Smoke/steam from valve cover. No pressure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke/steam from valve cover. No pressure

I have had my truck for one year, got her with 206k on the clock and she’s been a damn good truck. For as long as I have had her she has had smoke coming from the dipstick and the valve cover. It has no noticeable amount of pressure pushing it out. I’m one of those people that want there vehicles at the best they can be and this has been one thing I haven’t been able to track down. I assumed blow by but I have done all the shade tree mechanic tests, flipped the cap and it doesn’t move at all, used a paper towel and laid it on top and it also doesn’t move whatsoever. It will alternate between the cap and the dipstick tub, remove the cap and it’s coming from the cover. Cover the hole or put the cap back and it moves to the dip stick. The only think I can assume it would be is moisture or oil being burnt internally from a leaky o-ring on a injector (if that’s possible) I have quite a few friends who work on diesels for a living and I get mixed opinions. Some say blow by, others say it’s normal for a 7.3 to do this, and one says it may been getting water in the cylinder from a internal head gasket leak (he said it’s not likely but has seen it happen before) it only happens when she gets up to temp. I’m leaning more towards the leaky o-ring or cracked injector cup for the simple fact that occosionally when I give her the beans I can smell a mix of burnt oil and fuel. It has the original injectors according to all the previous owners, I have met and talked to all of them. Though I don’t trust them because they all want the truck back something serious. I’d appreciate any advice you 7.3 vets got for me, this is the first diesel I have owned personally and the oldest one I have experience with and it’s night and days difference from 6.0s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 AM

My Photos: (19)
If you do have a cracked injector cup, you should see fuel in the coolant. You might send an oil sample out for analysis (someone like Blackstone) and see if it shows fuel or coolant in it. If there is water/coolant in the oil it should look like a milkshake. Short of doing a compression test and removing injectors to check the cups (and replace O-rings while you're at it), there not much else to do. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
If you do have a cracked injector cup, you should see fuel in the coolant. You might send an oil sample out for analysis (someone like Blackstone) and see if it shows fuel or coolant in it. If there is water/coolant in the oil it should look like a milkshake. Short of doing a compression test and removing injectors to check the cups (and replace O-rings while you're at it), there not much else to do. Cheers!
there is definitely no mixture of oil or coolant or diesel of any sort, the oil is black as night, and the coolant is just coolant. I know this for a fact cause shortly after I posted this my water pump took a **** on me and poured most of it out on my driveway 😂 funny how everytime you brag about em they kick ya in the balls. How about bad o-rings? Seems like a possible culprit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:24 PM

My Photos: (19)
You'll always get some oil vapor out the engine and you'll also get some condensation burning off as well as it warms up. As far as injector O-rings go, keep tabs on your oil usage. My only experience with an o-ring failure was my 94 using 8 quarts in 150 miles (right after an oil change at 175k). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in