New Chip? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Chip?

Hey Guys,

I have an 11 year old Superchips tuner/chip installed for that long and was wondering if technology has caught up in that if I were to put in a new/different chip, would there be better performance?? Mine has a maximum upgrade of "110 hp", but that's not anywhere close to reality, at least by my feel.

I've done some searching, and found this interesting looking one, https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...werstroke.aspx but would like to hear from some guys here, if possible, as to what the best chip would be for giving the rig a good kick in the pants.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

0-60 in 20 minutes flat!!!

Last edited by Andyandtherman; 11-08-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You are right on the HP gains. With a stock truck you won't see much more than 40Hp due to fuel flow through the stock injectors.

The best chip out there right now is a PHP Hydra chip with custom tunes. But you still won't see the actual Hp gains that is shown unless you upgrade your injectors.

http://gopowerhungry.com/hydra-chip/

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

So in your opinion, would it just be a lateral move to go with a different chip unless I were to go with bigger injectors?

1995 F350 XLT Regency Conversion 4X4, 7.3L Powerstroke. 38" Nitto Mud Grapplers. 6" Suspension Lift, Front Leveling Kit, Bilstein 5125s, Sulastic Rear Shackle Kit, Superchips Programmer, Intake Kit, Down Pipe, Free Flowing Exhaust, Etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 06:18 PM

From what I have read about Super Chips it will be a upgrade to go with a actual chip that is programed for the vehicle even without larger injectors.

One of the pluses of a actual chip is that you can get a few extras like a high idle, no start, and other setting. Also with the Hydra you can get new tunes for it if you do go with larger injectors

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 03:25 PM

My Photos: (2)
I've heard and repeated 40 horse is max for stock injectors. Then someone told me 80 horse. I don't know. I would guess much more than either of those numbers and you just start throwing more money at broken parts.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I looked at injectors here, https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...section=-1149-

but that's Greek to me as well. Any recommendations there?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 04:56 PM
RT

Stage 1ís if you tow heavy, Stage 1.5ís if you donít. Both will work with stock HPOP and fuel. Those are the highest quality rebuilds available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. How much of gain would I realistically be looking at? What about MPGs? This may be a dumb question, (I'm full of them, especially when it comes to mechanical things) but is there any change to the note of the engine or exhaust with the added fuel? I leave early to open my gym so a guttural roar may not be a good idea

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 03:45 PM

If you go with the stage ones and a chip to run them you might or might not see a mileage gain, it will all depend on how you drive.

As for noise, they should be no nosier than your truck right now. That is as long as you don't change out the exhaust to a more open one.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the great advice, as always! Next step is to get the injectors and the chip. Is there a certain brand or place I should be looking at? I'll be going with the 1.5s as I'm not doing any heavy duty towing at all. I just want a nice smooth power upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in