Multifunction switch update. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Multifunction switch update.

Well, Rock Auto had sold the last over 8500 lb gvw mfs. So, I had them notify me when they had one on stock.
In the meantime, my local Oriley's showed on line that they had one in stock.
I called and they confirmed it.
I went there - and they did NOT have one in stock and it was a special order item - had to pay up front - but when they tried to order it from Dorman - Dorman's web server kept disconnecting.
When I returned home - Rock Auto notified me that they now had one in stock - I ordered it - it came the other day.

It is indeed the correct one (NOT short model for Bronco's and such

When I took the current one off, what I found out was causing the cancel to not work was that the "+" piece on the column had come out of the square receiver on the switch and was not making the cancel lever "trip" the connector.

The old mfs is not broken at all - Months ago when I had accidentally "bumped" the switch when the steering wheel was at the "cancel" position - I simply had caused the interlocking + and square interlock to "dislodge" and render the cancel useless - but nothing had actually broken.

Maybe this will be helpful to someone in the future - if their turn signal cancel stops working. You may not need a new mfs - you may simply have to remove the current one - and re-align the + on the column with the square receiver on the switch. Just make sure the steering wheel is NOT at the cancel position (make sure the wheels are lined straight ahead) when installing (or re-installing) a mfs.

I am much happier with the over 8500 lb vehicle (longer) model as compared to the shorter one I have been using for a very long time!

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:27 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This ^^^^ is one reason I always center the steering when I park on level ground. Maybe they designed it with that separate piece that could be dislocated/relocated intentionally. I think with the older design, it would've just broken the canceller. Cancellers are broken off on my '85, but I think that's just from age.

There's a difference between models? How is the "short model" different? I thought we all used the same column. Oh, I think there might be a difference whether it's a tilt or no-tilt column, but that would have nothing to do with model, GVWR, etc.

Last edited by madpogue; 07-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:31 AM

Go to Official Ford Parts Site , enter your VIN, point to "Electrical, Lighting, & Body", and click "Switches". Change results per page to 75, find "Turn Signal Switch", and post what you find.

For a '93 Bronco, the options are SW5591 with red hazard button (original), and SW2485 with black.
For a '95 F150, only the black is recommended.
For '96 Bronco, both.
For a '95 F350 CC dually PSTD, only the black.

BTW
If you log into that site, you can save VINs and label them so you don't have to re-enter them each time to look up PNs. I have a bunch saved so I can compare things like this. But another way to do it is to click the "Buyer's Guide" tab, enter the PN, and look at the list of vehicles using that part. For SW2485, it's:

Years . . . Make Model Engine Qty per Vehicle
1992-1996 Ford Bronco All Engines 1
1992-1997 Ford F Super Duty All Engines 1
1992-1996 Ford F-150 All Engines 1
1992-1997 Ford F-250 All Engines 1
1992-1997 Ford F-350 All Engines 1

So as you see, trucks over 8500 use the same MFS as those under.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve83; 07-03-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

What vehicles are the shorter MFS for then?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have part numbers for the two?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowriter View Post
What vehicles are the shorter MFS for then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Go to Official Ford Parts Site , ...click the "Buyer's Guide" tab, enter the PN, and look at the list of vehicles using that part.
But I've never seen a "shorter" MFS lever. They're all designed for the same-diameter steering wheel on the same steering column, so they're all about the same length. Some bend up; some bend down; some are straight; some have chrome; some have extra terminals for cornering lights; some have an extra dial for a rear wiper (SUVs & hatchbacks)... But they're all pretty much interchangeable on this steering column.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Steve83; 07-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

I guess the different angle of the stem on the one I previously had installed makes it look and seem shorter because when installed - the end where the wiper delay dial is so far forward of the steering wheel. I didn't put them side by side to compare - but when looking at them near each other - they give the illusion of having different lengths.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in