Cold weather starting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Transit Diesel Technical discussion of Ford's new Transit Van powered by a diesel engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold weather starting

new 3.2 owner, here, in my rv,

so the units been sitting for a long while - been fall now into winter up north along lake erie.

so happy holidays, thought id like to run the engine for a bit this past weekend but now we're in the single digits, and

fuel currently does not have anti gel in it, it does have sea foam,

what would be the proceedure to start it up in this environment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Be sure the batteries are fully charged (put a charger on them if unsure).
If the Transit Diesel has glow plugs, be sure that system works as well. Turn the key on and check voltage at the output terminal of the glow plug relay. Should be just a few volts below battery voltage. The transit probably has an electronic relay for glow plugs that monitors them so that may not be necessary.
Drain the fuel filter bowl and fill it with sea-foam and put some PowerService 911 additive in the fuel tank. That should take care of the possibility that it has summer fuel in it. If you know you filled up during cold weather, then you could omit that step, but it can't hurt even if you have winter fuel on board.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:54 PM

My Photos: (8)
If you can get in a heated shop that would be the best thing to do. Get it up to temp add anti jell to the tank and just start it. Even putting a heat lamp on the fuel filter would help a lot if it is out in the cold. I would add anti jell to the tank no mater what.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:11 AM

To further clarify the role of Power Service Diesel-911:

"Diesel 911 is a winter emergency use product. This Winter Rescue Formula reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters to restore the flow of diesel fuel to an engine. Diesel 911 does not prevent fuel gelling – use Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost (in the white bottle) as a preventive measure to keep fuel from gelling. Diesel 911 and Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost are compatible in diesel fuel and may be used at the same time."

Read the instructions here: http://powerservice.com/wp-content/u...B-8000_HR1.pdf

To Reliquefy Gelled Diesel Fuel
During cold weather operation, diesel fuel that has not been treated with Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement® +Cetane Boost® can change from a liquid to a solid. This transformation is called gelling.
To reliquefy gelled diesel fuel:
1. Add 80 ounces of Diesel 911 to each 100 gallons of fuel in equipment tanks.
2. Remove fuel-filters.
3. Fill fuel-filters with 50% Diesel 911 and 50% diesel fuel.
4. Reinstall fuel-filters.
5. Start engine — let idle to warm up fuel system before resuming normal operation.
6. Add Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost as directed to prevent further gelling. (White Bottle).

If you have a 120v block heater that can be plugged in then you can possibly just add the Power Service White bottle to the fuel and it will start right up without the mess of opening the fuel bowl.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:34 AM

BTW, how full is your fuel tank now?

And FWIW, there are diesel fuel additives today that are far superior to the old practice of Sea Foam. Sea Foam was left over from an era prior to ULSD. Lab tests over on BITOG show it lacks lubricity qualities. It also has a pretty high percentage of alcohol which is why it can help remove ice from your frozen fuel bowl as per KLHanson's suggestion above . The best approximation of ingredients I have found are SeaFoam contains light hydrocarbon oil, petroleum naptha and isopropyl alcohol. Its a decent solvent for cleaning an older engine but for your 3.2 PSD, there are much better products available.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-26-2017 at 03:42 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:36 AM

You can find Diesel-911 and other Power Service products at Wal-Mart.

SOLD:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

well i bought some 911, and poured it and some anti gel, in the tank, waited an hour or so, turned key on half way, waited a few minutes and gave it a shot,

****, it fired right up!!! no problems at all, i ran it about 15 minutes, backed up and pulled forward a few times to mix it up.

it was 15 degrees outside,

new question; so how low a temp is the diesel good to, with anti gelling and 911 in it.? and if i dont need to use the truck show i just let it sit and wait for more moderate temps ( 30' and up) to run it?

it sits covered but not heated during the winter,

thanks for the info yesterday fellas,
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 05:35 PM

I don't know that its possible to say what cold temperature the fuel will risk gelling at since that is dependent on the batch of diesel fuel mixed at the refinery and your region of the country.

What brand of anti-gel and how much did you add? If you used the Power Service in the white bottle and added the recommended ratio then I am just going to hazard a guess it will not gel until temps drop below 0*F amd maybe as much as (-10*)F.

If your fuel tank is down to 3/4 full or less then you could top up with some fresh diesel and this would lower the gel point...plus it would help prevent moisture accumulation from condensation while it sits for extended periods.

Do you have a 120v block heater that you are able to plug in before starting?

Even if your fuel gels in frigid temps while stored, the fuel will return to a liquid once the temperatures warm up.

SOLD:

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-28-2017 at 03:04 AM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

yes i used the recommended amouts, for my size tank 25 g,

I guess i will look into some sort of heating apparatus,

does def fluid need anything to protect it?

i guess the rv will just sit dormant a few weeks or months every year if needs be,
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Iirc, most def is good to 14 degrees.
Below that, it will freeze.
Some mentioned to make sure you don't overfill it, and you should be fine. It will still freeze and expand.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 07:15 PM

My Photos: (8)
You need to look at the manual for you rig. Does you def tank already have a heater it? The freeze thaw won't hurt the DFE just don't over fill. Diesel fuel is blended for the local temps that it will see. If you fill up in Sept just make sure you add anti-jell if you are not going to drive it for a while. Our local temps run 0-30 degrees most of the winter. If we get a -30 week or I travel North -56 last year I just filled with local fuel from that area and added anti-jell as extra protection. I would not park a diesel just because of cold.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luther56 View Post
yes i used the recommended amouts, for my size tank 25 g,

I guess i will look into some sort of heating apparatus,

does def fluid need anything to protect it?

i guess the rv will just sit dormant a few weeks or months every year if needs be,
I may have misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to know what temp your current tank of diesel was rated to before it gels. The tank you filled in the Fall.

If you are just wondering how cold it can be for diesel fuel to still flow and not gel then the answer is quite different as Denny has indicated.

There is no reason you need to park a diesel RV in the winter.

The trick would simply be to not top the tank in the early Fall but fill up once winter cold temps are arriving. This will assure you the fuel you are buying has been properly blended for the cold weather.

The refinery does more than just additize the diesel for the cold. They actually adjust the feed stocks of the various crude oils to bring down the fuels natural paraffins AND they additize it with a commercial product similar to Power Service white bottle.

So a winter fuel with power service will flow at colder temps than a Fall fuel with Power Service.

During summer you can switch to a silver bottle Power Service.

As for a block heater, there will be one designed for your 3.2
And I am surprised it would not have one already installed.

SOLD:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:34 AM

From a Ford statement:

The block heater is an option [on the 3.2] and must be ordered when needed. An engine block heater is recommended when minimum temperature is -12 °C (10 °F) or below.

PM sent to you.

SOLD:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Transit Diesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in