The Diesel Stop banner

'1989 F350 7.3L IDI Very Poor Acceleration!

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Barnaby Burgess 
#1 ·
Hello! I am a long time Ford truck enthusiast and I have owned a few diesels but I have just purchased my first IDI. It has around 144,000 on the truck and engine / transmission. It has an automatic transmission with overdrive on the dash. It starts easily, runs well, and drives well. The problem is that it barely moves when you push the accelerator. It revs what I would say is normal, but the truck barely moves. I it is on a slight hill like in my yard where it is parked, it seems like it isn’t going to move, it revs but the wheels barely turn. I really have to push the pedal down for it to move. Once it’s moving it’s fine, although it sometimes shifts rough. I know IDI’s are no where near as strong as the Powerstroke but I wouldn’t think it should be this bad? I am wondering if the torque converter is going bad? It’s like the transmission slips until it hits a certain RPM then it moves. SLOWLY. Thank-you for your help!!

#2 ·
Try putting it in neutral, get it slightly above idle maybe 1,000 rpm and drop it into gear see how it grabs. If it is sluggish, then you might have trasmission troubles, or maybe just low on fluid. I can't tell you much more than that. I try to stay away from automatic transmissions especially in old used trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.