Prestone ELC bad for PSDs? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Prestone ELC bad for PSDs?

I just got 4 gallons of Prestone ELC. I rather non-ELC but Walmart sells all ELC coolants. I searched the forum. Seem everyone buy SCA charged coolants. I know couple places sell them. I just want to get over with coolant stuff tonight.

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 PM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenavigator View Post
I just got 4 gallons of Prestone ELC. I rather non-ELC but Walmart sells all ELC coolants. I searched the forum. Seem everyone buy SCA charged coolants. I know couple places sell them. I just want to get over with coolant stuff tonight.
Personally I would stay away from ELC in a 1995 Powerstroke engine if it is an OAT (Organic Acid Technology) coolant. Ford doesn't recommend using ELC in the older Powerstrokes because the gaskets and seals were not made for it. Just my 2 cents.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Also I doubt that it is low silicate that is recomended for our trucks.

Jim

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Any recommand coolant beside SCA charged coolants at common stores?

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:15 PM

My Photos: (4)
I run Cat ELC in my 7.3IDI. I only do so because the engine has been resealed from one end to the other. You DO NOT want to convert over to ELC because if the system didn't leak before, it'll surely leak when you put the ELC in. One of the advantages of ELC is the absence of silicate.

1986 F-250 Supercab 2wd 6.9l T-19B 4 speed 200,000 kms (125000 miles) College teacher dropped it off at my house to have for FREE !
1990 F-350 XLT Lariat CC 4x4 SRW 7.3l, E4OD (Now ZF5 with Luk SMF), 3.55, 281000 kms (175000 miles) Paid $1300 01/05
1995 F-250 XL Supercab 4x4 7.3PSD ZF5 (Luk clutch/SMF) 3.55 265000 kms (164000 miles) Paid $6200 10/08
2005 E-150 XL 4.6l V8 60000 kms (37000 miles) Paid $15000 09/07
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenavigator View Post
Any recommand coolant beside SCA charged coolants at common stores?
Last time I changed my coolant, I bought Texaco Heavy Duty at Advanced auto and added the additive. I had several gallons of CAT elc that I was going to use, but I didnt. I know alot of guys use it and do not have any problems. I changed my coolant due to a mishap with a sawzall when I was installing my intercooler . I figured with 170k on the radiator it was time for a new one anyway, but when I looked inside it looked like it was brand new so I had it repaired for $35.00. Thats why I stuck with the standard coolant. Good luck

Frank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 F-250 H.D 4X4 CREW CAB SHORT BED, MBRP 4" TURBO BACK, 16K REESE, 3:55, Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges, tri pillar, 11\16\05 BDP STAGE 1 INJECTORS, TS 6 POSITION CHIP, TYMAR INTAKE 3/27/06 B.T.S. , SIRIUS RADIO, BDP IDM, 4" 350 BLOCKS,160,000 SP Exhaust Brake, 7/4/07 6.0 Intercooler, 7/29/07 Blackbirds Customs rear disc 9/11/07 King Pin Dana 60, SKY 3" RSK, V code 5200 lbs SD springs, 10/17/07 Pro Comp Xtreme's 315x75x16 on Pro Comp 1059's 8"x16" 1/27/08 DIY Fuel System, Running on DSE since March 2008
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Pitbull Motorsports rigid chopper...Traded on 2010 F-250 5/30/14
121 TP 130rwh 250 avon
04 CRF250 mine....Gone
02 CR80 sons...Gone
03 XR100 daughters..Gone
425 Polaris magnum
500 Polaris sportsman and 300 lakota everyone
2011 Cougar 325 SRX Toyhauler
2010 F-250 4 door 6.4 with all the fixins
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

I went to several stores with no luck. My wife just pointed to small auto business shop and asked me to check it out. I was surprised that they do carry FORD products! I asked the salesperson about SCA charged coolants. He wasn't sure what I was talking about. So he walked to the shelf and showed me Ford DCA bottle. I was dumbfound to see that. It is "Ford/Motorcraft Diesel Cooling System Additive" and I read the directions. It mentioned to use "Fleetguard DCA4 Test Strip Kit" which I am familiar with. Also, I got Ford/Motorcraft Premium Engine Coolant. It mentioned "Green-colored, conventional coolant formula, which is the right stuff that I need to get.

The prices aren't that bad unless you know where to get them cheaper. DCA bottle (1 pint) for $5.49 and one gallon coolant for $10.49

As I read the direction on DCA bottle, it said 4 FL OZ per gallon. I wasn't sure because on forum, I read somewhere to get 4 bottles of them for whole 32 qt coolant system. I only put 2 bottles in because I know that I didn't get the whole coolant out when I replaced the Orings in the oil coolant part. Nope, I didn't pull the plug from the back of the engine. I just hope that I didn't overcharge the coolant with DCA. Need to run and grab these test strips since mine were too old, both expired in 2003 and 2004. Doubt that they are any good due to short shelf life.

Bluenavigator

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM

so the old green coolant is OK, right??

I am pondering changing coolant also. I have some I bought awhile back, but wnat to confirm that the 'old', meaning old type, green coolant is OK, proviided you add DCA..??
specifically, I have 2 types on hand:

Prestone, yellow bottle, 'patened dualaction formula', ingredients" ethelene glycol, diethtlene glycol, water, corosion inhibitors."" no silicates or DCA mentioned.... (have 3 gals of this.)

I also have on hand Prestone SCA precharged, low silicate formula, Black bottle, w/'penray' technology.. ingredients list as above plus 'defoamer, silicates, dye'.. (have 2 gals of this one)

both of these I have had on hand unopened for years.. do the have a shelf life??

I hope you can clear this up for me.. I remain confused on this topic...
also, these diesels are fickle SOBs ain't they!!!

PS: is it recommended to change the thermostat? Or if it aint broke do not fix it.??

96PSD; 165,000 Miles, 2WD, EC, LB, DPPI downpipe/ CAT eliminator, AutoMeter PYRO/Boost, K&N Filter, TruCool H7B tranny cooler & filter, Superchips 1700 programmer, BD ex. brake/BD autoloc. Two trans gauges
an, return line. RBW Lilrocker hitch
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanhoo View Post
I am pondering changing coolant also. I have some I bought awhile back, but wnat to confirm that the 'old', meaning old type, green coolant is OK, proviided you add DCA..??
specifically, I have 2 types on hand:

Prestone, yellow bottle, 'patened dualaction formula', ingredients" ethelene glycol, diethtlene glycol, water, corosion inhibitors."" no silicates or DCA mentioned.... (have 3 gals of this.)

I also have on hand Prestone SCA precharged, low silicate formula, Black bottle, w/'penray' technology.. ingredients list as above plus 'defoamer, silicates, dye'.. (have 2 gals of this one)

both of these I have had on hand unopened for years.. do the have a shelf life??

I hope you can clear this up for me.. I remain confused on this topic...
also, these diesels are fickle SOBs ain't they!!!

PS: is it recommended to change the thermostat? Or if it aint broke do not fix it.??
Use the black bottled Prestone. It is low silicate/Heavy Duty coolant. I am not sure about the shelf life but it should say somewhere on the bottles if there is a shelf life.

Griz

02 F250, 4X4, 4R100, 3.73, B&M Transmission Pan, Edge CTS Digital Gage, Tymar 4" Exhaust, Tymar Intake & HPX & TS 6 Position Chip. IH Bellowed Up-Pipes, RiffRaff AIH delete plug, Riffraff FRx Kit. 6.0 Transmission Cooler. Dieselsite Coolant filter & Transmission filter & 203 Thermostat & WW2 & TurboMaster & inter-cooler boots. BD CCV filter. Driven Diesel Fuel Tank Mod & Pre-Pump Filter. John Wood's valve body.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:43 AM

My Photos: (4)
Garage
Well, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been running CAT ELC in my 96 for 2-3 years now and have not had any problems at all.

“Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word. And there's an opening convey of generalities. A Texan outside of Texas is a foreigner.” John Steinbeck

2011 F-350 XLT Crew Cab SRW 6.7 PSD 4x4. Ranch Hand Legend Bumpers Front & Rear.
2015 VW Passat TDI SE
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormDrowner View Post
Well, maybe I'm just lucky, but I've been running CAT ELC in my 96 for 2-3 years now and have not had any problems at all.
I hear that a lot. I guess time will tell. Ford has approved using the gold HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolants in their vehicles as far back as the 1999 model year, providing the cooling system has been thoroughly flushed to remove all traces of the green coolant. If regular tap water is used instead of distilled or demineralized water, the recommended service interval is only 50,000 miles.
Ford does not recommend using propylene glycol-based coolants in any of their vehicles, or "universal" coolants that claim to be a replacement for any color antifreeze. They also have not approved the use of any organic acid technology (OAT) extended life coolants (ELC) in the PowerStroke cooling system. CAT ELC is an OAT coolant. There are other choices out there so my feelings are why risk it.

Griz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in