Suspected dirty injectors - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 05:48 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenavigator View Post
For the state inspection, they only checked the thickness of remaining thread. I hadn't get the tires balanced yet. I am going to do that this weekend or next.

Oh, you mean the tire shop do the inspection on the tires? Doh! My bad!
I have always used Discount Tire for my vehicles and when they balance a tire, they perform a thorough visual inspection while its on the machine. Especially if you mention the truxk sat for a couple years. No doubt they have a business interest in finding damage but I bet they have saved alot of roadway blowouts and lives with this practice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 01-11-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Got my tires inspected and balanced. Only one went bad, need 14.5 grams lead. That tire was trashed. Drove my truck again. Guess what? Shaky gremlin is still there. *sigh*

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
post #18 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:35 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I had a set of tires that gave me a vibration no matter how they were balanced. If a certain tire was on the front I would get vibrations at 50-60mph, if it was on the rear the vibration would show up between 70-80mph. I loved it when I got rid of them.

So, have you had your drive line checked to see if it is balanced, checked U-joints? No bent axle?

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

The tires, after being balanced, were mounted back to opposite corners/sides as rotated. The shaky gremlin came back at same speed range. I have replaced all three u-joints. The drive shafts wasn't checked but from visual check, I do not see anything that showed something being off or that they were bent at all. The only thing that was bent is the spare tire carrier as it was bent when it was not put up while driving backward. My mistake. I can take it off and have it fixed later but doubt that it has anything to do with the vibration but it wouldn't hurt to have it removed and see if anything is different.

Bluenavigator

'95 F-350 XLT PSD, CC, 2WD, Garrett Turbo AR 1.1, 5spd ZF tranny, LUK, 4.10 Limited Slip, just added Dual Arm Tenisoner. Just added my ol' vacuum gauge to monitor my vacuum pump.
post #20 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 05:35 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The drive shaft doesn't need to be bent but can be out of balance. If you look at a lot of them you will see balancing weights attached to them

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #21 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I do see weights attached to the shafts. They are still there.

Bluenavigator

post #22 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:26 PM

My Photos: (19)
How's the carrier bearing? Not that I know (and maybe somebody here can chime in), but don't the sections of driveshaft need to be "phased"? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #23 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenavigator View Post
Got my tires inspected and balanced. Only one went bad, need 14.5 grams lead. That tire was trashed. Drove my truck again. Guess what? Shaky gremlin is still there. *sigh*
Well you are still better off to have had the work done and eliminate one more possibility.

So here is a thought, have you driven the truck in various gears to determine if the vibration is speed related or RPM related?

Agree that a carrier bearing could be worn out. They should be snug and not sloppy when gripping and shaking the driveshaft by hand.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #24 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
How's the carrier bearing? Not that I know (and maybe somebody here can chime in), but don't the sections of driveshaft need to be "phased"? Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
Well you are still better off to have had the work done and eliminate one more possibility.

So here is a thought, have you driven the truck in various gears to determine if the vibration is speed related or RPM related?

Agree that a carrier bearing could be worn out. They should be snug and not sloppy when gripping and shaking the driveshaft by hand.
Yes, I had the mid-section carrier replaced once back in 2000. I didn't feel anything from that one. Someone mentioned to check this part back in 2000 on this forum, under different name (pre-thedieselstop). From that, I just went up and checked it out. Sure enough, that it is really loose, not snug at all. Had hard time take it out but put new one on, it is smooth sail.

Today, I am going to attach GoPro cameras and monitor the under carriage.

Side note: I am deaf, which poses another problem, unable to hear certain noises, necessary to diagnose the whole thing.

Bluenavigator

post #25 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Update: I had my friend ride with me. He suspected flywheel being unbalance. Oh great...

Bluenavigator

post #26 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 PM

My Photos: (8)
I would look other than the flywheel. I don't think I have ever seen a post about that being a problem.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #27 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:05 AM

My Photos: (180)
If you had the dual mass flywheel, that could be a possibility if it puked a spring out. But the thing is about a flywheel being out of balance, is it would be evident at all speeds, even when sitting still. It's possible that it could amplify at certain speeds/engine rpm's because of harmonics, but I'd be doubtful it's the flywheel. It can easily be tested by revving the engine while sitting still.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #28 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Yea, I had that experience before replace it with LUK.

Just few minutes ago, my hearing daughter rode with me. She said that it is nothing from transmission. However, there is subtle knocking noise, more from the front around tires. It is not loud but it is there. My next guess is to check the bearings and spindles. That is better than pulling the transmission for sure!

Bluenavigator

post #29 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 PM

If you have already replaced u-joints in the front axle then possible bad wheel bearings?

I feel like I am just throwing darts at the wall at this point.

SOLD:
post #30 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM

My Photos: (180)
Your last dart (front axle u-joints) missed by a long way.

Notice in his signature he has a 2WD truck.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in