How many glowplugs - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many glowplugs

How many glowplugs can be bad and the truck still start? I got the plugs on the Passenger side changed tonight before it got dark. I only had one bad one on that side. I check them as I pull them out by hooking them directly to the battery with jumper cables. Now I have one better one than before and it still wouldn't start. I had replaced a bad one on this side last year as well and it started like a champ. I put a used one in though, that's why I'm just replacing them all with brand new this year. I'm wondering how many I will find bad on the driver's side tomorrow. I would guess all of them. Also, can anyone tell me the torque on the plugs?

1997 ext cab, long bed, 4x4, auto. Genuine Tymar induction. Retired F-15E Strike Eagle mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 AM

My Photos: (13)
Glow plug relay?

1996 F-250 extended cab long box five speed. Home made Tymar, 203 Stat, 60 gal in bed fuel cell, 315/75's, no muffler, ebpv welded open 3" to 3" DP, Babies. 290K, still chugging, and still smoking when cold.

UPDATED 1/1/09 Replace so far. 1 LUK flywheel+clutch, 2 thermostats, 2 set of brakes, 1 set of calipers, 5 CPS, 3 sets of tires, 2 Transfer pumps, 1 Injector modual, 1 Computer, 2 Alt, 2 sets of batteries, 1 Water pump, 6 Belts, 1 PS hose, 2 Sets ball joints, 2 set u-joints, 2 carrier bearing, 2 Speed sensors, 1 oil pres sender, 1 temp sender, 4 sets of e-break cables, 1 front fuel tank, 2 rear fuel tanks, 2 set of glow plugs, 7 Glow plug relays, Oil galley o-rings, Turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV o-rings, 3 sets of Injector O-rings, 1 Vac-pump, 1 new carpet, 1 total paint job.Total $$$ in repairs v/s miles driven = 4.6 cents per mile. Add fuel to that it jumps to 16.5 cents per mile over the life of the truck.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (61)
Mine was starting with difficulty but with four bad and one unplugged (three working glow plugs).

CLICK HERE to go to the thread I started when I did mine in October of 2001.

Dave / Believer45

THANK YOU to all the heroes in our military and all the heroes at home who wait for their safe return. I am humbled by and grateful for your service and sacrifice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS
, LUK clutch, homemade
, open element
, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

It's not the GPR. I replaced it with a Stan-cor last year when I was having trouble starting and I verified it just to make sure. I also changed a plug on the passenger side at the same time last year because I had the valve cover off anyway. I didn't do the driver's side then. I finished replacing all of my plugs today and it turns out that 5 of them were bad (all four on the driver's side, one on the passenger's side). I have 8 brand new ones in there now so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.

1997 ext cab, long bed, 4x4, auto. Genuine Tymar induction. Retired F-15E Strike Eagle mechanic.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrout View Post
It's not the GPR. I replaced it with a Stan-cor last year when I was having trouble starting and I verified it just to make sure. I also changed a plug on the passenger side at the same time last year because I had the valve cover off anyway. I didn't do the driver's side then. I finished replacing all of my plugs today and it turns out that 5 of them were bad (all four on the driver's side, one on the passenger's side). I have 8 brand new ones in there now so hopefully I'll be ok for a while.
If you had 5 bad GP...your cold starting should improve now with new plugs

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in