On and off runs good won't run. help!! - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstrokebuff View Post
While it is running at adout 650 RPM, the HOP is at about 810 psi and IPR duty is at 28% , do these sound about right.
Could be normal or extremely high or extremely low, based on the meaning of "running". Is this at idle, in neutral? Or is it under load, lugging at 650? Idling in neutral, IPR% sounds high. Under load, it could be perfectly normal. ('Course, under load, you probably shouldn't lug the engine down to 650 RPM, but.....)

As for the EBPS, good find! And yeah, thinking it through, any sensor on the 5V VREF line has the potential to cause something like this. You'd think/hope it would throw a code, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My '96 idling from a cold start is at about 600 rpm, 650 psi HPO, 14.5% duty cycle.

Warmed up idling, the HPO falls a bit to about 580psi, and duty cycle falls to about 11.7%.

At least, it did when I took these particular readings.

Last edited by MichaelPatrick; 08-23-2017 at 07:59 AM.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Man this is getting old. Installed the injectors orings today, that went a lot smooth than I thought but I'm still loosing oil pressure and the truck dies. I did install another new IPR didn't help. Is there a chance seeing how the IPR is powered off the GPR , could the GPR be going bad and being intermittent. The GPR is pretty hot but I can't remember if it's supposed to be. Also the only sensor I haven't changed out is the maps, has it ever caused this kind of problem, I mean how many things can go bad at once. Any thoughts? Also the picture attached is my old IPR in the middle new on the right and the one I just replaced on the left, the truck maybe ran 30 minutes on it and it looks burnt on the stem. Looks worst than the original what might cause that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170823_171240_1503536911462.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	114633  

Last edited by powerstrokebuff; 08-23-2017 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The IPR is NOT powered off the GP relay. It may be on the same circuit, but it's controlled by the PCM. But the theory may have merit; the GP relay may be pulling down voltage on that circuit enough to affect the IPR. I'd have to study the EVTM to know for sure, and I don't have access to it currently. But to test your theory, just run the GPs for a while, say 10-15 seconds, then disconnect the relay before starting the truck, and see if that allows it to remain running.
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok I'll try it , also what do you suppose the burnt look on that new IPR might mean, the truck only ran with it for about 30 minutes total if that. I did put 12v directly to it but only for a few seconds.
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Another video maybe a little long winded but shows what I'm dealing with, hope someone has any other Ideas of what to check or has an analysis of what the problem is. I do still get oil pressure when I put 12v directly to the IPR, so I don't think it's the pump. Also I had a DP tuner in it from the PO I never used it in three years but just before all this started I mess around with it going from one range to another just to see what it would do. Then shortly after that my OD off light would come on and shift out of OD then just as randomly shift back in. would do it sometimes or not at all, then within a week it started the spiting and sputtering then no start, so I think maybe the PCM got screw-up somehow, I did remove the tuner and at the control button there was a broke wire if that makes any difference.

post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Well starts a little easier now but stalls , I try to run around the block but loses power, spits sputters and dies. At idle my hpop is at 650ish PSI and my ipr at 29% it hasn't gone much lower than that, I read that it should be down in the teens, what might that indicate. Getting ready to haul it to a shop as I just can't figure this out.
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone got any more advise as I have run out of ideas, only thing left to replace is my HPOP. Took the PCM to a local guy and he said it had issues and repaired them but it had no effect on my problem. Still cranks showing 200PSI and once in a while pressure will shoot up truck will start and run for a couple of minutes and pressure will drop and it will stall, just cranks more times than starts. Can the pump be bad and sometimes work. Does anyone have any other suggestions, I'll try anything. Thanks
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM

Powerstrokebuff, I'm right there with you. Same symptoms, pulling an occasional code related to CPS, just bizarre. I'm trying the CPS for grins, then checking the fuel pressure, the IPR. Unrelated but related, I was driving it all around town on a Saturday, started and shut off numerous times. Got home, went to start it and ...click. Had a local kid replace the starter, spooled up just fine, but coughed and spit upon start. Leveled out, drove to town, then no start. Finally started, got her home, no issues.

We're both in a lousy place right now. Gotta keep trying to figure this out!

'97 F350,CC,Auto,4X4, 235's, Banks Power Pack,10K and MAP box, 390k so far on original 7.3 and E4OD; "Orca, the Great White Wail"

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result."
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

I've determined mine is a bad signal / short to the IPR, ( maybe) as I can ground the signal side of the IPR and the truck will start right up. At the 25 pin at the 42 pin harness I had a 1/4 volt, .27v with key on but at the IPR connection on the signal side I was getting 11v ,hence keeping the IPR open, I believe I have a short someplace in between. I have ordered a new fuel bowl / IPR harness, I'll let you know how that goes.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Just an up date, the new wire harness made no difference. Still looking.
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:10 PM

My Photos: (19)
Did you try using temporary wires from the 42-pin connector to the IPR? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thought I would follow up on my issue and it has been solved. So after 3 months of replacing sensors, regulators, wiring and connectors, not to mention Injector O-rings I wish there was a way to better diagnose a bad computer. Had a feeling all along that was my issue but after taking it to Ecu Repair Now here in Denver and him telling me it was fixed with a three Hundred dollar bill. I figured maybe not , but if you are in the Denver area do not use ECU Repair now just a quack and a crook. Any way took the chance that was still my issue and ordered one ( a PCM) from Flagship one INC. and another week later, (got it today) stuck it in and Hallelujah, fired right up and purrs like a kitten. I guess the PCM with all it's codes does not have a code to flag itself to have the problem. I did however learn a lot about how this engine works and I do have a lot of new parts I shouldn't have to worry about for a while. I want to thank everyone for their help and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in