The Diesel Stop banner

outside pins fried - actually desintigrated - glow plugs?

868 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  julyer 
#1 ·
ok - after searching down a elec. problem last week,
(wrong gpr - (case grounded starter relay instead)
took the truck for a ride, was great until i turned my chip to street, stepped on it and - instant CEL - so i inspected UVCH plugs and sure eneough -
front drivers side pins - male/female - fried, so i have a new Valve cover gasket and 4 pigtail clips i am going to put on - i will be doing this tonight and i will only be doing the drivers side VCG

question: do i replace all 4 glow plugs while i am in there...
any advise?

thanks
Ryan..

#2 ·
While you are there I would replace all 4 unless they are not that old. Bit more labor intensive job (at least to me) and the plugs are not that expensive.

Dave / Believer45

#3 ·
replacing all 4 - ....ford is a rip off.....

advantage auto (ithaca NY)
is goint to have the motorcraft ZD-11's
in for me tomorrow by 8:00am for 14.25$ Ea.
Ford who is 1000' away wanted 25$ each..

so i will get them ready to go tonight, pull the valve cover, maybe get some photos for the forum. do you guys recommend cleaning oil real well, remove and r3eplace ------ or---- should i expect to have to suck oil out of the gp ports even if i am careful?

thanks in advance - thanks believer...
Ryan

#4 ·
take your time breaking them loose.....lots of horror stories about stuck glowplugs... back them off slowly if it feels like it is stuck leave it they should come out without much resistance... don't worry about the oil....

#5 ·
I would try and remove as much oil as possible if it gets in cylinder it can cause hydrolock. When you are finished with plugs turn it over by hand to make sure it is not locked up. Just my .02 Also I get my plugs on ebay ZD11s usually run about $60-65 per set of eight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.