The Diesel Stop banner

Power steering pump or gearbox?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jcart 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I return to the best forum once again in need of advice/help. For a while now, I have had some play in my steering wheel (almost 1/4 turn before steering responds). Where could this play come from? I can watch the linkage from the cab into the box to be moving and the steering tie rod won't move. But I don't know where I can adjust this play.....any advice would be great!

#2 ·
There is a jam nut and screw on top of the steering gear box that can be adjusted, but you have to be careful not to tighten it too much. I would do a very little bit at a time to see if it helps. If the steering wheel doesn't return on its own, you've probably overdone it. Also, check the steering shaft to make sure there is not slop in it where the shaft sections come together. Cheers!

#3 ·
also check the bolts for the steering box, i had to replace mine because they stretched . to check them get someone to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth and someone to look at the box to see if it wiggles against the frame.

#4 ·
If the mid steering shaft (steering column to box) is loose replace with a borgeson mid shaft. I have a write up in my sig link, results are worth the effort there is also an interim fix too.

jrc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.