1997 F250 PS 4x4 Dana 60 Swap - BRAKE PROBLEMS - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 F250 PS 4x4 Dana 60 Swap - BRAKE PROBLEMS

Ok, calling all Dana 60 experts.......... Here's my issue. I have a 1997 F250HD PS 4wd Ext Cab. 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" tires. After eating through ball joints and bushings on the TTB D50 twice, I decided to put in a D60 solid axle. I acquired one from a 1994 F350. Had it rebuilt professionally, regeared to match the rear end, new everything..............except the knuckles. The original 97' knuckles are different and therefore the calipers wouldn't fit on the D60. So I just used the D60 pin type calipers and rotors. Basically, I bolted on the entire 1994 F350 D60 assembly; rotors, calipers and all, onto my 97' F250. I put on new calipers (94 F350 calipers and brake pads). After getting it all installed, everything fit great, bolted right up, but..............my braking SUCKS. My pedal goes all the way to the floor and it barely stops. Went through a gallon and a half of new brake fluid bleeding the brakes and purging the system. My questions are these:

1) Anyone know of any issues with using the 94' F350 Calipers with the original F250 master cylinder?
2) If I have to, will the knuckles from my 97' D50 TTB fit on the 94' D60 so I can go back with my original rotors and calipers?

Any suggestions, advice, insight, help, prayers, and/or ALL of the above would be greatly GREATLY appreciated.

jrgrtx
USMC
Sempr Fi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Red face

All fixed everyone. It was the rear brakes. I did a complete rear brake job while changing out the front end and completely forgot to adjust the rear brake adjusters. Once adjusted, it all works awesome.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Never dismiss the simple stuff- it gets me every time!

'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Rotella 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Cooper ST Maxx tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 194K Fresh factory injectors at 186K, TS-6 chip. Dana 60 conversion! "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"

'12 F150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.0L, Lariat, 146K, "Race Red" and no speeding tickets yet...

1996 Bronco, last of the line! XLT, 5.8L, 160K and going strong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:08 PM

Brake issues

I found this thread while searching for someone that had the same experience as I have. I did an axle swap from a 1996 for f250 4x4 CC SB, over to a Dana 60. I was told that it was also from a 1996 F250 dually. The swap was...ok. I was able to use my TTB rotors with a little massaging. The TTB rotor was about 5mm larger diameter than the Dana 60. I bought new rotors and calipers and pads, but I had to get a 1994 clip system, so I don't think the one I put into my truck was actually a 1996.
Anyway, it all bolted up fine and seems to work. However, I do not have near the breaking power I did before. I really noticed when I towed my boat this weekend.

Other things to consider:
I put an addition 5" lift with Revers Shackle kit and drop hangers when I did the swap. I have a total of 8 to 9" or so of lift now. I went from 35" tires to 38.5" tires.
I also converted to disc brakes in the rear a few years ago.
New extended SS lines installed with the lift.

So, brakes are bled well, not spongy, in fact, they seem a little "hard". I don't think I could lock the brakes up if I really stepped on them.

Anyone experience brake degradation after lift and larger tires...and maybe with the disc conversion in the back?
Do I need to go to the fancy aftermarket brakes?
New master cylinder?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before and after truck.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	127484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Two tone test.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	127486  

'96 F250 4x4 Crew Cab SB
Chipped
Stage 1 Injectors
4" straight pipe
8" lift on 38.5" tires
Rear disc brake conversion
Still in progress...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in