Power stroke misses losses power stops - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power stroke misses losses power stops

This is my first post on this forum. 1997 F250HD 7.3l turbo diesel power stroke 135,000 miles. 2nd time with last month this issue has occured. Driving along no real issues, then suddenly engine starts making a very loud locking noise, will lose power and then quit. Seems like a fuel issue. Switching tanks is of no avail, but then truck wont start, it turns over, making loud knocking noise but no start, about 15-20 minutes later it starts, at first it is very rough but within a minute or two it smooths out then truck runs as if no issues, I have noticed the mileage seems to be decreasing. Last time this happened it ran for almost 2000 miles then early today same issue returned, got it back to house (towed) to start troubleshooting and it started first very rough no power then suddenly it is running fine no issue, have put 50 miles on it since last incident, any ideas? Would CPS cause this, would failing mechanical fuel pump be a probable cause, just not sure how to chase this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 02:01 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If you think it could be fuel pressure, this is what I did to check it. I replaced the Schrader valve at the fuel filter canister, with a 1/8 pipe thread nipple with a hose barbed end at the other end, from Home Depot, and slipped a hose about 6 ft long and a cheap mechanical fuel pressure gauge at the other end, clamped everything tight, and that way I can start the engine and see if the pressure comes up while cranking and upon starting. If you do that you can run the hose in the cabin through the window and drive it, or just let it idle until it stops while you watch the gauge.
Eventually, I am going to replace the Schrader valve with a nipple about two inches long, and use a female T fitting to leave the gauge on one side, and the Schrader valve on the other side permanently. Possibly later, Iíll run an electric fuel gauge into the cabin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in