Miss - No Power - Major Vibration - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I did some more testing - before ordering any parts - (except I ordered the adapter and hose to do a compression test...)
(I currently have a compression test gauge and hose with the "rubber" cone "tip" - which is to place into a spark plug hole on a gas job - but it is too large in diameter to get into the glow plug hole because of the rocker arm...)
(Going to check today to see if "perhaps" the fine threads on my rubber tip hose connection """might""" by chance - match the threads of the GP...???)

If my compression is good...
What UVCG do you guys recommend?
The OEM's don't come with the harnesses - and the current harness might be part of my issue.
But it looks like the shop used Dorman's because the VCG and the Harnesses are 1 piece - direct connected = no plug.

I guess I should buy the Motorcraft VCG and the 2 harnesses ----- damn - another $200.00 (plus a solenoid - if not an injector...)

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:25 AM

My Photos: (19)
I prefer the Motorcraft parts, but in the past I have used the 1-piece Dorman out of necessity with no issues. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanx Patrick!

My gas job - flex hose - compression gauge has the same threads as the GP - but it has a 9/16 hex and wont fit into the GP hole -
I'm getting the proper flex hose delivered Monday.
I also have to change out the gauge - mine only goes to 300 PSI
I have a couple extra oil filled gauges - but they go to 3000 PSI - the increments are at 500 PSI - hoping I can get a good enough reading - or else I'll have to get a 400 - to - 500 PSI gauge...

It's always something....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE - with a question....

I ordered a 7.3 GP threaded end - compression gauge testing "hose".
I thought by the pic (no phone number or e-mail to confirm...) that the ends were threaded to the hose where I could "adapt" their hose - to my gauge.... NOPE. (Mightyvac brand...)

My question...
The engine had NOT been run in several days when I first pulled the VC and GP on cylinder #7.
I tried to make sure there was no excess oil going to run down into the GP hole. (the motor has not been cranked since)
When I removed the GP on cylinder #7 - it was fairly covered in oil...

I have taken the GP out - and re-inserted - it in cylinder #7 several times - as I try to get the correct threaded compression test "adapter" to work - (I put the GP back in and then place the VC back on with no bolts - to keep crap from getting down in there as I acquire the right parts - to finally do a compression test - before moving on... to trying a new injector / or injector solenoid...)

Anyway...
Every time I insert - and then remove the GP - it is always covered in oil - about half way up the end.

I didn't think very much (if any) oil "slipped" down in there upon the first (or residual) removals of the GP.

There is oil - apparently - "sitting" on top of the piston - but if it's from a bad oil ring - wouldn't it seep back down while sitting for days on end??? (Unless I have a bad head - or head gasket...

I believe I will be able to do a proper compression test in a couple of days. (Proper adapter / hose and gauge)

Oriley "says" they have the correct "adapter"for rent ($50.00) n- but if it wont work - and I take it back and say - "It wouldn't work" -
They will say "Yea right". (and another $50.00 wasted with no results.)

Any thoughts as I resume to conduct a compression test?

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE...

The Good - the Bad -and the Ugly
After not finding an auto parts store with a compression gauge kit with the correct thread adapter for the GP to do a compression check...
I found 2 local shops with correct thread compression testers - but my truck is tore apart in my shop - and neither shop will rent me the gauge...

The Good=
I finally ended up cutting the mityvac hose off at the threaded nut and welding a 1/8 in piece of NPT tubing with a nut welded to the tube for a wrench - and hooking my gauge to it. (Ha Ha Ha ya bastid shops and mityvac!)
(attached pic below...)

The Bad=
Cylinder #5 has 350 PSI

The Ugly=
Cylinder #7 has only 150 PSI

I must have bad rings. (maybe valves???)

Might be a head gasket because there is loud - timed like a single cylinder - "Pssst" sound when the truck is running - I thought it was the exhaust doughnut connection because it has always had this "leak" sound - but the truck has always seemed like it never had the power it should for the past 300,000 miles I have drove it.

I don't think that with almost 400,000 miles - it would be worth re-ringing and head jobbing it because the underneath of the truck is rusted to where the motor has already out lived the frame and body.

I'll check into the head gasket possibility - but even if that potentially could be the problem - without doing the other head - and while that far in - re-ringing - I'll just have a spare motor.

I dunno....

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Update-

Did a leakdown test -

The air comes out through the head oil return ports.

So.. I either have bad rings and / or a cracked piston.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE-

After doing the compression test - and believing that was the only real issue-

I put the valve cover back on and found that the rear - passenger motor UVCG plug had an issue.
The rear connector in the plug for cylinder #7 had been "pushed back" and was not making a full connection with the UVCG plug.
I pushed it back forward and shimmed it - so it would stay in place.

Then I checked the ohm's from the IDM connector and viola - I have 3 ohm's on all 8 cylinders (including #7)

I fired her up - and she runs like she used to. (No vibration and she still has that familiar - just slightly not perfect "smooth" idle.

But she seems to have the power she did before all of my troubled began.

I have only drove her 30 miles since getting her back from the shop (before I took the VC off) and she's 2 quarts low on oil.???
I'll call the shop - but I know they will say that it was full of oil when I picked her up. I did not check the oil when I picked her up - I just checked it right after I put the VC back on. So - I'll fill the oil up - then I'll put some miles on her and see what happens.
If that goes well - I'll try hooking my trailer back up and see if it still acts like it used to.

If all goes well - I'll solder in new motor side UVCG plugs and put on new UVCG.

Last edited by Audiowriter; 07-19-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE -

My triumph was short lived...

After driving it for 10 miles - the miss came back and the vibration began to return.
It must be rings on cylinder #7 with the low compression -and when the engine warms up - it really loses compression.

Not sure what to do with it.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I re-checked the blow-by out the oil fill cap after reinstalling the valve cover. (video below)
It has a steady stream on blow-by smoke (basically timed with each revolution of the motor)
I'm sure it's cylinder #7 - and the blow-by gets worse as the engine temperature rises.
So - I'm guessing it's the rings...
If it was a cracked (etc...) piston - the blow-by should be steady from the get go.

Anyone got any other suggestions???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in