Leaf Spring Removal For Better Ride? Tire PSI? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaf Spring Removal For Better Ride? Tire PSI?

Hi Everyone,

As seen in my signature, my rig is a 95 4dr 4x4 F350 with 38's and a 9Fr/6Rear inch lift. I never tow anything, nor do I haul much more than dirtbikes, and groceries, etc.

The ride is comparable to that of a basketball getting dribbled down the street. While I don't mind it, and my kids think it's funny, things are getting loose and cracked as a result. I stopped by a local 4x4 shop in Austin and the owner said for $450, he'd pull out the #4 leaf springs in the front and remove the towing accessory springs on the rear and that would get me a better ride. I know if you tow, you are asking for trouble, but since I don't...

Is there a benefit to doing this, and are there negatives to doing it as far as handling, etc.

Also, the tires are Nitto Mud Grapplers, and are set at 50psi. I know dropping them would help my cause, but to what? 35? 40? (for around town driving)

Thanks for your help

Andy

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

0-60 in 20 minutes flat!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:06 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

The "tow accessory spring" or overload spring never comes into play in an unloaded situation. I've only gotten into those springs twice- once with a pallet of concrete and once with two cubic yards of stabilized sand. You will get no benefit from removing them. The front is already smoother than the rear from the weight of the engine. Research sulastic shackles.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 PM

Heard good things about the sulastic shackles. I'd like to try them myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. I may have to give them a try. The review said it makes a 3/4 ton feel more like a 1/2 ton. By that logic, perhaps a little tire deflation, coupled with the shackles, I might get closer to an F250 ride.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

They got more interesting as I read more and more about them, so I went ahead and purchased a set of Sulastic shackles. I've also dropped the tire pressure on the 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers from 50 (max) to 40 up front and 38 in the rear. Does that sound reasonable so I'll improve ride, but not need new tires by next weekend?

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM

Look up chalking tires.

PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 10:30 PM

Those big tires are going to be like a basketball. I've watched the monster trucks. Fun to watch them bounce 10ft in the air. If you want normal ride you'll have to get normal tires. Get rid of the lift would help too.

Fred 1997 Queens, NY
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyfender1999.999 View Post
Those big tires are going to be like a basketball. I've watched the monster trucks. Fun to watch them bounce 10ft in the air. If you want normal ride you'll have to get normal tires. Get rid of the lift would help too.

Not looking for a stock ride, just a bit of an improvement. I did get that this morning, and noticeably, by dropping the pressure from 50 all the way around to 40 in front, and 37 in the rears. It was a big difference. I'm also looking forward to the shackle kit coming and will report my findings once installed this weekend.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Garage
Tuff country try has a set of spring that they call EZ-ride. Not sure if they make a kit for your truck... Member on here installed the kit on his 2003 7.3 (NOSPARKPLUGS) and I'm trying to get some feed back from him because I'm interested

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

I went down to 35 psi all around last night and this morning it felt like a different truck. Every jarring hit that I would take previously, was replaced by more of a subtle and softened interruption of smoothness, for lack of a better term. By no means was I riding in a F150, but it made worlds of difference!!! I'm looking forward to trying out the shackles in a couple of weeks.

The EZ ride idea looks interesting as well. I think there's no 1 simple cure all, but rather a nice combination that will yield good results. Hopefully I'm on the right track.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 06:28 PM

Before driving too long with lower air pressure, seriously look up chalking tires. That will make your tires last a long time.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Before driving too long with lower air pressure, seriously look up chalking tires. That will make your tires last a long time.

Yeah, I checked into it the other day. It's been wet here, but it's something that is definitely on my agenda.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Just installed the Sulastic shackles. It's a big difference. I chalked the tires and found 40 to be proper. Next step will be to get some decent shocks on there as no doubt the ones on now could be improved upon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in