Starts then dies. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starts then dies.

Hello,

I am sure this is covered somewhere, but couldn't find it.
I am sorry if this is a redundant question.
1997 F250 4WD 7.3 325K miles.
The truck is basically 100% stock.
I was driving to work and the engine died like you turned it off (although dash lights came on /charge/oil on, so not EXACTLY like turning it off.)
Fully warmed up.
You can crank it, and it immediately fires while cranking, but as soon as you released the key it died.
The tachometer responds when cranking.
After several cranks/dies, it stayed running for a few blocks, and did it again.
after a few of these restarts, it stayed running and I got to work.
Now the symptoms have gone away.
Other than pop the hood and wiggle wiring while idling in the parking lot, this is as far as I have gotten.
My first thought/hope is that it could be as simple as the ignition switch.
It certainly seems to be electrical/not fuel etc.
Any thoughts are most appreciated.

1997 F250 XLT SC/LB AT Powerstroke 4X4 all stock

Last edited by unowhoseattle; 12-07-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the dash lights are coming back on then you are loosing power to the PCM. Check fuse #9 under the hood along with the PCM relay. Other than that you can try jiggling your key in the ignition, or it could be the ignition switch under the dash on the column.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

thank you for your help,
I could not recreate by jiggling, I will dig deeper and report back when I figure it out

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:40 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it happens again swap the top and bottom relays in the under hood box. Relay #1 is for the PCM. I have even heard of them becoming loose where if you push it in till it reseats will solve the problem.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, I will look at that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Hello again,

First, I just want to thank the people that take the time to read or respond on this. It is nice to know there is some place where I can learn more about my truck. My poor old truck.

I still don't know what's going on, but this is the current situation. Of course after the first day it ran flawlessly for the next day. I swapped out the relay #1 and maxi fuse #9, both seemed ok and tight. I looked inside the relay it appeared to be visually okay, I messed with the fuse and couldn't make it open or change resistance, but replaced them both.

As it seemed the engine would run/fire with the key in the start position (cranking,) I wired in a cut off switch for the starter solenoid thinking at worst I might be able to get the thing out of the road while holding the key switch cranked while not energizing the starter.

I also wired a toggle switch between maxi fuse 21 (30A trailer electronic brake/constant 12V) and fuse 22 (pcm relay/glow plug stuff/charge stuff,) that allowed the engine to run even with the key turned off, thinking that again I could at least get it out of the road if it was related to an ignition switch failure.

As the the truck was not acting up at that time, I couldn't test these other than verify that in either scenario, the engine itself would run okay, although the tranny was in emergency mode and the ABS light was on. But it appears you could drive the truck, but with no power to accessories circuits.

Today the truck acted up and neither of those above bypass attempts seem to change the symptoms at all. (Probably not the ign switch.)
It started stumbling and died a couple times, but was able to restart each time.

It was missing badly and belching out white smoke, and neither of those wiring experiments made any difference as far as the way it ran. I was sputtering down the road at like 30mph blowing out a smoke screen, but it didn't stop running completely, and at 30mph it was a "consistent" miss.

the check engine light came on, and after about a mile or so the symptoms went away and it was running fine again. I took it to a couple different auto parts stores after that, and it will not produce an error code. Is there a specific code reader I need to use?

I don't know exactly what error codes the truck stores, but I was driving this thing all over yesterday with the key off and the transmission in emergency mode, and with the ABS light on the whole time. Same with driving it with the starter solenoid disengage but the key in the start/crank position, that killed power to certain circuits and the truck did not act normal (abs light on, clunky shifting.)

I was actually concerned there would be a bunch of codes on there and I wouldn't be able to figure out which ones I'd caused and which ones are the issue. But there were no codes. What do I not understand?

If I take it to a professional, are they going to be able to access information/codes I can't?

Does anybody have a recommended service shop north end of Seattle?

What's the chance that somebody with the right equipment can easily diagnose this?

I didn't notice the tachometer jumping all over but could this be something like a cam position sensor?

I ordered a replacement ignition switch, but don't have it yet, but I would think that my jerry-rigged wiring may be eliminated that suspect

Sorry it's so long, any input is appreciated.

It's running perfectly now, and the concern is taking it to a shop and them not being able to find anything wrong with it if it is not acting up, at the moment.

Thanks.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM

The cam position sensor (CPS) is a known failure point for these trucks. Because it's a cheap fix if that's the problem or part of the problem, I'd just install a new one at this point. Be sure to get it from Ford or International. The aftermarket ones are known to often fail to satisfy the engine. If the new one doesn't help, keep the old one as a spare that might help you out of a fix in the future.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
The cam position sensor (CPS) is a known failure point for these trucks. Because it's a cheap fix if that's the problem or part of the problem, I'd just install a new one at this point. Be sure to get it from Ford or International. The aftermarket ones are known to often fail to satisfy the engine. If the new one doesn't help, keep the old one as a spare that might help you out of a fix in the future.
Thanks, I did have a new/sealed Ford CPS (F7TZ-12K073-B) in the glove box, so I swapped it out, it still died after the swap, although not with clouds of white smoke or severe stumbling.
It drove fine for 20 minutes, died like 3 times within a minute, re-fired every time, and then drove fine for another hour.
I am going to order another OEM CPS and try again just because I don't know where to proceed from here.

If anyone has any other ideas, please share,

I talked to K.C Martin in Lynnwood, WA. about looking at it, any feedback on them?

thanks for your help.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 11:59 AM

I had the same issue on my truck and ended up buying and installing several different parts that i thought were the problem until I found out it was the CPS... haven't had that problem since.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Just an update.
I installed the second new cam position sensor, and since I have driven approximately 400 miles with no issues. Now I carry two spare CPSs in my glove box. Thanks for everybody's help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in