7.3 IDI engine with 5 bent push rods on one side? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 IDI engine with 5 bent push rods on one side?

I recently purchased a non running 1992 Ford F-series truck w/7.3 diesel engine, 90,000 miles and the drivers side valve cover was off and about five of the eight push rods were moderately bent. I have not checked under the other valve cover yet! Can anyone recommend the steps to take to find out why this happened? The Government owned the truck and they just turned it in for a replacement truck, it sat for a year and they don't remember what happened to it. Should I pull the head/s first? Why would so many push rods bend? water in the fuel? I think a leaking head gskt may cause one or two push rods to bend but, five? I would pull the heads but it may be better to leave them on to diagnose the problem? any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Re: 7.3 IDI engine with 5 bent push rods on one side?

[ QUOTE ]
The Government owned the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what happend to it ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2006, 10:04 PM

My guess is that your timing chain is broke thus throwing your engine out of sync.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2006, 10:43 PM

My Photos: (5)
Send a message via AIM to lgettler

What timing chain? and where is it located.

If It's not broke, Fix it until it is broke.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 Ford F250 XLT, 7.3 IDI with E40D and 3.55 rears, Banks Sidewinder Turbo with 3 inch Flowmaster Delta Flow muffler, Transmission Temp Gauge, Boost Gauge and Pyrometer gauge and a new paint job. Better known as the Grayhound, long legged, fast and powerful. Retired Truck/Bus driving Instructor
Old 10-01-2006, 11:15 PM

Have you tried turning the motor over by putting a socket and flex handle on the front crank shaft pulley? The motor could be cavitated or it could have a cracked head. You may as well pull the head and see what the cylinder walls look like. If it's been sitting for a year with water in a cylinder it'll need to be overhauled anyway.

1988 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto C6 now ZF5
1990 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 auto E4OD. now ZF5
1992 F250 7.3 diesel 4x4 ZF5
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What timing chain? and where is it located.

[/ QUOTE ]

they run a Chain??? I thought it was all Gears.

Front of the Engine, have to pull the water pump off, Harmonic damper and the nthe front cover can come off.

Diesel Rod
Old 10-01-2006, 11:59 PM

My Photos: (16)

You're correct. All gears.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:05 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I would pull the other side and check them,replace the bent ones and any suspect rocker arms, drain the oil and change the filter and try to run it. I saw one that a guy used to start it and go cold and the excess oil pressure caused the lifters to pump up and bend some push rods. Turned out the relief was stuck, nothing else was hurt in that instance, good luck

91 F350 crew cab 4x4 7.3 ats and intercooled with cut down 2000 ps cooler, bigger turbo comp,head studs, torque cam, coated rockers , balanced. very good power.

made 218hp/461tq on a mustang dyno lasst dec with 80k on the rebuild
pyro,boost and all stock guages ignored with mechanical real ones
Fugitive sandrail. type 4 2840 turbo fi, lots of fun

PM please not visitor message
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM

I stand corrected. The GM diesel has a timing chain where the Ford is all gear driven. I would still start with timing marks and then go to the gears themselves. Push rods don't just bend from usage, they bend because they are not in sync with the cam.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 PM

Bent pushrods are caused by two things one stuck valve in guides, but 5 valves,not possible second was to over rev engine and float the valves, if the govenor in the IP pump is working it should not overspeed, but that is where human error comes to play, like downshift in too low of gear going down hill will overspeed engine. Do a cylinder leakage test on the each cylinder make sure it did't hit any pistons or bend any valves, maybe you can get by with just replaceing push rods. Once started chech the governed speed make sure it works.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM

My Photos: (4)

What is moderatly bent? I know I had 6-7 that I replaced because they wouldn't roll across my table saw top (flattest thing I could find at the time). I'm talkin maybe a 1/16".

92 F250 XLT S/C,7.3 IDI,4X2,3.55,E4OD
02 F350 Lariat, CCab, SB, 7.3 stock 4x4, Towing Cherokee 285B 5ver
02 FLHRCI Pearl White
Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM

They bend because they hit the pistons. Your being new to these motors is not a problem. We all started where you are. First off the pistons clearance between the head and itself is .030... Now thats about 10 pieces of notebook paper. Not much room for anything. You will probably end up pulling the heads. If so pull the motor. Its so much easier. There is an easy way to remove the motor if you go that way. I wont talk about it now. Sometimes the lifters break up and cause the valves to kiss the pistons too. These lifters are roller lifters. The same type are in the early chevys and the powerstrokes. The best thing to do is turn the motor over by hand and see whats going on. Then post back what you see. Plenty of help here....
Old 10-02-2006, 10:16 PM

My Photos: (20)

[ QUOTE ]
If so pull the motor. Its so much easier. There is an easy way to remove the motor if you go that way. Sometimes the lifters break up and cause the valves to kiss the pistons too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this all too well. I have a set of new heads sitting in the living room. And looking at my current situation, yeah pull the motor. BTW-you can get the oil pan off while the block is in the truck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2006, 07:10 AM

My Photos: (1)

Hydrolock would cause your bent rods.The air breather is known for letting water in through the wing nut if the rubber seal is cracked or missing,the hood seals go bad as well which allows water to sit on the breather cover.It only takes a small amount of water to hydrolock and bend a few rods.

1992 f-350.4x4 srw.rebuilt e4od.rebuilt injection pump. no soup bowl,no muffler,straight pipe.. 8 foot power angle Artic blade/7 1/2 ft p/a Fisher blade. 280,000kms and counting.Paint to come.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:38 AM

My Photos: (109)

Being as it was a gov truck I would side with over reving....could be someone tried to blow it up screwing around.

I would advise pulling the engine and checking things out......

93 F250 7.3 IDI S/C XLT 4X4 E40D 3.55LS, Captains chairs, Tutone Mocha, Leer 48" Hiboy cap, FR & RR hitches, full DeeZee running boards. Factory ordered/delivered Jan 93

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in