'1990 F350 7.3L IDI - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'1990 F350 7.3L IDI

Hey guys-

Chipping away at one problem at a time on this truck since I got it. My most recent issue was it died on the freeway and I think it was because the pick up line in the tank (front) is broken. The sending unit also doesn’t work on that tank, and both tanks don’t fill easily with fuel.

My plan is to pull the bed, replace the front sending unit and both fill necks, along with probably doing the “harpoon Mod” I’ve seen discussed here. Any other suggestions while I’m in there?

The main reason for this post was to ask for opinions on sending units; brands and suppliers. Anyone had good luck with certain ones? Any that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:02 PM

Might want to check out this site, www.gastankdepot.com They have the units at a pretty fair price. Have not gotten any form them yet, but do need some for my 1990 7.3
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 4614 View Post
Might want to check out this site, www.gastankdepot.com They have the units at a pretty fair price. Have not gotten any form them yet, but do need some for my 1990 7.3
I was looking at that site just before I wrote this up. So many brands I thought I’d see if anyone had input. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Does your gauge move at all in the front? Just did mine and I should've thought more into it before spending 130 on a sending unit cuz turns out all mine was was the float on the unit had a hairline crack in it which caused it to fill with diesel and therefore become useless.
I simply popped out the float from the new unit (which is good since it didn't fit) and popped it on the old one. But mine basically read "E" constantly but I noticed once that I went over a bump and the needle moved.
As far as the filler neck I just got a flathead screwdriver and put the neck on a vise using the flathead with a wench on the end to carefully widen the oval on the bottom for the vent. Only filled it up once since then but it didn't choke once while I did. (Whereas before I had to sit there and hold it on the slowest setting so it didn't burp and kill the pump)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

From what I can tell the gauge never moves, ever. I’ve heard of the float having a crack, and that’s entirely possible but I don’t want to pull the bed and the sending unit off and not have a part in my hand.

What brand of sending unit did you get? I want to make sure not to buy the same one if it doesn’t fit. The sending unit hasn’t worked for years, but it’s entirely possible it is the float. The dip tube must also be bad because it won’t run on anything lower than about 15 gallons in the tank, and I think it holds 18.

Also, I’m having a hard time picturing what you did to the fill tube. Did you pull the tube off? Where did you put the screw driver? I just can’t picture what you’re describing.

Thanks for the reply.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 AM

Not sure what you have, but chances are unless you have the FX4 off-road package you can sneak the sending unit it the front tank without having to pull the tank. The FX4 off-road package has skid plates in the tanks but you can drop the skid plate on the front and keep the tank in. IIRC the skid plate on the back supports the tank. That's how it is on mine at least. But I recently dropped and cleaned my front tank after pulling just the sending unit only to find that the shower head attachment was missing... which meant it most likely disintegrated in the bottom of my tank. Been there, done that with the rear tank and fouling the fuel lines causing it it die on the road. So instead of waiting for that to happen I dropped the tank, rinsed dried and vacuumed it, then put the old unit with the new float and now I'm all good.
The whole screwdriver fuel thing didnt work out as well as I'd hoped but I can still fuel better than before. Basically if you go to your gas cap on either tank and unscrew it you'll see a little oval just under where you put the nozzle. This is a fueling vent if I'm not mistaken due to the fact that the whole filler neck assy has a hose that goes straight from the nozzle to the tank the outer part that you see is a protective shell/vent and I just widened it by kinda prying it with a screwdriver. You'll see what I mean when you drop the tank.
You could pull the bed I just have a 200lb headache rack and a full toolbox bolted down so pulling the tanks is easier since I don't have a hoist. I can get the sending unit info for ya but if it's just the float I'd try a junkyard. Maybe a buck or two and a little free time but it beats $130

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 01:43 AM

But yeah when I pulled the front tank I had the whole assembly bouncing around in the bed while running off the back tank so I put the filler neck in the vise and used a flathead with a wrench on the end for leverage to widen the oval. Just had to remember not to switch tanks while in the process

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in