leaking coolant please help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking coolant please help

Hi first post here but been using site for info for a long time. I have a 1995 7.3 powerstroke with 391,000 miles on it. I just noticed the other day coolant leaking out of under the passanger side frame. I could not figure out where the leak was coming from as it stopped once I started the truck up again. So today I noticed coolant leaking all over my control arms and I looked up and seen a tiny hose. You can only see it from under the truck.

On the passanger side firewall theres a black box that the ac goes in. Its wrapped in tin foil stuff. Just under that box is the hose that looks like it comes out of the lower fire wall. almost like it could be a heater core wheep hole too keep leaking coolant out of that black box? Any info is helpfull i need to fix it asap for work please anybody thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What you're describing sounds like the water drain for the A/C. It would never have coolant in it. Are you sure it's coolant, not just water?

Do you smell coolant in the cab?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

No it does not smell like coolant in the cab. but after driving ill look under and its green dripping around that one area. Last night I got a heater hose bypass fitting. I hope that at least stops it for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM

Hard to comment without pics or seeing it, but it sounds like you are right about it possibly being the heater core/hose assembly that's leaking. If you loosen your coolant reservoir bottle cap and not allow the coolant to build pressure, it might slow down the rate of dripping and it might buy you some time.

1997 F-350 XLT, 4wd, crew cab, E-4OD,TDE-1, 4:10's (sold it, has 328k miles)
2017 F-350 XLT, 4wd, CC, LB
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM

Replaced my F350's heater core recently; it was only $25 out the door at NAPA, so I didn't even hesitate. Now, removing the old one and installing the new one is a PIA if one is 55 and neither as flexible nor as able to see up close as he once was. That said, you just pull the glovebox, loosen the PCM box and move it aside, drain a bit of the cooling system, remove the hoses and cut away the sealant putty where the two tubes go thru the firewall, give the old tubes a shove with a broomstick, remove the old core, then reverse the above and you're back in business. I did it in under two hours in 20*F temps, and given the bulky clothes and the above-mentioned physical handicaps, it wasn't too bad. Works a helluva lot better, too. Good luck!

'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, newer black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 317k miles on 18 Oct '14; probably won't run forever but neither will I
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's the ABS box. PCM is behind the parking brake handle assembly.

Reading glasses are worth their weight in gold for such apps. Before I got the progressive bifocals, I kept a pair of reading glasses in just about every desk drawer, every glove box, every backpack, every laptop bag, every bike pannier, every pick-up tool bag, every jacket, etc. I owned.

Recommend pulling the old heater core and taking it to the store for the replacement, if possible. Two stores I went to (I forget which) had the wrong listing, and I had to have them match it up by the size/shape. Maybe the databases have been fixed by now; that was aprx. 2010.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 AM

By God, you're right about the PCM. I didn't know I even HAD anti-lock brakes, given the lack of sensors or wires to the rear brakes. I do, however, have the ABS idiot light (guess who's the idiot) light up from time to time - I guess I oughta have the dealer replace that sensor on the master cylinder under recall after all.

Had LASIK done ten years ago and immediately needed reading glasses (never did beforehand). They are a PIA, esp when I'm in and out of the truck - I find them dizzying if I forget to remove them immediately - but yes, I did wear them doing the heater, and yes, I have them everywhere. I'm told they're a sign of being a grown-up. Yippee.

'96 F350 XLT CC 4x4 PSD auto LWB 4.10 open, white, open intake, Tymar HX, 3"DPP downpipe, 315 General A/T on factory Alcoas, F add-a-leaf, new alt x3, fuel pump x3, water pump x2, vac pump x 3, PS pump x3, SD starter x3, rebuilt seats, total poly bushing kit, serious noise reduction, new tan interior and vinyl floor, Bilsteins, Bean's Stage 1s, Tony Wildman 4-pos chip (wow), etc ad infinitum, newer black Lab in backseat, locally rebuilt tranny & new TC @ 211k, complete body 'makeover' and repaint @ 213k, new fast-spool turbo 7/11, 317k miles on 18 Oct '14; probably won't run forever but neither will I

Last edited by JoshR; 02-01-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: paragraph spacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in