Only running on half of the cylinders....Drivers side is dead - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Only running on half of the cylinders....Drivers side is dead

I have a 1995 and it starting running rough today. After some diagnostics, I discovered that the engine is running on the Passenger Side cylinders only. With the engine running I can unplug both the valve cover connectors (injector harnesses) on the drivers side and there is no change in engine performance.

Does anyone have any help to offer. I have no idea what controls the injectors on the drivers side. If it were a gasser, I would be replacing a coil.

Thanks
Greg

~~GREG~~

1995 F-350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, XLT, Automatic Trans, Powerstroke Diesel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that the truck has been running perfect before today.

~~GREG~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I just checked the connectors coming to the drivers side valve cover. There is no voltage at the injector pins. I also tried reading the codes but my code reader says "no codes". Although the Check Engine Light comes on while it is running.

Does anyone know what send the signals to the drivers bank of injectors?

Thanks
Greg

~~GREG~~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does it start out running on 8 then drop a bank 7 or so seconds later ?...

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Yes it does

~~GREG~~

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Actually it does it about 2 seconds later

~~GREG~~

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM

My Photos: (61)
When mine did this it was one of the under valve cover wiring harnesses on the right side, shorted and took out the right bank. Your problem is on the left side, easier one to get to.

CLICK HERE to go to the thread I started several years ago when mine went south.

Remove the oil fill cap (I know it is on the right side) and see if you can smell anything like burned insulation from a hot wire - very distinct smell and it can travel from the driver side to the passenger side.

You can get the valve cover gasket and the under valve cover wiring harnesses from Ford or International plus Dorman makes a kit that includes one gasket and two harnesses for a low price, I have not tried the Dorman's but have heard mixed reviews on the part quality.

Part numbers:

Valve cover gaskets (one per bank of cylinders)
Ford -- F4TZ*6584*A
International -- 1815923C92

Under valve cover harnesses (two per bank of cylinders)
Ford -- F4TZ*9D930*K
International -- 181350C2

Per another thread here, the Dorman part number is 615202

Hope this gets you started. If all the wiring is OK I would look to the IDM (Injector Driver Module) next then the PCM.

Dave / Believer45

THANK YOU to all the heroes in our military and all the heroes at home who wait for their safe return. I am humbled by and grateful for your service and sacrifice.

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS
, LUK clutch, homemade
, open element
, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

It sounds like that might be my problem. I did a few more tests.

When I leave the drivers side forward harness disconnected and the rear one connected then start the engine, it runs on 6 cylinders. As soon as I plug the forward connector in, the whole drivers side is dropped and it runs on 4 cyl.

I guess I will get the valve cover kit from international.

Would a bad injector do the same thing?

Thanks

Greg

~~GREG~~

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 PM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You have a bad solenoid on one of the injectors . The IDM is going into protect mode after 7-10 seconds . Ohm the injectors

Quote:
This is from Patrick Feeley
On each valve cover connection there are five pins. The outermost pins (pins 1 & 5) are for the glowplugs. They should not have continuity with each other or the center three. The center three are for two of the injectors in each bank. The ohm reading between each outermost injector(pins 2 & 4) and the center pin (pin 3) should be about 2 ohms (if I remember correctly. Pins 2 & 4 should also not have continuity with each other. The undervalvecover harnesses are just replaced as a "unit" if they are bad (there are 4 of these harnesses per truck, 2 per side). Does that help? Cheers!
IIRC , they should all ohm around 3.2 ..One will be significantly different if it is a solenoid ....

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

I will ohm the injectors in the morning. It is raining hard here now. It is most definately a problem at the drivers side front. I will ohm both of those injectors. Does anyone know for sure what the ohm resistance should be?

Thanks
Greg

~~GREG~~

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Follow your nose it will save valuable diagnostic time/money the smell is like they say plastic burning just finished my job up a 1994 f-superduty flatbed towtruck with 7.3 td internationl vin code F on engine! Both harness and gasket on drivers rear injector/glowplug #6 was nukeded. Took for roadtest runs awsome. If would have found website ealier I would have gone to valvecover harness immediatly easy work to do compared to the 8 hours plus we at the shop have into testing fuel system, ignition, sensors, and also replacing APS on peddle assembly parts not even needed. One bank down will set all kinds of codes and headaches for nothing! Before we got truck to our shop it was at 3 different shops they changed fuel, filters, fuel water separators same work done at everyshop. Beleive me your time in research first is going to be very valuable. Good luck hope I could help!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM

You will probably see evidence of the issue when you pull the valve cover on the affected side. If the plug is melted at one of the outside two pins it is glow plugs, if it is melted at the second pin in from either end it is an injector, center pin is ground. You can follow the wires to get an indication which injector/glow plug is the problem. Checking resistance is the only sure way to tell.

If you determine it is glow plugs, I have an excellent article on the process if you would like it, done by a former member who went by Carpentractor. If you would like a copy shoot me an email at [email protected] with GLOW PLUG INFORMATION in the subject line, let me know what site you saw this on and I will reply with two attachments - Carpentractor's article and one I did on the glow plug relay.

Dave / Believer45

THANK YOU to all the heroes in our military and all the heroes at home who wait for their safe return. I am humbled by and grateful for your service and sacrifice.

'95 F250 ext cab long bed, PSD, 5 speed, 2 wheel drive, 3.55 gears, 286,000 miles, Edge Evolution CTS
, LUK clutch, homemade
, open element
, 36" ARE contractor cap. With tools, full of fuel and me on board (300 lbs) steer 3620, drive 3860 total 7480.

Last edited by Believer45; 12-02-2009 at 05:46 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

OK. I got the valve cover and such all apart this morning. As suggested my harness has melted.

You can view the pictures here

valve cover wiring harness pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

I think this is all related to the new glow plug relay I put in on Saturday. I dont think the glow plugs were working at all for a while prior to installing the new Relay. Then the melted harness.

I have a Dorman kit coming at noon today. And some new factory glow plugs coming at 2pm

One of the glow plugs was tough to get out. It looks like the hole that it was in is covered with some sort of build up. I will try to clean that up and put the new ones in.

Greg

~~GREG~~

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to say that the truck is up and running again. Thanks to all of those that helped me out.

~~GREG~~

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Glad it went well for you. How did you like the Dorman parts? Any comments on quality and such?

Dave / Believer45

, LUK clutch, homemade
, open element
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in