'97 F250 pyrometer? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'97 F250 pyrometer?

Hey guys, took a quick look around but couldn't find anything on pyrometer's. Just curious on what is to hot and when I need to back off before something bad happens. Got the 7.3 powerstroke, just put some stage 1.5 injectors and a TS 6 position chip in it. Before the upgrades the hottest it would get was 13 and that was really workin her pretty hard. This morning I had about 8500lbs behind me and as soon as I started climbing it would get up to 14 and still goin. Pyrometer only goes to 15.5 so I would back off ever time it got to 14. Cruisin at 65 on flat it stays about 8.5-9. Just wondering what temp I need to start worrying about damage and where it should be at? The sensor is screwed in on the driver side manifold. It was already installed when I got the truck. Is that a good spot for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 01:41 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I wouldn't run anything over 1200 for very long and try to keep it under 1100.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Is there any other way to help keep that cool other then just backin off the throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:08 PM

My Photos: (2)
Innercooler. Good tunes, keep the rpms up.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:44 PM

My Photos: (4)
The problem with running the pyro probe in the manifold is that if the tip ever broke off it would end up going through your turbo. Besides that it is only reading one bank and isnt as accurate. With that said i know alot of guys run it there and have no problems. As for keeping it cool if you have already done intake, downpipe and exhaust your next step should be an intercooler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 7.3 IDI turbo - ZF5 4x4 - 4.10's - Reg Cab w/Bradford Built flatbed - Full Ranch Hand Grille Guard - Garret swapped for Banks Sidewinder - 3.5in strait pipe - Autometer C2's in the pillar: Pyro, Boost, Trans - Manual high idle mod - Dana 60 swap plus add a leaf in front, 4in f350 blocks in back
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

235K plus miles

F350 7.3 Powerstroke - ZF5 4x4 - 4.10's - Crew/Long - Full Ranch Hand Grille Guard - Autometer C2's in the pillar: Pyro, Boost, Fuel Press, Trans - 2in body lift to fit 3.5in downpipe - 4in straight pipe to 6in Miter Cut Stacks - Spectra F26E 38 Gal. Rear Fuel Tank - LUK clutch and SM flywheel - 7.3 Superduty upgrades including: Garret GTP38R Ball Bearing Turbo, pedestal, downpipe, bellowed up pipes, intercooler, intake plenums, and CFM intake spyder - DIY E-fuel with dual remote filters and regulated return @ 68psi - TS 6 Position Chip
264K plus miles - Build date 1/97
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 12:09 AM

You want the pyro pre turbo right where it is.

96 F350 CCLB SRW. 3 in lift. 3 in downpipe, 4 in exhaust, Tymar 6637 intake. Beans chip. Banks intercooler. 37gal bronco rear tank.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody, I think my next step is gonna be an intercooler. Pulled about 9000lbs on a 300 mile trip and the only time I had to slow down from 70mph was climbing a hill or a strong head wind. The temp sensor is plugged into the exhaust manifold if I remember correctly. It's been a while sense I looked at it. I should probably check again haha
One more question for ya. What kinda damage am I lookin at if I run it to hot for to long? It got up to 1400 a few times on my trip but only for 3 or 4 seconds.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 02:27 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your towing and the EGT's start climbing as you go up a grade, try downshifting. It will raise RPM's, move more air and lower EGT's.

I've done this for years, it works good.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 AM

I had the same problem as you, installed Banks Intercooler and now I have not seen over 1250 degrees and that is pulling 37' fifth wheel with 14' trailer behind it through the mountains of Colorado. Best money spent so far.....

1997 F-250 4X4 Powerstroke, ext cab, 3:55 gears, E4OD tranny, DiPricol gauges and 3 pillar pod,Tru-Cool 4739 Max trans cooler, 3" downpipe, Magnaflow 4" Stainless Exhaust, DIY Tymar Air Filter, Banks Intercooler, Edge Programmer, Rotella Synthetic,Mobil-1 synthetic ATF,Warn manual lockouts, ..2012 Sabre 34RLQS fifth wheel.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluckdowg View Post
Thanks everybody, I think my next step is gonna be an intercooler. Pulled about 9000lbs on a 300 mile trip and the only time I had to slow down from 70mph was climbing a hill or a strong head wind. The temp sensor is plugged into the exhaust manifold if I remember correctly. It's been a while sense I looked at it. I should probably check again haha
One more question for ya. What kinda damage am I lookin at if I run it to hot for to long? It got up to 1400 a few times on my trip but only for 3 or 4 seconds.
You didn't do any damage at 1400F for a few seconds. But as noted for the future, keep the EGTs to 1200F max to surely avoid problems.

I watch the pyrometer closely when towing upwards as I don't have an intercooler and it's easy to exceed safe temps. Simply downshifting to give the engine some relief has always worked for me.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 11:31 PM

I've had mine over 1200 for 5-10 minutes at a time on many occasions. People worry about aluminum melting at 1200, but the pistons are not pure aluminum.

It's super easy to exceed 1200 at high altitude and sometimes it's unavoidable, depending on the load.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. She does pretty good. 4th gear can pretty much climb anything except for a couple times on a 8% gread with a pretty strong head wind I had to put it in 3rd. I just hate having to slow down when I've got plenty of power to go just cuz I'm getting to hot.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 AM

Yep, EGTs often determine my speed limit when climbing in the mountains with a tow.

An alternative is to install an intercooler. It's a good upgrade, but it takes up a lot of space under the hood with all the tubing and such. I like the more open engine space to see and work better under there. Also, an intercooler adds another point of failure, with leaks from all the tubing and joints not being uncommon.

I choose to just downshift and/or back off the speed when I'm towing into the sky. It saves a few bucks in fuel, and I can usually keep up with the heavy truckers anyway.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 PM

The benefits of an intercooler FAR outweigh the supposed possible problems. Not installing one because of the possibility of a boost leak??? Really?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in