Low on power and no boost - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low on power and no boost

I have a friend that has a 95 F-350 manual tranny and the truck will not build boost any longer. The odometer says 150,000 ish miles. I scanned with AE and contribution test passed, ICP shows 2,800+ psi at WOT but boost is only 3 psi max. New turbo, up-pipes. All done before checking with me.

Truck is completely stock except the exhaust has a cat on it and a glass pack looking muffler. Checked fuel pressure at idle and 60 psi at schrader valve. Had a fuel leak in valley and replaced with new fuel pump and rebuilt bowl along with new hoses and replaced manifold boots with RiffRaff ones and still have same issue.

Looking for any other ideas. Feels like it is just being held back, will not rev up at WOT like other trucks and I think maybe the Cat is plugged causing restriction? I have never run across something like this.

2001 F-250, 4X4, SWB, 7.3L, Crew Cab, MBRP 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, Driven Diesel Regulated Fuel Return, PHP Hydra Chip, Mechanical Waste Gate, Gutted EBPV, Deleted EBPV Pedestal, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, RedHead steering box, Plenum inserts, RiffRaff upgraded clamps for intercooler boots, RiffRaff intake sleeves, CCV bypass from RiffRaff, boots from RiffRaff, Ride Rite Air Bags, Guzzle's Monster Relay mod, 1.0 A/R turbo Housing.

1996 F-250, 4x4, SWB, 7.3L, Supercab, Tymar, AFE Big Bore 4" exhaust with 3"-4" DP, Swamps 150/146 Injectors, PHP Hydra Chip with Swamps tunes, Terminator T500 HPOP, Beans D66 Turbo, HPX Crossover, EBPV gutted, EBPV Delete Pedestal, shimmed FPR, Carr Hoop Steps, Cab Lights, Limited Slip 4.10 rear end.

2002 F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Short Bed California truck, AFE 4" Exhaust, Tymar intake, Leveling Kit, Swamps 175/146 Single Shots, HydraChip with Swamps Tunes, Wicked Wheel, Mechanical Waste Gate, Gutted EBPV and deleted pedestal, RiffRaff intake sleeves, RiffRaff boots and clamps, BTS Transmission and 6.0L cooler.

2002 F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Short Bed, Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, Hydra chip with Swamps tunes, RiffRaff FRx Fuel regulated system, 1.0 A/R Turbo Housing with high flow outlet, BTS Transmission with 6.0L cooler, 4" Exhaust, Tymar intake, RiffRaff boots and clamps, Wicked Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:04 AM

My Photos: (0)
My '96 came with a cat and a straight-through muffler that looks like a glass pack only bigger around. Those could be factory-issued.

You might be able to check for a clogged-up cat by looking at the exhaust back pressure as a PID on the scanner. If the exhaust back pressure is really high it "might" imply a clogged cat, but I'm not sure it would. All this is assuming the pipe connecting the exhaust manifold with the EBP sensor is itself not clogged up and that the EBP sensor is still working.

It might be more simple to remove the cat and see if things improve. Many folks have removed the cat in any case. I've done that and just left the straight-through muffler to keep down the drone.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 PM

My Photos: (2)
Could be intake gasket leaks. I had that problem with my first PSD. Could also be bad vanes on the turbo. I did upgaskets, intake gaskets, and different turbo and went from under 5 to close to 20 psi. Start looking for leaks and look at the compressor fins on the turbo.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM

My Photos: (0)
Last time I lost boost pressure it was a clogged EBP tube and sensor. I replaced the original copper tubing with the stainless replacement one. After inspecting the copper one I found green spots on it and I gently scraped it and exposed pin holes in the tubing. You can clean the sensor no need to replace it very seldom do they go bad my sensor is still the original and it has 983,000 mi.

I have a 95 F350 PS/DRW/LB which I bought in 05' with 102,000mi from original owner as of 6/29/12 it has 920,798 mi.on the original engine.It runs great and pulls even better.It pulls commercially anything and everything that pays me money Ha,Ha.Upgrades done are an all steel cowl induction hood to help get the heat out of the engine bay,Banks inter-cooler hardware kit using a cooler from a 99 PS,TRUCOOL tranny cooler,Magtech alum.finned tranny and rear diff.covers,DP tunes 40T,60T,60E.S&W guages BST/Trans.Temp/EGT,K&N cold air intake,BD 4"exhaust,HPturbochargers did my upgrades on turbo with banks impeller(a little diff.pitch and height than the stock garrett splitter wheel) and 1.0 exh.for faster spool-up WOW!I'm hoping to hit 1 million miles or more before having to put my drop-in crate engine in.I can only hope that it will be just as good.Hopefully! I can be of assistance to any one needing help with thier PS with problems that I may or may not have encountered.GOOD LUCK!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (14)
My friend took it to the exhaust shop and they replaced the Cat since it was plugged. Now getting 15 psi boost. The muffler shop said they had to replace with a cat since there was one on there and was illegal for them not to do that.
Anyway it is fixed now.
Thanks for the suggestions and help. I never ran into this because none of mine have cats.

2001 F-250, 4X4, SWB, 7.3L, Crew Cab, MBRP 4" exhaust, Tymar intake, Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, Driven Diesel Regulated Fuel Return, PHP Hydra Chip, Mechanical Waste Gate, Gutted EBPV, Deleted EBPV Pedestal, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, RedHead steering box, Plenum inserts, RiffRaff upgraded clamps for intercooler boots, RiffRaff intake sleeves, CCV bypass from RiffRaff, boots from RiffRaff, Ride Rite Air Bags, Guzzle's Monster Relay mod, 1.0 A/R turbo Housing.

1996 F-250, 4x4, SWB, 7.3L, Supercab, Tymar, AFE Big Bore 4" exhaust with 3"-4" DP, Swamps 150/146 Injectors, PHP Hydra Chip with Swamps tunes, Terminator T500 HPOP, Beans D66 Turbo, HPX Crossover, EBPV gutted, EBPV Delete Pedestal, shimmed FPR, Carr Hoop Steps, Cab Lights, Limited Slip 4.10 rear end.

2002 F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Short Bed California truck, AFE 4" Exhaust, Tymar intake, Leveling Kit, Swamps 175/146 Single Shots, HydraChip with Swamps Tunes, Wicked Wheel, Mechanical Waste Gate, Gutted EBPV and deleted pedestal, RiffRaff intake sleeves, RiffRaff boots and clamps, BTS Transmission and 6.0L cooler.

2002 F-250 4X4 Extended Cab Short Bed, Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, Hydra chip with Swamps tunes, RiffRaff FRx Fuel regulated system, 1.0 A/R Turbo Housing with high flow outlet, BTS Transmission with 6.0L cooler, 4" Exhaust, Tymar intake, RiffRaff boots and clamps, Wicked Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in