IPR Votage ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR Votage ?

97 Powerstroke Truck will not start Jumped 12 volts from the battery to the IPR plug , & the truck starts

On the red wire on the IPR plug i have 12.5 volts if i ground to the battery

If check the voltage from the red wire to the yellow wire on the IPR plug i get 9.8 volts

Any suggestion on whats wrong ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
The IPR works with a constant 12V signal with the key in run on one wire, and a pulsed ground thru the PCM. So when you jumpered 12V to it, you forced the IPR fully closed, which cranks up your HP oil pressure sent to the injectors.
You may have an IPR that needs cleaning at the minimum or replacing.
Normally the first thing to try is to remove the plug from the ICP sensor (on the head), which makes the PCM use a standardized signal to the IPR rather than reacting to the ICP sensor signal. When you pull the plug off the ICP sensor, if you see oil in the connector, that's a sign that the ICP is bad.

Moving your post to the correct forum.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

It has a new HPOP & IPR , I removed the ICP plug still no start ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 PM

My Photos: (180)
Do you have any way to check codes or monitor parameters. Sounds like you may not be getting the proper signals. Either that or your HPOP/IPR install has a problem.
Definitely get a scan tool on it. Monitor Battery Voltage, Engine RPM, ICP, IPR Duty Cycle, Fuel Injector Pulse Width. Good readings while cranking would be 8 V min, 100 RPM +, 500 psi min, 35% or lower IPR, 1-6 mS Injector pulse width.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 04-02-2019 at 12:06 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 PM

Have you got any mods on this engine? In particular, a crossover line?

Aside from the one time it started (when you had the IPR wired direct), has it run since you replaced the HPOP and IPR? If not, you may just have air in the high pressure oil system.

When you change those two parts, you gotta' do a very thorough air purge of the system - and even when you do it right, it very likely will still run rough for a while.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
Have you got any mods on this engine? In particular, a crossover line?

Aside from the one time it started (when you had the IPR wired direct), has it run since you replaced the HPOP and IPR? If not, you may just have air in the high pressure oil system.

When you change those two parts, you gotta' do a very thorough air purge of the system - and even when you do it right, it very likely will still run rough for a while.
Have run it quite a bit with the IPR wired direct when it starts the volt gauge on the dash only reads 10 volts & runs rough on idle ( fine if you rev it a bit) when the voltage on the dash gauge get to 13 volts in about a minute it idles fine

I have not plugged the IPR back into the PCM since i got it fired , was told i need 12 volts across the red & yellow wire on the IPR plug which i do not i only get 9.8 volts with the key on & when it fires wired direct & running i get 11 volts on the IPR plug
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylll View Post
Have run it quite a bit with the IPR wired direct when it starts the volt gauge on the dash only reads 10 volts & runs rough on idle ( fine if you rev it a bit) when the voltage on the dash gauge get to 13 volts in about a minute it idles fine

I have not plugged the IPR back into the PCM since i got it fired , was told i need 12 volts across the red & yellow wire on the IPR plug which i do not i only get 9.8 volts with the key on & when it fires wired direct & running i get 11 volts on the IPR plug
No mods it is a factory stock truck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:42 PM

It sounds like you have air in the high-pressure system. Even if you purge the system properly, it still takes an hour or so of highway driving to finally get all the air moved through.

Is the HPOP a standard model for that truck and is it unmodified? Still has the check balls in it, etc?

Last edited by Kimber1911; 04-02-2019 at 11:44 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber1911 View Post
It sounds like you have air in the high-pressure system. Even if you purge the system properly, it still takes an hour or so of highway driving to finally get all the air moved through.

Is the HPOP a standard model for that truck and is it unmodified? Still has the check balls in it, etc?
Yes the HPOP is standard for that truck , can I highway drive the truck for a hour with ti IPR wired direct ? I have run it for an hour @ 1,500/2,000 RPM with no load
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Should the truck start with 9.8 volts checking @ the Red & yellow wire on the IPR plug & checking the red wire on the IPR to battery ground checking 12.5 volts
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM
RT

You canít really check that voltage with a voltmeter. Itís a pulsed signal. Itís battery voltage but with a duty cycle. So, at 50% duty cycle, the voltage is being pulsed on half the time. Your voltmeter might give an erroneous reading, but it isnít accurate. You would need an oscilloscope to see whatís really going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in