Unexplained hole in the manifold - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unexplained hole in the manifold

I recently added a tuner to my 97' F350. Unfortunately, I had to disconnect it because I did not realize the transmission had already been rebuilt and has a shift kit in it. The truck shifted so hard in every gear it was like it was going to destroy the rear end. A few days after I disconnected it, I noticed a sound like a pop off valve on an air compressor, but it sounded more like an exhaust leak. I noticed when I started it up, the sound would be real loud and then go away until I got in and gave it gas. I also noticed when I started it up it would blow the dirt on the ground just behind the driver side front wheel so I got under it and looked. I seen a hole in the manifold that looks like something was meant to be there. I am assuming that because there are no error codes, it was probably a plug of some sort. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Hopefully the two attached pictures will help. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0430.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	125688  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	125690  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 AM

My Photos: (3)
Might have been some brand / type of Pyro (exhaust heat temp) gauge sensor relay.
It looks like there was a metal strap around the doughnut bolt knobs that held the pyro sensor in place.

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowriter View Post
Might have been some brand / type of Pyro (exhaust heat temp) gauge sensor relay.
It looks like there was a metal strap around the doughnut bolt knobs that held the pyro sensor in place.
Okay, please excuse my ignorance. This is my first diesel truck. Now that I am learning and beginning to work on it, I am really finding out how much I don't know. What is a Pyro sensor and could you point me somewhere I could see one? If this blew out or broke out, i need to see if I can replace it. Wouldn't there be some wires somewhere for it also. I wasn't really looking for anything like that so i could have missed it.

Thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:19 AM

My Photos: (2)
Pyro= pyrometer. Measure exhaust gas temps. Should be a gauge in the cab somewhere, or maybe a previous owner used a fancy tuner that read it digitally. Either way, I'd guess the new tuner gave you enough power to blow the thing out of what looks like a rusty hole.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 AM

Its possible they pulled the gauges and clipped the sensor off. Could be why theres no wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 AM

My Photos: (8)
Welcome to the world of hot rodding Diesel trucks!! The above answers are most likely correct as to the reason for the hole. The probe is normally a NPT thread 1/8 ", this is a tapered thread. If you see no signs of wires near the location I suspect the probe was removed. The proper plug for the hole would be a 1/8' NTP plug (LOWES, NAPA, ect will have them). Hopefully The threads are still good and all you need to do is throw in a plug. It would not hurt to pick a tap and run it through before you put in the plug. Hopefully the previous owner did not try to stick a regular bolt in the hole and screw up the threads. You should consider some gauges (boost, EGT, tranny temp) if you are going to start modding you truck. Avoid any programing that touts "rolling coal" this is just a crappy program with improper fuel air mixture.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Just to clarify, there was not a tuner when I purchased the truck. The leak was not there for a long time so assume there was a plug. I will say that the hole diameter is definitely larger than 1/8” npt. I will measure when I get home. The gentleman that owned the truck before me bought it new and kept impeccable service records. I just missed the transmission rebuild when I glanced through them. He passed away and I bought it from his daughter for $4k and she had never driven it. No one I know or that has actuall looked at it has ever seen that hole before. That is why I am asking. Thank you for your comments so far. I just wanted to clarify those couple of things.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Mystery hole

I agree with the others, it most likely where a pyrometers threaded male end was inserted into the exhaust gas stream. That is typically a small stubby looking insert with wires coming out of it, the sensor threads into the exhaust and the wires are connected to a gage. Often the wires from an aftermarket sensor to gage are not adjustable in length, a sensor - gage calibration issue. So if you don't have a bunch of wires under there or in the cab then someone pulled the pyrometer system. They could have plugged the exhaust hole or just abandoned the sensor in place and either blew out. If there are threads you are good, just put some never sieze (Copper Blend high temp) on a plug. No threads, make some, maybe go up a size. If you do drill and tap anything into the exhaust use a magnet on a stick to get any shavings out before you plug her up. You don't want any shavings going through your turbo.

2002 F250 7.3L PSD, bought new now at 226K miles, 4R100 Auto, Crew Cab, Short Bed, ITP Regulated Fuel Return system, ITP head to head SS oil cross over, Hutch in tank mod
Harpoon de tank vent, DIESELSITE Dahl 100 Pre-Pump Fuel Filter, DIESELSITE Return Fuel Line Cooler, DIESELSITE Engine Coolant Filter, DIESELSITE Auxilliary Transmission Cooler, DIESELSITE Gage Package, Pyro, Trans & Boost, Extreme Diesel AD injectors, Ford AIS Air Filter System, BTM straight through muffler, Moog Ball Joints, Rancho Shocks, Rotella ELC Coolant ,Stock Engine Program
Modified for I-Pod Connection
We b playing Scotland The Brave to Jimmy Hendrix
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The hole may or may not be threaded, there are clamp on thermocouples that will go into the hole and then are held in place with a band clamp.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 11:34 PM

My Photos: (19)
I agree with bugman. I had a clamp-on thermocouple on my 94. It used the force of the clamp with a soft metal gasket to seal it against the manifold surface. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3” DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone one that chimed in. I am going to clean the hole and see if the threads are okay. If not I will go up a size and plug it up. I purchased the Edge tuner pictured below and have to have it reflashed to remove the shift program due to the shift kit after the transmission was rebuilt. I will be adding the Exhaust Gas temp sensor to the system so I am hoping I don't have to go up a size. Thanks again. I will be on here a lot in the near future because I want to do some major performance upgrades over the next few months and I am new to this.
Attached Images

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM

You can always Bush it down, if you have to.
Personally I like the threaded versions better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 12:05 PM

My Photos: (8)
Using a reducer bushing if needed is a great ideal. Be careful trying to hot rod a truck older truck with high mileage. Lots of parts between the gas pedal and the tire that have to hold up to all the extra power.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in