The Diesel Stop banner

Power steering pump or gearbox

4K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Audiowriter 
#1 ·
Here's the case that I have. On the way back home, I turned around the corner, I noticed that there is some pushing back on the steering wheel. Actually, it is more holding the steering wheel and will not me to turn smoothly. It is like someone is there holding the steering wheel back then suddenly let me go through. It only happens when I am turning around the corners. It doesn't matter which way, I go left or right, I feel the same feedback on the steering wheel. I checked steering shaft and didn't see anything like wrapping around the shaft at all. Steering pump is full. Maybe a tad too low but still have enough power steering fluid. I am not sure if it is the steering gear box or just power steering pump. Thoughts?

#3 ·
What ball joints? Are you referring to the steering wheel shaft? Or are they inside the steering gear box or pump?

#5 ·
Oh ball joints! Just had dumb moment! I had checked under the engine, to check the steering linkage. They are all solid. I had my wife turning the steering wheel while I am under there, looking at the movements of the linkage. They are going fine as expected from left to right and back full.

It is the steering wheel that actually being held back when I try to turn, doesn't matter which way, left or right. It reacts same way but spotty. There and here and there, not in same spot all the time when I turn the steering wheel.

#6 · (Edited)
I still say it could be the ball joints.
NOT the steering "tie rod" (linkage) - but the ball joints.

I couldn't find a picture - but here is a video of a guy changing his ball joints. (It's not an easy job to take on...)

Have yours possibly been changed recently?

Usually when they are old and wore out they "rattle" when hitting bumps and when they are really wore it makes for sloppy steering.

But like I said previously - new ball joints (cheap ones) can "drag" at spots - like something is stopping the steering wheel from turning.
It can be at random times - and random positions during a turn.

#8 ·
You can better check if it is the ball joints by jacking both front wheels up off the ground (place sturdy jack stands under each I-Beam axle at a location where the wheels can turn back and forth) then try turning the steering wheel.
Sometimes the ball joints need the weight of the truck on them before they "drag" and cause the problem - so if the steering works smoothly when its jacked up - it very well still could be the ball joints causing the problem.

#9 ·
Couple weeks ago, I got chance to check the steering issue. I had front end raised and checked the steering system. It seems to be fine. As I recall that the power steering box was pretty low. Think that air entered the system and caused this issue?

#10 ·
It's possible that air can do that - but when there is air in the PS system - usually it has a "grinding" sound when turning the wheel until the air is worked out. If it is air - after filling it up with PSF - it should work the air out - in time - from driving / turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.