Need a Mechanic in Seattle area. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a Mechanic in Seattle area.

Hello Everyone.

My 1997 7.3 is currently in the dealership.
It did a strange thing two times over the last few weeks so I took it in for diagnosis.
Within a minute or so after a cold start up, but while driving the "check engine" light came on and the engine lost almost all power. It did not die, and I drove a block or so before the light went out & power returned. It wasn't stumbling or smoking, just no power. I need to meet with the mechanic in the morning, but they said over the phone I have a CPS issue (which they just replaced a couple years ago under a recall.) They also say I have an injector and glow plug issues. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I can see the repair estimate now.

I have 244K and the truck has always been a good truck.

Can anyone recommend a good, yet not too expensive mechanic in the Seattle / Lynnwood area to do glow plug & injector work?

They specifically mentioned one injector, does it make sense to change them all. The truck seemed to run fine & has always started when cold just fine. If it isn't smoking or obviously missing, can I safely just continue to drive it and not worry about a questionable injector right now?

Thanks for your help.

1997 F250 XLT SC/LB AT Powerstroke 4X4 all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Did they tell you what the codes were? If there is a check engine light there should be a code associated with it. They usually like to do all the injectors to keep them balanced. The PCM can sense how the engine is running, slight rpm changes as each cylinder comes up on its powerstroke. Then is makes some injectors work more and others less to keep the engine running as smoothly as possible. So if you do just one injector it under compensates and the others over compensate.

'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
'06 F350 xlt crew cab. 5R110 auto trans. 4x4. EGR Delete. DIY Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. Blue spring fuel pressure regulator. Open CCV. SCT X4 Gearhead Tunes. Dual SPA fuel/oil pressure gaugeWicked Wheel 2.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Hi sdan 27

Thanks for the response.
I was unsuccessful at getting it to show a code before I took it in.

I just had the dealership Harris Ford do the work.

They have a diesel mechanic there Jeremy who seemed like a real good guy & he explained everything. He has a 7.3 himself, so it was good to BS about the truck with someone who seemed passionate about the 7.3. The main issue $$$ wise besides the CPS is the under valve cover harness connections were melting so I had one bad connection to an injector. They replaced all glow plugs, replaced the harnesses and the CPS.
They didn't need to do any injector work. It's still going to be over $3K by the time I drive off the lot. I thought about doing it myself, but I'm getting too old & fat (and possibly lazy) to lay over the radiator & fenders for hours.
I do have a tiny external coolant leak between the timing cover & block, but I guess you need to pull the motor to fix it, so that ain't happening any time soon (hopefully)

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1997 F250 XLT SC/LB AT Powerstroke 4X4 all stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in