PCM Flash - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1994-1997 Ford F-Series with Power Stroke engine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool PCM Flash

I was wondering about getting my PCM Flashed with the latest and greatest load... is this a good idea or am I opening a can of worms.
Here are the specifications... I have a 1994 f250 7.3DI 5-SPMT Stock wheels and I believe it has never been reflashed, currently it has 122k on it and I have had only one injector replaced and all the o-rings updated (116K). Yet today I sometimes see a little gray smoke at startup and on cold days. I live in Colordo so the truck is always at or about 6400 feet above sea level. The truck was made in KS city and is a Centurion update Ha Ha. I have installed a Tilman air cleaner and the exhaust pipe is at 3.5" with no muffler. This year I had the gears changed to 3.55 as the 4.10's were a little hard on the milage and the shifting arm. I am now running at or about 18MPG @ 2000rpm 75mph. So what do you think will a PCM flash inprove anything or are we just wasting our time and money on this old 7.3 Thanks for your views...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM

My Photos: (9)
I would get a nice econo or tow tune from Jody. Install guages first however.

95 E350 PSD HD Cargo , BB shim , E4OD , B&M Trans pan , 2 HD coolers , Cat sleeps with the fishes , MAG teck 3:55 D60FF, EBPV Delete , DP 60 Tow , Autometer 3 Guage pod
1977 F350 Dually Dump , 460 , 429 POLICE heads , 4:56 D70FF, Edelbrock Intake , Holley 850 , MSD IGN , Custom C-6 Trans , Dual Exh.
99 F250 XLT 7.3 DIT ,4R100 , CCSB , Rwd 3.73 , 10.5 limited slip , 5th Wheel & Class 4 hitch ....windows / Stuff / Factory Towing Mirrors / helper springs
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:21 PM

My Photos: (11)
I don't know what program your 94 manual has but I can tell you that Ford's upgrades on my 95, I had two upgrades, were both POS compared to the original. If you want an improvement have Jody at DP-Tuner reflash your PCM with one of his tunes. Don't allow Ford to flash your PCM. One improvement you will get with a reflash is it will be OBD compliant.

2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, AT, 4x4, CC, LB, Line-X, B&W Turn Over Ball, RBW Lil Rocker modified to fit B&W, Milemarker hyd. winch.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
9VS slide-in,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
24 ft. fifth/w slide, Century topper, old classic Sooner 18' 4 horse stock trailer. StarFlyte by DynaMax 6.8 V10

Formerly:
SC LB PSD. 4x4, With lots of Goodies. Twas a good truck.
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Larry thanks I pluged in my OBDII scanner and didn't get any thing so I am sure that would inprove. What do you think about that DP-Tuner 80 econo jody has. What do you think that would do for me?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 PM

My Photos: (2)
That burn works good for me, and it also enables the AIC.

'94 F250 supercab 4x4, original owner, 4.10LS, DIY elec fuel, Tymar air intake, Adrenaline HPOP, Beans tunes on 4 position VA chip, VDO gauges (boost,pyro, outside temp), Ford digital AIC, DPPI downpipe, gutted EBPV and turbo pedestal mod, Con OFE clutch, add-a-leafs front and rear, Monroe Reflex shocks, Milemarker 449SS hubs, towing 25' Mallard travel trailer

coming soon: 6.0 IC
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM

any one know what parameters change with updated flash files? Can it still be done to a 1996?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 PM

I still have the original OBD-1 Program in my 94. Have considered the same issue; mostly to get the benefit of OBD-II Diagnostics. But; runs good, has decent power, good MPGs; so I am inclined not to mess with it until necessary.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM

My Photos: (11)
Quote:
What do you think about that DP-Tuner 80 econo jody has. What do you think that would do for me?
I would expect a definite increase in power and a boost of 1 or 2 mpg when unloaded. If your 94 tune is anything like what my 95 had originally, heavy load/towing mileage will probably be close to the same. I've never been able to top the towing mileage of my 95. The throttle tip in may be slower than your 94 program, for econ reasons, which may take getting used to. Make sure you tell Jody to include an OBD-II upgrade to the program. Also, not all OBD-II scanners will work on PSDs. Jody may be able to make some tweaks for high altitude. He surely has learned some things while live tuning out here. I know he was able to de-smoke my econ tune. It needed it at this altitude and with my injectors.

2010 Ram 3500 Cummins, AT, 4x4, CC, LB, Line-X, B&W Turn Over Ball, RBW Lil Rocker modified to fit B&W, Milemarker hyd. winch.
9VS slide-in,
24 ft. fifth/w slide, Century topper, old classic Sooner 18' 4 horse stock trailer. StarFlyte by DynaMax 6.8 V10

Formerly:
SC LB PSD. 4x4, With lots of Goodies. Twas a good truck.
If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost.
Larry
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 AM

Email Jody. My PCM is out to him right now getting a 60Hp tow installed. I emailed him and he was very helpful in giving me all the details and made a recomendation based on my type of use for the truck. I can't wait to get it back and pull the RV.

Marty

1995 F350 CC 7.3L PSD Auto 2WD 3.55 , Tymar Intake,Tymar down pipe, stacked plate tranny cooler,triple pillar gage pod, Ford rebuilt Tranny 06/05, over 230,000 miles
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Pcm

Well I did it, I called Jody as most of your guys or should I say the team suggested, I ordered a PCM with 60 Econo with codes. This will give me the latest, 97 program with the ODBII update. After discussing with the man Jody, he thinks it would be the best as I hall a camper in the summer and tempís could be an issue. You know us Colorado guys just have to get over these mountains and to those hunting and fishing areas as quickly as possible. Again thanks for the help and the Ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in