High pressure oil readings...are these normal?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question High pressure oil readings...are these normal??

Hello all,

I've been tracking down what feels like a stutter or skipping with loss of power. Yesterday I put together an assembly to read the high pressure oil pressure at the cylinder heads by removing the brass plug and attaching the hose and gauge assembly. The gauge is a liquid filled one that reads o-6000 psi so getting an EXACT reading was tough but I'd say within +/- 20 psi.

So, I was reading the following:

Idle: 620 psi
1000 rpm: 650 psi
1500 rpm: 800 psi
2000 rpm: 1050 psi
2500 rpm: 1250 psi
3000 rpm: 1420 psi

I did not ram it to governor (WOT). Are these numbers reasonable or "as expected"? My understanding is that at minimum the injectors require ~400 psi to open, and I am well above that even at idle.

Interested to see if these numbers are realistic...

Thanks, in advance, for any feedback!!!

1996 F-350 4x4, PSD, E4OD (Ford reman installed at 185K miles), 218,000 miles, WD downpipe, BFG 295/75R-16's, 28K Tru-Cool, Magnafine, Tricum Springs, Diablo Accumulator Valve, Hollow Cat, Tymar Intake and HX Mod, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Lund Visor & Running Boards, Deflecta-Shield, Dee-Zee Brite-Tread Bed caps, Husky Diamond Plate Tool Box, Reese Class IV hitch...and more to come..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Those pressures seem reasonable to me, although I usually see around 450 psi at idle. It takes 500 psi for the PCM to fire the injectors on start, but if it's running, the pressure can and will drop below that 500 psi number.
The HP oil pressure isn't strictly dependent on rpm, but on total load based on a number of factors. At full load (climbing a hill pulling a trailer, for instance) you should be seeing at least 2000 psi.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback klhansen!! So, would it be a safe "assumption" that if these pressures appear correct that the IPR is functioning properly? I don't like to throw money at a bunch of parts during troubleshooting but an IPR rebuild kits is like $10-$15 so cheap money; may be worth it just just to pull it and rebuild it?

I see what you mean about total load...since this test was done with zero load I would imagine these pressures would increase under a hard load...

Thanks again...

1996 F-350 4x4, PSD, E4OD (Ford reman installed at 185K miles), 218,000 miles, WD downpipe, BFG 295/75R-16's, 28K Tru-Cool, Magnafine, Tricum Springs, Diablo Accumulator Valve, Hollow Cat, Tymar Intake and HX Mod, Rancho Add-A-Leaf, Lund Visor & Running Boards, Deflecta-Shield, Dee-Zee Brite-Tread Bed caps, Husky Diamond Plate Tool Box, Reese Class IV hitch...and more to come..

Last edited by burgie; 09-05-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:05 PM

My Photos: (19)
The IPR rebuild kit doesn't really rebuild it, it really only reseals it. It would probably be good to know what the IPR % (duty cycle) numbers are for the various load conditions are too. I haven't looked lately, but I'm sure the are articles out there on how to correctly disassemble and clean the IPR. I did it once to my 94's and if I thought it needed it on my 97, I would probably just opt for an OEM replacement (small parts and can easily damage or incorrectly reassemble). JMHO though. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3” DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Patrick,

Thanks for the info and I agree. Not to change the subject, but what are some options for diagnostic tools that I could buy for, say, my laptop, or a stand-alone unit specifically for testing the PSD? I have a small hand-held Actron but that's for pulling & clearing codes at best...nothing more?

I just hate to spend several hundred dollars for a one time diagnostics at the dealer; I'd rather invest that in something I can use whenever issues arise...

Thanks for all who have responded...

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
A lot of us use AutoEnginuity. It runs on your laptop, and if you buy the Ford Enhanced Package, it will do nearly everything that Ford's diagnostic tools will do. Cost is about $350, which includes the software and a plug-in to the OBD port.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:26 PM

I am dealing with an intermittent problem that I believe (hopefully) I just nailed down to the IPR, probably dirty or sticky.
I posted several screen shots of readings that I took using my iPad and FORScan lite, which I believe is free, or if not, it’s just a couple of bucks.
The thread is named :” 97 is dead again”, and you can see the readings for ICP, IPR and RPM and turbo boost at idle, and under load steady at 60 mph, and under acceleration to 75.

I’ll try to post the link
https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...-again-655402/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in