buy this 1997 f250 4x4 with the 7.3 motor. it has 190K original miles... I currently drive a little Tacoma, but I have been wanting an older bullet proof diesel to tow a 6k lb boat/trailer. I am hoping this is the one! The guy is asking 12,000 but I am thinking he may negotiate a bit... I know this is over blue book, but I also know there is a market for these trucks since I have been looking for about a month. Just saw a 97 f350 crew cab 7.3 4x4 go for 15k a couple days ago with 170k miles...

Am I crazy for thinking about paying that much for a truck like this? Or is that in line with the going market?
MrTommy likes this.

Last edited by DAH7; 08-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:33 PM

Hi! DAH7 I do not think it is an unreasonable price if the truck has been taken care of and they have all the records to support care and replacement parts etc. I have a 95 F350 crew cab dually and it currently has 984,xxx mi. on the original engine and a good friend of mine that still hauls campers, boats, and horse trailers for a living about 2 months ago offered $10,500 for mine now of course he also, wants my spare 30,000 mi. genuine factory built motor that I have been sitting on for a long time just waiting for my original engine to die but, it still runs great. I don't put the miles on it as much as I use to but,once a year I still drive it to Florida and I also, do 6-700mi trips a few times a year. He had a 96 dually identical to mine and his motor finally bit the dust at 1,110,xxx mi. I did turn him down call me crazy if you want but, I love this truck and its in great condition considering it's age and mileage also, I know this truck inside and out and I also know how well it's been taken care of. My family will probably bury me in my truck with my Harley in the back. Lol Good Luck on whatever you decide to do.

I have a 95 F350 PS/DRW/LB which I bought in 05' with 102,000mi from original owner as of 6/29/12 it has 920,798 mi.on the original engine.It runs great and pulls even better.It pulls commercially anything and everything that pays me money Ha,Ha.Upgrades done are an all steel cowl induction hood to help get the heat out of the engine bay,Banks inter-cooler hardware kit using a cooler from a 99 PS,TRUCOOL tranny cooler,Magtech alum.finned tranny and rear diff.covers,DP tunes 40T,60T,60E.S&W guages BST/Trans.Temp/EGT,K&N cold air intake,BD 4"exhaust,HPturbochargers did my upgrades on turbo with banks impeller(a little diff.pitch and height than the stock garrett splitter wheel) and 1.0 exh.for faster spool-up WOW!I'm hoping to hit 1 million miles or more before having to put my drop-in crate engine in.I can only hope that it will be just as good.Hopefully! I can be of assistance to any one needing help with thier PS with problems that I may or may not have encountered.GOOD LUCK!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:41 PM

I forgot to mention the truck you a looking at by the pictures looks to have been well taken care. Hopefully, they also, have all the maintenance records to go with it and any receipts for anything replaced. I have all receipts for all oil changes, etc. for everything since my truck was new and I am the second owner of my truck. The original owner also, kept all receipts for everything done. The truck is worth whatever someone is willing to pay and they are the most popular and reliable of all the trucks. IMO

I have a 95 F350 PS/DRW/LB which I bought in 05' with 102,000mi from original owner as of 6/29/12 it has 920,798 mi.on the original engine.It runs great and pulls even better.It pulls commercially anything and everything that pays me money Ha,Ha.Upgrades done are an all steel cowl induction hood to help get the heat out of the engine bay,Banks inter-cooler hardware kit using a cooler from a 99 PS,TRUCOOL tranny cooler,Magtech alum.finned tranny and rear diff.covers,DP tunes 40T,60T,60E.S&W guages BST/Trans.Temp/EGT,K&N cold air intake,BD 4"exhaust,HPturbochargers did my upgrades on turbo with banks impeller(a little diff.pitch and height than the stock garrett splitter wheel) and 1.0 exh.for faster spool-up WOW!I'm hoping to hit 1 million miles or more before having to put my drop-in crate engine in.I can only hope that it will be just as good.Hopefully! I can be of assistance to any one needing help with thier PS with problems that I may or may not have encountered.GOOD LUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Mule, thanks for the response. The guys said he has maintenance records, so I think I am going to go look at the truck this afternoon and see if it all adds up.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM

At least you don't have to worry about it being all rusted out.What part of the southwest are you in? I'm in Arizona.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Mule, I am in Phoenix! I think the truck was a trade in from the original owner.. The guy said If I don't buy it he is going to list it for sale on ebay.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:49 PM

Yeah, I'm 2 hours north of you. Have you gone to look at it or inspect it yet? Is it at a dealership? I'm going to send you a private message with my name and phone number you are more than welcome to give me a call after I get off work at 4 30 if you would like to talk about the truck.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 06:00 PM

I sent you a private message I might have sent it twice by accident. If you don't get the message let me know.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themule67 View Post
I sent you a private message I might have sent it twice by accident. If you don't get the message let me know.
Mule, thanks for the offer.. I never got your private message though. I went and looked at the truck in person yesterday and it was not nearly as clean as it appeared in the photos. My search continues!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mule,

984,000 miles.

16,000 miles to go !

That is the highest I have ever heard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

I finally bought one, I'm going to start a new thread with photos. Thanks to everyone who offered up some guidance, I really appreciate it guys.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Mule,

984,000 miles.

16,000 miles to go !

That is the highest I have ever heard.
Yeah, it's been a great truck and it continues too. Over the years when I was hauling campers, etc. I ran across about 10 people that had over a million miles the most ever was 1,4xx,000 mi. A good friend of mine that had recently wanted to buy my truck she had 1,1xx,000 mi. on hers when she lost the motor.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM

DAH7 I'm glad you that you finally bought a truck hopefully, it will be a great one for you. If you look at the top of the screen where it says HOME,FORUMS,ACTIVE TOPICS,NEWS POSTS,etc.. the next line below it you will see in red letters private messages if you click on it- it will take you to any private messages you have. Anyway, if you ever have any ?'s about your new to you truck feel free to give me a call after 4 30pm M-F anytime on the weekends. I wont recognize the number so leave a message and I will call you back asap. My name is Mike 928-600-4578.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in