Power steering pump or gearbox - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power steering pump or gearbox

Here's the case that I have. On the way back home, I turned around the corner, I noticed that there is some pushing back on the steering wheel. Actually, it is more holding the steering wheel and will not me to turn smoothly. It is like someone is there holding the steering wheel back then suddenly let me go through. It only happens when I am turning around the corners. It doesn't matter which way, I go left or right, I feel the same feedback on the steering wheel. I checked steering shaft and didn't see anything like wrapping around the shaft at all. Steering pump is full. Maybe a tad too low but still have enough power steering fluid. I am not sure if it is the steering gear box or just power steering pump. Thoughts?

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 AM

My Photos: (3)
Check the ball joints and see if they are bad.
I have replaced ball joints with brand new - BUT - cheap ones - and had the exact same problem you are having.

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

What ball joints? Are you referring to the steering wheel shaft? Or are they inside the steering gear box or pump?

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:46 AM

The ball joints are what hold the wheels (hub) to the front axles. There is one on top and one on the bottom on both front wheel hubs. These are what allow the front wheels to "turn" back and forth.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Oh ball joints! Just had dumb moment! I had checked under the engine, to check the steering linkage. They are all solid. I had my wife turning the steering wheel while I am under there, looking at the movements of the linkage. They are going fine as expected from left to right and back full.

It is the steering wheel that actually being held back when I try to turn, doesn't matter which way, left or right. It reacts same way but spotty. There and here and there, not in same spot all the time when I turn the steering wheel.

Bluenavigator

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:22 AM

I still say it could be the ball joints.
NOT the steering "tie rod" (linkage) - but the ball joints.

I couldn't find a picture - but here is a video of a guy changing his ball joints. (It's not an easy job to take on...)

Have yours possibly been changed recently?

Usually when they are old and wore out they "rattle" when hitting bumps and when they are really wore it makes for sloppy steering.

But like I said previously - new ball joints (cheap ones) can "drag" at spots - like something is stopping the steering wheel from turning.
It can be at random times - and random positions during a turn.

Last edited by Audiowriter; 04-18-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I will take a look at it tomorrow.

Bluenavigator

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:28 AM

You can better check if it is the ball joints by jacking both front wheels up off the ground (place sturdy jack stands under each I-Beam axle at a location where the wheels can turn back and forth) then try turning the steering wheel.
Sometimes the ball joints need the weight of the truck on them before they "drag" and cause the problem - so if the steering works smoothly when its jacked up - it very well still could be the ball joints causing the problem.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Couple weeks ago, I got chance to check the steering issue. I had front end raised and checked the steering system. It seems to be fine. As I recall that the power steering box was pretty low. Think that air entered the system and caused this issue?

Bluenavigator

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:24 AM

It's possible that air can do that - but when there is air in the PS system - usually it has a "grinding" sound when turning the wheel until the air is worked out. If it is air - after filling it up with PSF - it should work the air out - in time - from driving / turning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in