Overheated Trans and leak. Now what to do? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andyandtherman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overheated Trans and leak. Now what to do?

Hi All,

I had the rig serviced here in Austin before we drove over to Fort Davis in West TX... roughly 500 miles away. The truck was fine on the way down, but that night I noticed it was leaking trans fluid from the pan. (The changing of the fluid and the trans filter were part of my service I had done). It got progressively worse and then actually threw codes for missed shifts and slips and eventually overheating. On the way home today, (yes, we made it) it actually poured fluid out from the pan sides. I stopped many times and to check levels, refill if needed, and let the trans cool. It got quite hot. In fact, you could hear it gurgling when you came to a stop. The shop will fix the leak (2 stripped bolts) and re change the fluid and filter, but I notice it hits hard into 2nd gear and occasionally when going through the gears, it seems like there's a clutch that's slipping, though it's an automatic. I'm trying to say that it holds back sometimes and then shifts.

I'll drop it off tomorrow and see what they say next week when they've had a chance to look at it, but does anyone have any words of wisdom on this? The trans was last rebuilt around 10 years ago and was doing fine other than an occasional dragging of itself into top gear on certain hills and at certain throttle position.

Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Andy

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

0-60 in 20 minutes flat!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:04 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Id find out exactly which fluid they used and which filter they used. All 4R100s take the tall filter, even though all the books list a short filter for the 2WDs. If you got so low on fluid that your clutches were slipping, youve pretty much trashed that transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

I drove it a couple of miles to the shop to drop it off for tomorrow and the shifting while not lagging or slipping, it was definitely going into the next gear roughly and smelled hot and nasty when I arrived.

They said they'll check it out in the am and I'll report back. I will also ask about the oil and filter. Hopefully the hard shifts aren't indicative of a burned up trans...

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

Last edited by Andyandtherman; 11-25-2018 at 05:03 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

They said it was the long filter they installed but they haven't ruled out the mechanic overfilling the pan. They drained it and are waiting for the proper gasket to arrive tomorrow whereupon they will put in fresh fluid and filter, drive it, change out the fluid and filter again, and see how it's shifting after that. Of course, they will be fixing the stripped holes where the pan bolts on as well...They also are going to be checking the trans cooler to make sure it's circulating properly.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 PM
RT

The stock gasket was a reusable rubber over steel gasket. If they threw that away and put on a cheesy cork gasket, Id be furious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
The stock gasket was a reusable rubber over steel gasket. If they threw that away and put on a cheesy cork gasket, Id be furious.

That's exactly what they did. They were about to do it again, in fact, when the senior tech said to get the rubber over metal and install that. Combined with stripping a couple of bolts and possibly over filling, no wonder I had a problem!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

OK, the trans is trashed and will require a rebuild from a reputable transmission shop. They agreed to do it and I agreed to pay 20% of the cost as it was a 10 year old transmission. I should have it back in a week they said.

With 4 wheel drive and 38" tires, are beefier clutches, etc required in your opinion, or will stock specs be sufficient. I'm not much of a tower or off roader...

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:46 PM
RT

You said it needs a rebuild from a reputable shop and then said the shop that stripped your pan bolts and used the wrong gasket was going to do it. Cant have it both ways. Id be scared to let them check my tire pressure. There are some upgrades, but it all depends on how heavy footed you are.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:52 PM

You can be assured that it will be built as cheaply as possible I'm afraid.

2011 F350 4x4 XL Crew Cab Dually

2010 Keystone Fuzion 405 Toyhauler
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
You said it needs a rebuild from a reputable shop and then said the shop that stripped your pan bolts and used the wrong gasket was going to do it. Cant have it both ways. Id be scared to let them check my tire pressure. There are some upgrades, but it all depends on how heavy footed you are.

What I hurriedly meant was that the shop who screwed up agreed to foot 80% of the bill for the transmission shop to rebuild it. I agreed to cover 20% as it was 10 years old.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 10:13 AM
RT

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm glad you were able to work out that deal.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
You can be assured that it will be built as cheaply as possible I'm afraid.
One might think so, but my friend, the service manager, told me where it's going and it's one of the best trans shops in Austin apparently. It's also going to run just over $2200 total cost to rebuild so it seems I'll make out OK on this... hopefully so anyway.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

OK, at long last, the truck is back... 1 month later. The trans was fully rebuilt by a very reputable shop and they installed heavy duty clutches, an upgraded and heavy duty torque converter, and even had to replace the transmission casing as it had warped from the heat. It's been tested over 100 miles and feels great. I volunteered to pay 15% of the cost as it wasn't new when they screwed up and it melted. I'm satisfied. They even gave me a loaner for the down time, though it wasn't as much fun driving a Honda Pilot as it is to drive my truck

It's great to have the big fella back!!!!!!
badbart likes this.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:48 PM

My Photos: (5)
Good to hear that your truck is back on the road! I had towed 6' x 12' uhaul trailer with living room furnitures inside. My tranny actually get very very hot! I was surprised to feel the heat wave from my ZF tranny, when I checked under my truck.

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:28 AM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenavigator View Post
My tranny actually get very very hot! I was surprised to feel the heat wave from my ZF tranny, when I checked under my truck.
How hot did it get? How do you know the heat you felt is from the transmission? What about the heat from the engine and radiator? That's ejected under the truck, past the transmission. And so is heat radiating off of the exhaust.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in