Steering bearings and shifter linkage. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering bearings and shifter linkage.

My steering wheel has began to make a very, very slight - high pitch - squeak when turning. It's not constant - just in one small place as the wheel turns (either direction). There is no "drag" - the steering works fine. Just wondering if it's the bearings getting dry - or is there something else that might cause this little noise. And can one get in there - without a lot of difficulty to lubricate it, or make an adjustment.

Secondly - my shifter is beginning to drag when moving it from any position - to any position. I don't think its at the linkage at the transmission (maybe it's the TRS - will have to check?) but it feels like its in the column - is there a remedy for this also - without major difficulty? (haven't checked yet - but do these trucks have the torx bolts that attach the shifter cable bracket - to the shifter rod - and to the cable? - maybe they have become loose. - will also check that...)

Thanx!

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT

Last edited by Audiowriter; 11-14-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowriter View Post
Just wondering if it's the bearings getting dry - or is there something else that might cause this little noise.
Yes, it's likely something else. Usually the clock spring, if your truck has one.

(phone app link)

This column doesn't have a clock spring:

(phone app link)
Quote:
And can one get in there - without a lot of difficulty to lubricate it, or make an adjustment.
The bearings are sealed, and VERY difficult to get at. If there's ever a problem that deep in the column (which is rare), it's much easier to swap it out for a newer column (which has the benefit of a nicer wheel with more features, and better parts-availability).

(phone app link)

(phone app link)
Quote:
is there a remedy for this also - without major difficulty?
Usually. Read this caption & follow the links in it:

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Thanks Steve83 - I'll look into those links about my squeak.

BTW -
These trucks do have the notorious to come loose torx head bolts at the bottom of the steering column - but mine are tight.

However, I figured out that my shifter drag is caused from gunk on the TRS - I sprayed with WD40 and scraped some with a putty knife - then scrubbed lightly with an old toothbrush and it moves much easier. I'll drive it several days to put some action on the shifter (without sitting in the driveway and putting more "action" to it than necessary) and see if it gets even smoother - and I'll spray it occasionally too. And when the weather breaks here - I'll put on a new one.

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Steve83,

Always impressed by your detailed posts with the imbedded links.

Nice work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in