What holds the spare tire up?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What holds the spare tire up??

I purchased my 97 with no spare tire. I recently bought me a junk yard wheel and put a tire on it and now want to mount it underneath but there isn't anything there to mount to, just a thin sheet of metal protecting the tank. I have no problem fabricating something to hold the wheel up in there probably like a Chevy with the metal arm that you unbolt on one side to lower the wheel.

BUT, I'd like to know what the factory set up is like and I don't know a single person who ownes a 97 and don't really want to frequent the car lots or dealerships (time constraints). Guy at the junk yard didn't have one and told me they use a cable that will rust out and drop the wheel going down the road.

No jack either, I assume the jack mounts on the passenger side fender well?

Can someone explain this or have a picture?

1997 F-350 4X4 PSD, 5 speed, SRW, 210K Rides like a bull ~ purrs like a kitten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All that holds the tire up is a tire carrier that swings down after you unscrew a nut far enough to take it off. As far as a cable system they didn't come on the Fords until 99. There use to be a write up where somebody made a H frame and bolted a cable winch from a 99 to raise and lower the tire. If you look hard enough you should be able to find a carrier in the junk yard since they used the same one for years up to the 97's. As far as the jack it mounted on the passenger fender well along with the lug wrench. The jack crank was on top of the radiator support.

Jim

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 02:04 PM

Dealer should have all the parts in stock, not expensive or difficult to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:09 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LMC Truck also has them. Look at the bottom right hand side of the link.

Jim

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:26 PM
S95

I just made one for mine. Used long galvanized bolts that the local electric utility uses for mounting hdwr on poles. that stuff never rusts. i used a piece of sign pole that is sort of a C channel with holes in it, also galvanized. welded a couple of pieces of the c in the middle to go up thru the rim, some tabs on the nuts to hold them from spinning and up it went into the factory holes. been there for years, even on and off a couple times for fuel tank repairs.

good luck

1995 F-250 PSD 4X4 EXTRACAB LONG BOX AUTO
TYMAR FILTER, 4" MBRP STAINLESS TURBO TO TAIL
EOT MOD FOR COLD STARTS
CUSTOM RUNNING BOARDS
SD STARTER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STANDENS FULL 3 LEAF FRONT SPRINGS
1990 25th Anniversary 5.0 GT
2012 F150 4X4 supercab longbox HDPKG 5.0
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 AM
AlH

Believe it or not back then the spare tire and/or carrier was an OPTION. When I ordered my 96 you could get nothing (standard) or a carrier with no spare tire/wheel or the whole works.

96 F350 CrewCab BTS-E4OD 4.10 4x4 / Banks Git-Kit / 99-Intercooler / 00 FourWheelCamper Pop-up
2015 Transit T350HD 3.2D- totalled- replaced with 2018 Transit T350HD 3.5 GTDI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlH View Post
Believe it or not back then the spare tire and/or carrier was an OPTION. When I ordered my 96 you could get nothing (standard) or a carrier with no spare tire/wheel or the whole works.
I took door #2....carrier & a bare wheel. It was just stupid what FMC thought that fifth tire was worth!

Denny
'96 F-250 Reg. Cab 4X4 5-sp POWERSTROKE
298,500 mi & NO Problems, LUK Clutch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM

I just got mine mounted underneath a couple weeks ago. I got everything off a 95 F-150 and it fits perfectly. The plastic center piece that holds the rim to the arm is made for both 1/2 ton and our rims. There's holes in the frame for where the "nuts" go (like a big body nut). You'll be able to see where when you hold everything up.

1997 F-250 Supercab PSD 4x4 ZF 4.10 161K
1995 F-150 Supercab 5.0 4x4 M5OD 3L55 236K

Last edited by brown 4x4; 04-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, I started fabing a holder like in the link from Bugman but ran out of time so it's one of those jobs in limbo for now. Thought about mounting onto headache rack too.

Thanks for the replies

1997 F-350 4X4 PSD, 5 speed, SRW, 210K Rides like a bull ~ purrs like a kitten.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in