leaf spring bushings - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaf spring bushings

I can't stand the binding and squiking of the poly bushings anymore and have decided to install oem rubber(I know, I know, it sounds backwards, but I've been dealing w/this annoying sound long enough. ..........Heres the question; the poly bushings will easily pull out of the leaf, but, is there a certain technique w/installing rubber,metal sleeved ones myself, or am I better off pulling the leafs out and letting a spring shop do it? Thanks

1997 F-350 XLT, 4wd, crew cab, E-4OD,TDE-1, 4:10's (sold it, has 328k miles)
2017 F-350 XLT, 4wd, CC, LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:08 PM

Re: leaf spring bushings

Take it to a spring shop. Rubbers are almost impossible to install by hand. Plus, if you use grease on the rubber it will greatly speed up the rubber deterioration.

1995 F-250 XLT 4X4 reg cab, long bed, 240,000+ miles, 10k, Western 9 1/2' plow, K&N.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:23 PM

get a couple of the tiny steel wedges use for splitting from a tile or rock supplier, tap them between the spring and eye loop until you can slide the steel/rubber in. I got my old ones out by hand this way, and you can do one at a time and not end up with the whole front end apart.

95 250 SC 4x4 auto 4:10 28,000 long cooler shimmed guages pipe WD chip, manual hubs, camper, 22' 5'er horse trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 09:56 AM

My Photos: (1)

I just went through all that with my poly bushings and found out the drivers side ball joints were shot...It's amazing how much noise they were putting out.

June 1996 F250HD XLT/SC, LWB, 4x4, 4:10LS, E4OD, White outside, Gray inside, Camper/Tow pack, Factory Aluminum wheels, Factory rear slider, decal free.
Factory AIC, Aux dash switches, Full add-a-leaf, Mile Marker SS Hubs, Upgraded E4OD Tranny, Tymar intake and HPX crossover line, BD downpipe, Exhaust brake, 203* stat, BriteBox, California Regulator mod, Truck Interiors Winterfront, Ported bug guard, Energy Suspension bushings rolling on 265x75 Bridgestone Revo's.

KD7UBW - PHAR (Public Health Amateur Radio)

2008.5 Mazda 3s Touring 5 door in Copper Red Mica w/indash 6 disk Cd changer/MP3 and moonroof: The Wifes
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Spray lithium grease on the inside of the leaf spring eye and set the new bushing in. Put a block of wood on top of the new bushing and pound away with a hammer till its in. You'll need to removed the springs from the truck of course. I've done this about 10 times in the past it works

1990 Jeep Wrangler with tons of mods
1995 F250 5spd turbo Diesel for towing the jeep
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
get a couple of the tiny steel wedges use for splitting from a tile or rock supplier, tap them between the spring and eye loop until you can slide the steel/rubber in. I got my old ones out by hand this way, and you can do one at a time and not end up with the whole front end apart.

[/ QUOTE ]..................Very clever idea, I'm willing to try anything once. Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

1997 F-350 XLT, 4wd, crew cab, E-4OD,TDE-1, 4:10's (sold it, has 328k miles)
2017 F-350 XLT, 4wd, CC, LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in