IPR wire color - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
IPR wire color

I replaced my pig tail on my ipr today and the old wires were so dirty and old I couldnt see a color on them, I thought I had read somewhere that this item isn't color specific and now that it hooked up the truck will start and idle fine for about 10 secs and then cel comes on and the idle goes bad like its missing. So are the ipr wires color sensitive?

1997 F350 CCLB SRW 7.3 Centurion Edition
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. ALL STOCK 132,204 (as of 8-18-16)!!!

'97 F-350 CC LB SRW 7.3L -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stancor GPR, High Torque Starter from DB, Upgraded Battery Cables, Diamond Eye 4inch Turbo back straight piped exhaust. - SOLD

'03 F-250 CC SB SRW 6.0L - SOLD

*New to the diesel world, researching everything i can and learning how to do the work myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM

My Photos: (19)
The factory wires are solid Red (from the PCM Power Relay) and Yellow with a Red trace (to the PCM pin 83). Since it is just a coil, I wouldn't think it would make a difference (but having said that, I would place the pigtail so that it is pin-for-pin the same as the factory had it). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Just an update in case someone reads this post with similar problems, I'm stilling having issues with a really rough idle likes its missing and truck not driving more than 20 feet, and was throwing multiple codes, got it towed to a mech found out that the PCM was bad, got a new one in and truck will now drive but has NO power and still idles rough but will at least drive. It's still throwing a p1211 code so tomorrow I'm going to switch the wires on the IPR in case they are color sensitive and ill post an update.

Stancor GPR, High Torque Starter from DB, Upgraded Battery Cables, Diamond Eye 4inch Turbo back straight piped exhaust. - SOLD

*New to the diesel world, researching everything i can and learning how to do the work myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Took out fuel bowl today and switched the wires on my IPR put it all back together and truck still runs the same, so I'm assuming the wire color doesn't matter for the IPR just for FYI.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 03:55 AM

I'm having a similar issue on my 95 .
The wires that go into the IPR plug are broke completely off. There is no wire insulation left inside the Plug to indicate which wire color went to which pin..I am reluctant to just go with the "it doesnt matter" idea without first having it confirmed from those of you out there who have a better knowkedge of this than i do.. I've ordered another pigtail,but it wont be here til tomorrow afternoon.
Work starts in about 3 hrs for me here. I've just replaced the hpop,,injector pump Ipr, the icp pigtail. ...and uvch... not to mention fuel lines tonight...or actually, as its now2:52 a.m. ,I guess I can say I did it all lastnight... an hr of sleep would be great before wrk, soooo ...
.ANYBODY OUT THERE AWAKE? LOL. this is all that I lack,(i hope) to make it to work.please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in