2015 Ford Transit 3.2L PowerStroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Transit Diesel Technical discussion of Ford's new Transit Van powered by a diesel engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2015 Ford Transit 3.2L PowerStroke

So I spent 10 hours driving yesterday and another 4 running around on the Oregon coast picking up our BRAND NEW VAN!!!!

It is a 2015 Ford Transit LWB EL HR DRW

That means it's the Long Wheel Base Extra Long High Roof Dual Rear Wheels.

I will attach some pictures and a link to my photobucket album. Ask any questions that you want about it and I'll try to answer them.

We drove it back home yesterday 263.8 miles and put in 15.24 gallons of fuel. That only comes out to 17.31 MPG. The salesman said he topped it off, but the MTE said 370(ish). When I filled it up, it said 442. So he didn't fill it up which just ruined our calculations. taking a wild guess and saying that we were three gallons short of full would put us at 21.5 MPG. But we won't know.

The thing about that trip is that it is about the worst case scenario for us. I didn't note the miles, but the first 80-90 was hilly, windy roads with lots of slow downs for little towns. That section, the cluster told us we were getting 18.8 MPG. Then we hit the valley floor with smooth driving and relatively straight roads and it climbed to 19.3. Then the boss started driving and it went down to 18.0. OK, we were climbing into mountains on twisty roads gaining almost 4000 feet elevation, but I can always hold that over his head.

After we got over the hill, it flattens out and straightens out and we ended up at 18.8 MPG on the cluster. The numbers are irrelevant to me, but I was really surprised at the difference between the twisty roads and the straight roads.

Anyway, we have to make this ADA compliant so we are shuffling around some seating to make room for wheel chairs. That stuff is shown in the pictures if you are interested and I took lots of pictures of stuff that I noticed related to the engine and the emissions.

I wasn't really comfortable pushing the van through the twisties because: A. It's a big van at 22 feet long and I don't know how high. B. It's a new to me rig and 3. I'm not a great driver in that situation.

I have so much stuff to do to get this thing ready. I talked to the dealer here and asked them what oil goes in the rear axle and they don't have any service information on this thing at all yet. Hope it doesn't break down.

The route it will be on is about 120,000 miles and it will run every day that it can, but if we have too many passengers, we will take a bigger bus. The buses that are on it run about 10 MPG. You do the math.

So there are a few pictures:

Meet Moby, the white whale.

The rear two seats will come out. The two-seat in the center was from the left, far rear but the wheel chair will go there. It's a bit narrower seat so I put that one in the middle for more hip room. The front row was three seats, but just to get in the back required a Yoga move, so I moved the two-seater from the center forward so now its easy access all the way back. We lost a few seats, but knowing our ridership, this will be fine.

DOC right off of the turbo.

The worlds ugliest rims.

Tailpipe clean enough to eat from. In fact, I put my leftover pizza in there and ran it to heat it up.

DPF.

Apparently in South Africa where the engine is built, they don't have a rust problem, so they don't paint engine blocks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

I have half of the flooring pulled up, most of the side panels pulled off and a bunch of the heater ducts located and the rear HVAC system located. I took pictures of stuff and included it in my photobucket folder located HERE.

If you have questions, ask away while I have it apart.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Some dislikes so far:

It was ordered with the cheapest flooring possible but the edges of it all are very poor. The front 2/3 of the flooring is one piece and that's fine, but the back section is a different piece and there is a transition near the wheel wells and the edges around there are pulling up and the cuts around the wheel wells are not very accurate at all. some places there are gaps, some places it bunches up to the wheel well.

Also the driver and front passenger arm rests are very narrow. I didn't throw a tape on them but I am guessing that they are about an inch and a half wide, two inches tops.

If you order one, don't get the base radio. Sure, it works, but upgrading would be a major pain.

There are two single seat jump seats on the right side and they bolt down. the seat that is at the wheel well has bolt on top of the wheel well that has to be removed, then the two release latches need to be released.

The multiple seat benches all have release latches, but only the two at the very back came with handles to release them. None of the others have handles, but a handle is easy to install with just the plastic grab part and a single roll pin. But to pull the roll pin you have to get the latch open and jam something in there while you drive out the roll pin.

There are side panels at calf height that can come out by pulling the clips, but the clips that you can see aren't all of the clips. There are some covered up by trim panels above them so you have to pull those as well. Basically in order to access the back side of things to run wires, it's best to just pull all of the seats and pull everything apart.

We will have an inverter in there and four 110 outlets so we will run it up through a pillar and across to the other side. We could have run it outside of the pillar, but there was no good, reliable way to work around the side curtain airbags.

The flooring is just over an 1 1/4 inches above the high ribs on the floor and almost 2 inches above the low ribs of the floor.

Included in my photobucket pictures is some general locations of the heating ducts under the floor. I read someplace that the floor is 4 inches higher in the wagon than the cargo vans, but that is BS. The floor is 1 1/4 inches higher.

Tomorrow, I will go out with my tape measure and get some measurements that I didn't find online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

So far I had an electrician customer of mine install the four outlets. One between the two jump seats on the right and three on the left wall between the seats. He was able to mount them flush so they should get kicked off the wall.

I am in the process of installing an inverter. I took the 2000 Watt one out of the old bus and it will go in this one. There is a stud on the left side of the seat base that is a fused 60 amp. This will provide power to the inverter. There is a ground point on the floor between the seats and this will be the ground point. There is a six pin connector under the drivers seat (which is where the batteries are) that provides an engine run grounding signal. I will use this for the ground side of a relay so that the inverter will only be on when the engine is running.

I have been cutting holes in the flooring so that I can mount wheelchair tie-downs. It is tricky getting them between the seat rails, the heater ducts and the frame rails. I have only cut the heater duct once so far. Ultra Black is my friend here.

I also have to mount a folding two-seat in the rear. This will allow us two seats that will fold up in the unlikely event we have a wheelchair passenger.

Lastly, I have to build a rack for the ramps for said unlikely wheelchair passenger. This will be on the Right side and will straddle the hydraulic jack.

But first, (Or in conjunction with) I have two F650s that need some serious attention. I am hoping to get it done by the first of the year.

Oh yeah. We will be having a Deer killer mounted on the front somehow as well.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:47 AM

My Photos: (0)
3.2 diesel vs. 3.5L Eco-Boost

I am new to this forum. Wondering about the best engine choice between 3.2L Powerstroke or 3.5 L eco-boost in new Ford Transit Van. This is a work van that will be used 80000 miles per year. Cost of future engine replacements and availability of replacement parts? Fuels costs are a major factor in my decision.

My typical loads are 2000# or less - however I need 9500 GVWR to qualify for some good large loads. Most of the miles will be highway and I want to be able to run this new Transit Van 10 years.

My current 2004 E350 van v10 6.8 has 813000 miles and burns a quart of oil per 1000 miles - time to replace. (heads and pan never off)

Comments appreciated
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Richard, I don't have any numbers right now, but my guess is that you would pay for this van in 4-5 years in fuel savings alone with the 3.2. Add in the savings in engine oil, and you have a winner. Will parts be cheap? Nothing is cheap anymore.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 PM

My Photos: (1)
813K on a V10. That even digs a hole a 7.3 can't get out of. What MPG with that?

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

Our old 7.3 was at 612,000 when we sold it. The engine was running strong, but the rest of the rig was falling apart.

Our Duramaxes are over 700,000 and have never had major problems in the past 400,000 miles that we have owned them.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 09:54 AM

I typically get 14-15 mpg's.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2212 View Post
I am new to this forum. Wondering about the best engine choice between 3.2L Powerstroke or 3.5 L eco-boost in new Ford Transit Van. This is a work van that will be used 80000 miles per year. Cost of future engine replacements and availability of replacement parts? Fuels costs are a major factor in my decision.

My typical loads are 2000# or less - however I need 9500 GVWR to qualify for some good large loads. Most of the miles will be highway and I want to be able to run this new Transit Van 10 years.

My current 2004 E350 van v10 6.8 has 813000 miles and burns a quart of oil per 1000 miles - time to replace. (heads and pan never off)

Comments appreciated

I believe that the 3.2 PSD would serve you needs well. Plenty of power and should be up to the task. The only issue would be how well the DPF on this engine works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.3 Power Stroke Diesel, 4R100, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Ford AIC, Motorcraft Air Induction System,
DP-Tuned, AIH Deleted, EBPV Deleted, Bellowed Up-Pipes, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Timbren Overloads, Husky Mudflaps, Hella 700FF Driving Lights, Autometer Gauges

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The only issue would be how well the DPF on this engine works.
Jimmy, can you elaborate on this? Is there something that you have heard, or is it just a guess?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Well, I have been trying to get this old girl fully set-up for work. So far, I have the wheelchair tie-downs bolted in but there are gapeing holes over them so I have to do something with that. I also have to do something about the holes from the seats that I have removed or changed.

The fold down seat is in the back and I have the rack for the ramp built and painted, I just need to get some rubber on the rack, then bolt it in.

Last Friday, I had to drive it full of passengers over to the Willamette Valley. Nine passengers, up about 600 ft. elevation, then down about 4000 feet. I came back empty and filled it up. 19.75 MPG hand calculated.

It's regular route will be less than 1000 ft elevation change overall and rarely will have more than 8 passengers, so I am expecting 21-22 MPG IF the drivers don't let it sit and warm up for half an hour.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

So, far, I would bet that we are getting over 20 MPG while driving. The problem is that the drivers can't get it through their heads that this van warms up very quickly when driven, but very slowly when idling so they just let it sit and idle to warm up. There is also the factor that I can't control which is on the other end of their route. They have passengers and sometimes they have to wait for hours for the train to show up and since they are required to allow passengers to wait on the bus, they end up idling ALOT.

The hot idling I can live with even though it destroys fuel mileage. The part that really gets my goat is the warm-up idling. So many bad things happen when cold idling a Diesel that I need to do something on this end. I am thinking of a block heater just so they will have one less thing to whine about.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 08:50 PM

Anyone out there have issues with their 3.2l power stroke running in cold weather? I've had mine towed 4 times due to blocked fuel filter, even though i was putting in anti gel additive.
Fuel mileage not so good 17 to 18 mpg after 10K miles, others with gas engine Transits are getting as good or better and saving $6K.
What is going on???
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

None that I know of. How cold has it been? We haven't had much of a winter and the coldest we have seen is mid teens. I put in some PowerService Winter formula even though the fuel is winterized to about -15. Carrying passengers we can't take the risk.

We have had zero issues for anything on our van and we are at about 25,000 miles now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Transit Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in