starter clicks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By shodo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starter clicks

Hi; I cranked my truck yesterday, it started fine. Went to the store, and turned it off, now it won't crank over. The starter clicks but does not spin the engine.. Starter clicks when I try to start. jumped starter no good. hammered starter, no good. replaced the starter and get the same results. engine is not locked up. Got 12.+ volts on cables.
I checked all the fuses and they are fine, cleaned the battery cables and posts, they were clean enough. Battery has 12.5v on both batteries tested them sepertaly. Placed a battery charger on over night, and starter still just clicks. Had truck towed home, and put it in gear when off loading from tow truck to turn fly wheel. Still getting same results.. Any ideas on what it could be... Need truck asap... Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions... Sam.

97 7.3l 4x4, auto tranny

97, f350, cc, 4x4, 7.3l, 4.10, trans cooler, autohubs, headache rack/toolbox/cust. bumpers, 350k, no mods yet...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Sounds like the starter solenoid/relay that is mounted to the passenger fender behind the battery. You will see the cables.
Jump that and report back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:21 PM

Don't be surprised if a new starter is not in order. Don't be fooled by a parts store doing a bench test, means thing without doing a load test which most of them cant do. Had the same thing happen on my 99, Bench test was good, but I put a new one on anyhow, started right up. I would stay away from Napa ones too, seem to only last 6 months or so.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 4614 View Post
Don't be surprised if a new starter is not in order. Don't be fooled by a parts store doing a bench test, means thing without doing a load test which most of them cant do. Had the same thing happen on my 99, Bench test was good, but I put a new one on anyhow, started right up. I would stay away from Napa ones too, seem to only last 6 months or so.
Shodo said that he replaced the starter already, and still the same.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 240,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonWarkentin View Post
Shodo said that he replaced the starter already, and still the same.
Missed that guess. Little tricky doing but can go right at the starter and jump it to see if it cranks. if not still could be a bad starter.
Little wire on starter should have power coming to it in start position.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodo View Post
Got 12.+ volts on cables.
Check it DURING the cranking attempt (when the click occurs).
Quote:
cleaned the battery cables and posts, they were clean enough.
Apparently not. Click this thumbnail (or the text below it if you're using a phone) & read the captions:

(phone app link)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Tried to jump solenoid/relay and starter clicks...
I will check all cables for volts tomorrow... and yes under load..

Thanks for all the help...
Sam.

97, f350, cc, 4x4, 7.3l, 4.10, trans cooler, autohubs, headache rack/toolbox/cust. bumpers, 350k, no mods yet...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 08:39 PM

If the starter was actually trying, you wouldn't he seeing 12+ volts.
Also its possible that your glowplugs aren't working. 12+ volts is too high for stuff to be working. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 AM

If you're testing voltage across either battery's posts, and you get >11 with the key in START (relay engaged), there's a fault between the batteries & the starter. If you're testing AT the starter (from its post to its case), the fault is in the starter.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Replaced solenoid/relay yesterday, (in freezing rain) and starter clicks. Testing cables today, after it warms up...
Cleaning cables again also...

Thank for the help.. Sam

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Replaced solenoid/relay yesterday, (in freezing rain) and starter clicks. Testing cables today, after it warms up...
Cleaning cables again also...

Thank for the help.. Sam
Have you tried right down at the starter? jump from the little terminal to the large hot cable. also if cross the two large one at starter you will know if getting enough power right at starter. . When was having problems with mine did it that was. would crank over but not long enough to start. Ended up being a bad solenoid on the starter.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Truck running, replaced pos battery cable from battery to starter, was a nick in cable running under mother mount. total cost, (solenoid, and cable $130)... and 4 days... (starter was a lifetime warranty)
Thank you everyone for all the help!...
Sam
Randy 4614 likes this.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Glad you got it figured out and report back on the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in