Returning member needs help with vac and fuel pump. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Returning member needs help with vac and fuel pump.

Hello again!

I have been a member of this forum in years past (evanmac) and have returned because my truck is having some issues I need help with.

First the truck has had a small fuel drip for a few weeks now while running... I am assuming that is the low pressure fuel pump "weeping"? the fuel is coming from the rear of the valley under the turbo.... i can see the fuel pump there and a small puddle of fuel behind and under it. How can I be sure and/or is this a common simptom?

Yesterday on the way home my power brakes stopped working and I opened the hood to see the vac pump pulley was locked up solid and the belt was making a nice burning smell!

So, I am thinking that I want to fix my fuel leak while I have the truck down for the vac pump issue. Any advice or corrections in my thinking?

I would like to find a good mechanic for my truck here in the Shreveport Louisiana area if I can because I really don't have the time to work on the truck as much as I used to and the dealership is way too expensive.

Anyone here familiar with my area?

Thanks in advance!

EvanMC (formerly EvanMac

1996 f250 4x4 supercab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 AM

Hmmm....

I have had the same symptoms before. Fuel leaking in the valley and then down the back of the engine.

Most likely the leak is coming from the transfer pump hoses. A few little hoses with clamps on them. Your dealer should have all the parts you need. Maybe replace the pump if it's the original? You'll almost be there anyway. Took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete the replacement of the pump by myself taking my time. First I cleaned the top of the engine with some degreaser and blew everything dry with air so I wasn't wallowing in dirt the whole job.

Vacuum pump is pretty straight forward. Probably have to yank the fan to gain access though.

97 F-350 XLT 4x4 in pieces all over my garage floor. Imagine that!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by okney1lz; 02-04-2009 at 02:59 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

You do not have to pull the fan to replace vacuum pump. Just be sure and take it with you when you get replacement as you need a puller for the pulley. Autozone usually will let you use theirs or pull it for you.

97 F250 Ext Cab E4OD,245K Miles.Mods.10K,Shimmed Fuel Pressure,6637 Air Filter,140Volt IDM, 3" DownPipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you have the zone do it for you ,,you need to put the bolts in the holes ,before the pulley is pressed on ,,& make sure it ends up is the same spot it was ,,(note how far on the shaft it was)...

Puller & installer pics ...

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! that is what I needed to know!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2009, 04:48 PM

I have a factory fuel pump if you're interested. It came off my truck about a month and a half ago.

1997 F-350 PSD 4X4, Baby Swamps, TS 4 position chip with 4 TWildman custom programs, Autometer boost and pyro guages, LuK clutch and single mass flywheel, 4 inch stainless turbo-back exhaust, gutted EBPV, Tymar intake, Banks Intercooler kit, Dieselsite HD HPOP, Dieselsite CPR fuel system, 16.5 Eagle Alloy 589 wheels with 35x12.50 BFG A/T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in