1988 F250 7.3L IDI questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1988 F250 7.3L IDI questions

Help everyone how are y'all today I have a few questions the past two days I have put new zd9 plugs injector installation kit the caps were leaking and a new cdr. From eBay before when waiting to start there was a clicking before the new glowplugs they were all bad one end has burned off autolite pos plugs is the gpc or gpr soppesed to click at all with new one it does not I only ask because it was 50 degrees today and it took a bit of cranking to get it going as it sit while I was at work when it did start the engine reved up and it ran a little rough for just a second I had lots of blue oil smoke I though was.bad cdr valve it was using a lot of oil I've only had it on for a day and it still smokes maybe it has to burn the rest that's in there not sure I haven't done the clear fuel line on the IP yet will on payday what size hose do I need I have read about the batteries being low can cause hard start as well as low oil bad starter old IP after its warm it will start right up so I was gonna rule out Iold IP but I'm not sure I'm new to diesel but not turning wrenches ill tell ya the simple design of the idi has taught me a lot just a few newbie questions I've tried to do my research before an unnecessary post hope its not too much trouble and thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Also when I'm driving and it starts to blue/white smoke it sounds like it runs different maybe a miss nit sure but you can hear a pop from the exhaust sounds like the Massey on our farm
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

If Im doing something wrong about my posting or if there's a easier way to get replays please let me knoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks Guys couldn't have done it without ya from what I have read I bet its a bad exhaust valve
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM

My Photos: (0)
All so cdr does not "use" oil, it will be any thing other then that, the cdr only really comes into play with a very very plugged up air filter under high revs, it is in part to help prevent a run away, and to prevent the crank being subjected to excess vacuum.

I'd do a compression leakage test to see how the rings are fairing (Will all so help trace any more bad valves)

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
If Im doing something wrong about my posting or if there's a easier way to get replays please let me knoe
Yessir, as someone said on another forum:
Quote:
I'd like to take this opportunity to nominate your post for our new "Run-on Sentence of the Month" contest.
You should be a shoe-in for the February prize, which just happens to be a box of commas and periods.
No offense, but with no punctuation and with sentences running into each other, it makes your post difficult to figure out.
jmshawii likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-05-2015 at 09:48 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeonpony View Post
All so cdr does not "use" oil, it will be any thing other then that, the cdr only really comes into play with a very very plugged up air filter under high revs, it is in part to help prevent a run away, and to prevent the crank being subjected to excess vacuum.

I'd do a compression leakage test to see how the rings are fairing (Will all so help trace any more bad valves)
My Cdr was letting an oil mist back into the intake. It was quite a heavy mist.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Yessir, as someone said on another forum:

No offense, but with no punctuation and with sentences running into each other, it makes your post difficult to figure out.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I would be graded on my grammar skills. I will try to do better. Its hard enough as it is to post from my cell phone.
jmshawii likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:37 AM

Lightbulb

zd9s are good if you can find them- autolites are crap .. my GPC clicks after it heats the glow plugs up-- don't know about bad CDR- never had a problem w mine --w ZD9 GPs and a 7.3 GPC- due to how they sense the heat of the GPs, 8 good GPs at dead cold will heat for 10-14 seconds before cycling on- off- when 2 plugs die it will not be on long enough to really heat the GPs-- as the heat goes up- resistance goes up so fewer gp working fool the GPC into thinking the engine is hotter that it really is --so it stays on for a shorter time -- make sense??

'91 E350 7.3 , facet Duralift fuel pump , snglmass flywhl, ZF 5spd trans, 2 piece drive shaft, 3.55 d60 lsd moosiahmobile project.... '81 volksdiesel Frankenbunny ,more Audi than Golf OR Rabbit!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycraighead View Post
My Cdr was letting an oil mist back into the intake. It was quite a heavy mist.

CDR does not change this.

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycraighead View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I would be graded on my grammar skills. I will try to do better. Its hard enough as it is to post from my cell phone.

Take your time to type it out, the more clear things are the easier it is for us to grasp your issue.
jmshawii likes this.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
CDR does not change this.
Well it fixed my problem. No more oil in the intake or air filter. Before you could catch the oil with your hand inside the intake
With the screen removed ofcourse.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosiah View Post
zd9s are good if you can find them- autolites are crap .. my GPC clicks after it heats the glow plugs up-- don't know about bad CDR- never had a problem w mine --w ZD9 GPs and a 7.3 GPC- due to how they sense the heat of the GPs, 8 good GPs at dead cold will heat for 10-14 seconds before cycling on- off- when 2 plugs die it will not be on long enough to really heat the GPs-- as the heat goes up- resistance goes up so fewer gp working fool the GPC into thinking the engine is hotter that it really is --so it stays on for a shorter time -- make sense??
Makes sense. I am going to swap over to manual control anyway. I've hurd many a story about go getting burned up do to comming on every time you turn the key. Not sure if that's true if like you said it senses the temp. Having no parking brake it gets cut off and on to much just to go to the store. One autolite plug looks like it eather burned off or broke and there is a tick on that cyclinder. I might post a picture to see if y'all think its broken off or burned.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Take your time to type it out, the more clear things are the easier it is for us to grasp your issue.
I will and apologize for being a smart butt. I'm just flustered about my truck being down. I hate driving the car but don't want to cause and further damage to the engine.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm having trouble uploading the picture. I will upload it on my pictures on my profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in