1997 F350 7.3L OBS PSD Reliability Mods - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dugas509

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 F350 7.3L OBS PSD Reliability Mods

I've been a Ford boy since i was a lil kid. I'm going from a 1999 7.3 to a 2011 6.7 back to a 97 7.3. I need some help on recommended mods and tips to look out for when going back in order. Lol, some peeps want to go to a 2017 F350 which I have debated heavily on but instead of tossing 30k on a 2017 70k truck.. I'm simply dropping 25k on a 1997 OBS with 85k miles. Let me of common problem areas and also the normal daily driver mods needed so i dont regret getting that dealer warranty by getting this next truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 PM

If I'm dropping $25k on a truck, it damn well won't be over 10 years old. I don't care how well of shape it's in. That's about 5 times blue book.
Of it truly is only 85k miles, I'll bet it needs some seals replaced.
Far as your actual question, nothing different than the 99. But like I said above, things don't like to sit dormant. Especially diesels.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM

OBSFanatic, welcome to our little family of OBS Fanatics!

I've only got 75K on my '96 because it's only been used for pulling a travel trailer and hauling miscellaneous stuff since I bought it new in '96. There's often been months between usage, and so far, so good. The only things I've had to replace on it are tires, batteries, a water pump and radiator. So far, it's been so good with my low-mileage baby.

Mine is basically stock except mostly for replacing the cobra-head exhaust down pipe with a 3-inch straight one, replacing the problematic stock air filter housing with a Tymar truck air filter, and adding a couple of additional fuel filters and a small fuel pump on the frame rails to get added water-and-sediment filtration into the fuel system. I did these to assure my baby has clean air, clean fuel and a clean exhaust.

Best of luck with your new-found treasure. She'll serve you well. The depreciation on a new truck will equal your purchase price in a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 08:41 PM

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
Mine is basically stock except mostly for replacing the cobra-head exhaust down pipe with a 3-inch straight one, replacing the problematic stock air filter housing with a Tymar truck air filter,.
I would recommend this also, as I have done the same. The factory downpipes looks like a beer can someone has stepped on. After putting the Tymar filter kit on you will really hear your turbo sing. Carry a spare Cam Position Sensor (CPS) with you, and change your fuel filter every fall, this is were your fuel will first start to gel, if you have gelling problems. Then carry a spare fuel filter and a bottle of Rescue 911 with you.

The 7.3 in the OBS is under powered and over built as it is a real truck motor. IF you keep it stock it already is bullet proof. It will last longer then the 2017 with all of its expensive electronics and pollution control B.S. I have been told the 6.7 liter motor is a throw-away 150,000 mile motor.

'95 F250 PSD, 350,000 miles, 4x4, XLT, Supper Cab, long box, E4OD by BTS & B&M tranny cooler, 4:10, add a leaf front/1.5" rearched spings rear, Hypermax DP, tymark intake. Cobra Nightstalker 29 CB mounted inplace of the ashtray, Tekonsha Prodigy, Nippen Dennso gear reduction starter (this thing is awsome). Pulling a 37 bumper hitch toy hauler. New injectors @ 335,000 Best mod: the U.S. flag in the back window done pre 9/11.

User name- Studhauler, given to me becasue my dog Studly (R.I.P. Jan/09) was always riding in the box.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

See its those types of responses that Im thankful for! Just a few "heads up" type of comments is why I appreciate forums like this. Thanks yall who posted. Any more responses are totally welcome and appreciated!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM

@Jasper79 Different strokes for different folks. I have people stop me daily to compliment my truck or try to buy it. Its a classic where as the newer styles are more common and some what blase'(opinion only).

@OBSFanatic I wouldn't be worried about the seals. You can see my signature for mods on my truck. The only thing i have had to repair is the starter, transmission (good ol' E40D) and i'm about due for a front end rebuild. Other than that my truck has over 260K and runs strong. I have taken it as far north as West Virginia to the top of the mountains in winter and down to Key West in the heat of the summer without a problem. Even drove across 2 states last week with about 10k of tile on a 2k trailer, running between 80-87 the majority of the time and I could not have asked for it to be better.

If you are down South you don't have to worry about the fuel gelling thing. Knock on wood I have never had to replace a CPS. To me the stock air box and transmission is the biggest week point.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM

My 1997 is totally stock, including the air filter. In 125,000 miles I've replaced the batteries a couple times, glow plugs once, threw out the fuel filter heater after it failed, one glow plug relay clear back when nearly new, new water pump last summer, rebuilt the alternator myself once. Ford replaced the stupid E4OD at 7000 miles. I believe that is pretty much everything. Other than reluctantly accepting the stupid E4OD transmission, which was a big mistake, I still love the truck.

Fred 1997 Queens, NY
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:40 PM

I work on all types of diesels ford,gm,dodge, cat... it 6.7s arenít that bad if you run them like they should be run, if your just daily driving, no towing no weight, short trips get a gasser.. if your putting it to work the 6.7 is a strong engine lots of power and lots of engines we fleet work on a tow company that owns all f650s and up and they have tons of miles but with the maintence done... none have had any major issues at all and most well over 150k not a throw away engine the 6.4 is a throw away I owned one got 167 out of it.. and it blew went back to my good old 95 7.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 F-450 6.4PSD, S&B Intake, 100 Gallon External Fuel Tank. More To Come Soon....

91 Mustang GT, 306 Custom Build By Self, With A Lot Of Crap And A Vortech S-Trim But Who Wants To Hear About This Its A Diesel Site!!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 08:04 PM

ok so i here u when ur talking about standard mods without loosing reliability. Get a down pipe and full exhaust no muffler. get a b&m air intake. cant do one without the other. Optional; banks intercooler or 2nd gen 7.3 intercooler. very good for utalizing fuel correctly and keeps egts down when towing. those alone will dramatically help a fully stock obs powerstroke., Yet you will want more after they all do. I added the banks quick spool with a ww2. love the whisle it makes at higher rpm. youll go from 12lb boos to 25lbs boost just from all that. U can buy a tuner, "chip" for your truck and bottom line youll love it. I drive mine as a daily and as my hauler. you aint gunna out do the new Fords but youll sound better and get respect everywhere u go with peace of mind your not gunna hurt your motor. Oh and youll want to get a set of guages to watch all your temps. egt, tranny, boost.....ect the roads your playground and you only are out the pocket a few grand, and the obs will now run properly. not held back. always change your oil and fuel filter proper maintenence will make it last for ever. Never sure how long one of those trannies will give on ya. mne gave at 200000 mile exatly. rebuilt it to sustain high hp just incase i built it up crazy.
JDawg965 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugas509 View Post
ok so i here u when ur talking about standard mods without loosing reliability. Get a down pipe and full exhaust no muffler. get a b&m air intake. cant do one without the other. Optional; banks intercooler or 2nd gen 7.3 intercooler. very good for utalizing fuel correctly and keeps egts down when towing. those alone will dramatically help a fully stock obs powerstroke., Yet you will want more after they all do. I added the banks quick spool with a ww2. love the whisle it makes at higher rpm. youll go from 12lb boos to 25lbs boost just from all that. U can buy a tuner, "chip" for your truck and bottom line youll love it. I drive mine as a daily and as my hauler. you aint gunna out do the new Fords but youll sound better and get respect everywhere u go with peace of mind your not gunna hurt your motor. Oh and youll want to get a set of guages to watch all your temps. egt, tranny, boost.....ect the roads your playground and you only are out the pocket a few grand, and the obs will now run properly. not held back. always change your oil and fuel filter proper maintenence will make it last for ever. Never sure how long one of those trannies will give on ya. mne gave at 200000 mile exatly. rebuilt it to sustain high hp just incase i built it up crazy.

I agree with all that my Tranny gave me right around 300,000... almost exactly, gauges are a must for the mods especially trans temp you wanna watch that along with the EGTs... i had it rebuilt with hp parts as well I love it. Just wish I had another gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 F-450 6.4PSD, S&B Intake, 100 Gallon External Fuel Tank. More To Come Soon....

91 Mustang GT, 306 Custom Build By Self, With A Lot Of Crap And A Vortech S-Trim But Who Wants To Hear About This Its A Diesel Site!!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 02:31 PM

what gears do you have? im stuck with 3.55's which more ponies will counter act the highway gears i think. mine cruises good at 70 but if u want to pass uphill remotly quick i hit the od off but my rpm spike but itll take off. i would love to change to 3.73's.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM

grats on the obs!!!

get some coolant strips and check your ECL levels ASAP... most ppl neglect to maintain them for the OBS

-'97 F250HD 4x4 7.3-
-'99 Cobra 426w-
-'76 LS408 Stingray-
-'93 302 Camaro on the juice-
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmalee View Post
grats on the obs!!!

get some coolant strips and check your ECL levels ASAP... most ppl neglect to maintain them for the OBS
But how often have you seen a failure from cavitation in a OBS powerstroke?

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
But how often have you seen a failure from cavitation in a OBS powerstroke?

hmmm... I remember my sister had a 96 7.3 DRW that they pulled their AQHA horses with, let loose at 320ish? coolant in 7 and 8... that's my only personal encounter with one.

Car manufacturers recommend changing your oil at certain intervals, you follow those guidelines, why skimp on something just as important... the 7.3 is a long lasting engine if maintained correctly, why would I want to cut it's life short by being lazy and not checking my DCA strips twice a year, the additives are WAY cheaper than an oil change... I'm not seeing the problem, sorry.

-'97 F250HD 4x4 7.3-
-'99 Cobra 426w-
-'76 LS408 Stingray-
-'93 302 Camaro on the juice-
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:46 PM

Good choice ya cant beat the 7.3 i don't care what anyone says. Besides id rather put money into an older truck, make it look new and be able to say I did all the work. Rather then spend the crazy amount of money for a newer diesel and have to deal with the emissions BS. If you don't work the truck at all the egr system and DPF just get clogged faster than anything. Last time i worked on a 6.7 was because the owner put DEF into the fuel tank fun times! entire fuel system was replaced. But anyway back to the good OLD stuff. I would recommend on top of what others have said, drop your fuel tanks to remove and inspect your pickup/sending unit assembly. They tend to rot on the bottom after a long time giving you the 1/4 tank issue where the truck dies due to fuel loss. I put new tanks and sending units on my 94 f350 for under $350 if i remember right. Fuel tanks were from rock auto and the sending units I got from t-rex auto parts.

let us see how she turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in