How to troubleshoot the p1396 on a cali truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to troubleshoot the p1396 on a cali truck

I've got a 97 f250 that has the p1396. Its not burned into the computer as I've gotten it to go away, but it'll come back. I've replaced all of the wiring under the valve covers, the valve cover gaskets, glow plugs, and the glow plug relay. All of the glow plugs ohm out within spec the last time I checked which was 2000 miles ago. I'm guessing my problem is somewhere after the glow plug relay and before the connectors. Currently the problem has fried the two connectors on the driver's side. What is the best way to go about trouble shooting this problem? I'm almost to the point where I'm just going to disconnect the glow plugs and call it good.

1995 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 XLT 5 speed 63k miles, 6637, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, exhaust brake, gauges, 2.25" PMF RSK, v codes, 325/65/R18s

Sold: 1997 F250 Supercab 4x4 XLT (California Model) 178k miles 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, AFE intake, Swamps AD injectors, Beans Fuel System, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, International Bellowed Up Pipes, Stancore GPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What do the pins on the relay side of the wire harness looks like where it plugs into the valve cover gasket? That may be where your problem is if you haven't replaced the plug yet.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

The pins are fried. I replaced the two of them 2000 miles ago when everything checked out. I'm guessing I'm pulling too many amps on the drivers side.

1995 F350 CCLB SRW 4X4 XLT 5 speed 63k miles, 6637, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, exhaust brake, gauges, 2.25" PMF RSK, v codes, 325/65/R18s

Sold: 1997 F250 Supercab 4x4 XLT (California Model) 178k miles 3" DP, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo back, AFE intake, Swamps AD injectors, Beans Fuel System, EBPV Delete, non-ebpv turbo pedestal, International Bellowed Up Pipes, Stancore GPR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just did a quick search on another forum and it looks like you may have a dealer fix type of problem with a TSB

Here is the pdf of it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSB 98-15-1(1).pdf (107.9 KB, 189 views)

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it isn't the pcm as its been replaced by the previous owner. I also got the code to go away for a while.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

I spent a good part of the day yesterday going through everything. All wiring under the valve covers is good. Glow plugs ohm out at .3 omhs. I can't find any shorts or resistance in the wiring harness. I replaced the two burnt connectors on the drivers side for the second time. I hooked everything back up and ensured each connector at voltage at the connector when the glow plugs were on. They all did. I also noticed that the glow plug relay was smoking when the key was turned on. I'm guessing the relay is bad so I disconnected power to the relay.

My next steps are to test the relay and replace it if it is bad. From there I think I'm just going to take it to someone as I'm getting tired of trying to fix this problem.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I did the steps outlined by Patrick on http://*****************.com/forums/...54&postcount=7 and concluded that the PCM is bad. Ordered one and we'll see what happens.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 PM

My Photos: (19)
Somebody actually had one in stock? If they did, excellent find! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997_F250 View Post
Well I did the steps outlined by Patrick on http://*****************.com/forums/...54&postcount=7 and concluded that the PCM is bad. Ordered one and we'll see what happens.
Ya from where?

1997 F250 Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4 Auto 4" skyjacker lift 130K Dana 60 Front 4" Straight pipe lost kitty 5" Silverline tip Factory Alcoas on 315/75/16 All Terrains

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 PM

My Photos: (19)
Put in the correct stuff for PSN (the nation) instead of the asterisks in the link. I have never gotten the logic for stripping that info out for other forums (just plain dumb! probably some lawyer's input). Here's the whole thing so we can waste bandwidth:

Here are the pinpoint tests for the Glow Plug Monitoring stuff:

Quote:
S1 DTC P1391, P1395 - RIGHT BANK AND P1393, P1396 - LEFT BANK
Note: For running KOER glow plug monitoring self test, refer to Section 2C.
• One of the above codes will set when glow plugs are commanded on for over 35 seconds and battery voltage is between 11.8v and 14v, with at least one glow plug not being powered.
• Key off.
• Measure voltage between large wire terminal Circuit 38 (BK/O) on glow plug relay and battery ground.
Is battery voltage present?
Yes: GO to S2.
No: SERVICE open in Circuit 38 (BK/O) or fusible links.

S2 CHECK FOR DTC P0380
• NGS installed.
• Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs.
Is DTC P0380 present?
Yes: GO to S3.
No: GO to S8.

S3 DTC P0380
• DTC P0380 is set when the PCM detects a malfunction in the glow plug relay control circuit.
• Possible causes:
o shorted to power
o open/grounded circuit
o open fuse (F-Series - Fuse 22, Econoline - Fuse U)
o worn or damaged glow plug relay
• Key on, engine off.
• Measure voltage at glow plug relay point B, Circuit 16 (R/LG) and battery ground. Refer to the schematic for location of circuits.
Is voltage present?
Yes: GO to S4.
No: SERVICE open in ignition power Circuit 16 (R/LG). If fuse is blown, CHECK for short to ground.

S4 RELAY COIL RESISTANCE TEST
• Key off.
• Disconnect the wire going to the glow plug relay, Circuit 1086 (P/O) point A.
• Measure resistance through relay coil, between point A and Point B.
Is the resistance between 1 ohm and 8 ohms?
Yes: GO to S5.
No: REPLACE glow plug relay.

S5 CHECK SHORT TO POWER
• Key off.
• Install breakout box. Leave PCM disconnected.
• Control circuit still disconnected from the relay.
• Key on, engine off.
• Measure voltage between test Pin 101 and battery ground.
Is voltage present?
Yes: SERVICE short to power. CLEAR DTC and RETEST.
No: GO to S6.

S6 CHECK SHORT TO GROUND
• Key off.
• Breakout box installed. Leave PCM disconnected.
• Measure resistance between disconnected wire going to glow plug relay and battery ground.
Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes: GO to S7.
No: SERVICE short to ground. CLEAR DTC and RETEST.

S7 CHECK CIRCUIT FOR OPEN
• Key off.
• Measure resistance between test Pin 101 and Circuit 1086 (P/O) eyelet going to glow plug relay.
Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes: REPLACE PCM.
No: SERVICE open in Circuit 1086 (P/O).

S8 CHECK GLOW PLUG RELAY
• The glow plug ON time is dependent on oil temperature and altitude. The glow plugs come on between 1 to 120 seconds depending on oil temperature and do not come on at all if EOT is above 55C (131 F). Verify glow plug control ON time by using NGS PID GPCTM.
• EOT temperature below 49C (120F).
• Key on, engine off.
• Measure voltage between center terminal of glow plug shunt and battery ground.
Is voltage present for at least 30 seconds?
Yes: GO to S9.
No: REPLACE glow plug relay.

S9 CHECK GLOW PLUG
• Key off.
• On the bank with the code, disconnect both connectors on the valve cover gasket.
• Inspect both harness connector and gasket for a loose fit. If damaged, repair or replace.
• Install Rotunda Glow Plug Injector Adapter 014-00935 or equivalent to the valve cover gasket.
• Measure resistance between each of the four glow plug circuits on Rotunda Adapter and engine ground (clean off a spot on the high-pressure oil reservoir to ensure a good ground).
Is resistance less than 2 ohms?
Yes : For DTCs P1391 and P1395, GO to S11. For DTCs P1393 and P1396, GO to S12.
No : GO to S10.

S10 CHECK UNDER VALVE COVER
• Key off.
• Remove valve cover and verify that the connections to the glow plugs are OK.
• If OK, disconnect the suspect glow plug connector.
• Measure resistance between the glow plug and engine ground.
Yes: REPLACE valve cover gasket or UVC harness.
No: REPLACE glow plug. CLEAR DTCs and RETEST.

S11 CHECK GLOW PLUG MONITORING CIRCUIT - DTCS P1391, P1395
• Key off.
• Disconnect all four valve cover connectors on both right and left banks.
• Inspect both harness connector and gasket for a loose fit. If damaged, repair or replace.
• Disconnect PCM.
• Measure resistance between all four glow plug circuits on the right bank and test Pin 9 on the breakout box.
Are all readings within 2 ohms of each other?
Yes: GO to S13.
No: SERVICE open between valve cover connector and PCM connector. VERIFY glow plug shunt nuts are clean and tight.

S12 CHECK GLOW PLUG MONITORING CIRCUIT - DTCs P1393, P1396
• Key off.
• Disconnect all four valve cover connectors on both right and left banks.
• Disconnect PCM.
• Measure resistance between all four glow plug circuits on the left bank and test Pin 34 on the breakout box.
Are all readings equal and less than 2 ohms?
Yes: GO to S13
No: SERVICE open between valve cover connector and PCM connector. VERIFY glow plug shunt nuts are clean and tight.

S13 CHECK GLOW PLUG MONITORING CENTER CIRCUIT
• Key off.
• Measure resistance between center terminal on glow plug shunt and test Pin 8 on the breakout box.
Yes: GO to S14
No: SERVICE open in Circuit 339 (GY).

S14 COMPARE RIGHT BANK TO LEFT BANK
• Key off.
• Record all readings. The circuits must be within 2 ohms of each other.
• Measure resistance between all four glow plug circuits on left bank and test Pins 8, 9 and 34, then all four glow plug circuits on right bank and test Pins 8, 9 and 34.
Are all readings within 2 ohms of each other?
Yes: REPLACE PCM.
No: SERVICE open in the higher resistance circuit. VERIFY glow plug shunt nuts are clean and tight.

S15 DTC P1397 SYSTEM VOLTAGE OUT OF SELF TEST RANGE DURING KOER GLOW PLUG MONITOR SELF TEST
Note: DTC P1397 will set if system voltage is above 14 volts or below 11.8 volts at any time during KOER Glow Plug Self Test. It may be necessary to raise rpm to maintain voltage. If unable to maintain system voltage, service as required according to service manual direction.
• Perform KOER Glow Plug Monitor Self Test. With a digital multimeter connected to the battery. Maintain system voltage until test is complete.
Does P1397 still set?
Yes: GO to Pinpoint Test A1
No: No concern located at this time.
Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in